What about this?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

stinogoal

What about this?

Post by stinogoal »

I composed this track yesterday. I hope it is good for wesnoth :)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11259371
Boldek

Re: What about this?

Post by Boldek »

This. IS. AWESOME. I haven't heard a piece like this one in a long, long time. :) If I was a dev, this would be going in, but I dunno.
did you use MuseScore?
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

:) Hey there,

That's a pretty nice piece you've created. Though the vocals do seem rather synth-like, and the Wesnoth music standards are pretty high, so I'm pretty sure that the Lords of Music (the ones in charge of Wesnoth's music development) won't approve of that too much. But to my (albeit amateur, I'm not much of a composer myself) ear, the other samples sounded pretty good, and the orchestration seems well-done. I especially like the part where the drums come in, it reminded me of something, but I can't figure out what...

But even if the Lords of Music don't approve the piece for inclusion in mainline Wesnoth, I know for a fact that there are many user-made add-on authors who would love a chance to use music like this (myself included :wink: ).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

A good start.:)
Are you able to tune drum-sounds? If so, tune the bass-drum A and F, then add them (maybe, from the middle).
It's going to make the music better, I think. :wink: (You know what I mean, right?)

Well, just my opinion though. (you don't really have to listen to what I said.)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
stinogoal

Post by stinogoal »

First of all, sorry for my bad english...then, thank you all for the feedbacks :)
Boldek wrote: did you use MuseScore?
No, i don't
artisticdude wrote:Though the vocals do seem rather synth-like
Choir is not a synth, but records of a really choir, so i'm a little confused about this thing XD
SkyOne wrote:Are you able to tune drum-sounds? If so, tune the bass-drum A and F, then add them (maybe, from the middle).
It's going to make the music better, I think
Concerning tuning of the drum, i can't tune it because (also the orchestra is not a synth) it's not timpani, but bass drum and it cannot be tuned.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

stinogoal wrote:
SkyOne wrote: Are you able to tune drum-sounds? If so, tune the bass-drum A and F, then add them (maybe, from the middle).
It's going to make the music better, I think
Concerning tuning of the drum, i can't tune it because (also the orchestra is not a synth) it's not timpani, but bass drum and it cannot be tuned.
Aah, okay. Now, I am not sure what West tuned...
Maybe, just a contrabass...?
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

It is great- I like it. :D
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
lipk

Post by lipk »

Though the vocals do seem rather synth-like
Choir is not a synth, but records of a really choir, so i'm a little confused about this thing XD
Is the female solo near the beginning also real? It sounds strange. It's like if the notes overlapped each other a bit. Also, there's an odd change in the singer's voice tone at 0:27 and 0:36.
stinogoal

Post by stinogoal »

Yes, it's also real (that is a boys choir, not women)
lipk

Post by lipk »

So, in fact, you can't really edit this song? It'd be a pity. While it already sounds great, I think it could have been still improved a bit.
Anyway, thanks for it :)
stinogoal

Post by stinogoal »

I uploaded a new version at the same link. I tried to fix some issues (first of all, the solist boy at the start of the track)
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

lipk, your avatar is tripping me out :)

I like this piece stinogoal, in the beginning up to about 2:00 or so, I think you could come up with some more creative harmonic functions though. The I/IV at the beginning is pretty cliche, and at :26, the harmony is just too modern for the style of the game. Think Romantic Classical, 19th/20th century.

The bass choir at the end are making some weird noises, it just sounds like "dah dee dah ded dah dee dah dee dah dee", sounded weird to me.

Keep it up though, develop it some more and I want to hear more of it!

-Tyler
stinogoal

Post by stinogoal »

Thanks for the suggestions! :)
perseo

Post by perseo »

Well, I'd' better not say anything against Tyler opinion coz IMHO he knows more music than I but I think that daa deee... it's the way the choir vocalises (maybe in english this word doesnt exists) for making it not a line but steps. Kind of not being leggato I mean.
¡Salud! And thanks for your work
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Aurigon

Post by Aurigon »

stinogoal wrote:I composed this track yesterday. I hope it is good for wesnoth :)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11259371
Astonishing tune stino! :shock: My jaw dropped when I first listened to it... to think, I immediately registered to that site in order to download it and now I'm keeping on listen to it over and over again! :D
(Detto tra noi, è un pezzo talmente intenso e solenne da risultare perfino sprecato per un giochino del calibro di Wesnoth... che peraltro adoro. Sarà pure un brano sperimentale, ma è davvero una composizione eccezionale, prossima ai livelli delle produzioni da mass market stile Warcraft e compagnia cantante. Se fossi in te, e se tu avessi delle reali ambizioni a sfondare in questo settore, ti suggerirei di inviare questa o qualche altra demo alla Blizzard... loro hanno fiuto per il talento e chissà che non ti richiamino.) :wink: