We are in need of the following music -

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

We are in need of the following music -

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Short, storyline music (not epic battle music).

:30-1:45 in length, should not be too over orchestrated, but simple and convey a story (again, not too epic).

Replacements for the following tracks are also needed:

Loyalists, and Main Menu Theme. I want to lengthen this one so as not to have it be so redundant.

-Tyler

EDIT: Removed Northerners from the list.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: We are in need of the following music -

Post by zookeeper »

Tyler Johnson wrote:Replacements for the following tracks are also needed:

Northerners
Surely you mean the old northerners.ogg (which isn't even shipped anymore), not the current one by TreizeCouleurs?
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

zookeeper wrote:Surely you mean the old northerners.ogg (which isn't even shipped anymore), not the current one by TreizeCouleurs?
I didn't know that was ever committed. Ok, scratch the Northerners replacement then.
high_credo

Post by high_credo »

Hi Tyler,

I´m playing wesnot for a while, just for little entertainment.
Fairly good projekt.

Would be a pleasure to help.

Here is an example for my experience in audio.
http://www.myspace.com/scherbes

High Credo
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

high_credo wrote:Would be a pleasure to help.

Here is an example for my experience in audio.
http://www.myspace.com/scherbes
Hello high_credo,

Maybe, I should not comment any, but ...
The music itself is not bad. It is like image music for (something like) yacht sailings. But it is too simple for BfW from my point of view. It is only C and Am rotation, isn't it? Actually, the keys of most of music in the default are minor, including music that Tyler Johnson pointed. If you would like to polish up this music, you should probably make an own thread, I guess. I think that Tyler Johnson needs something else... (totally, no offense. Just an advise from an ex-musician.:) )
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
lipk

Post by lipk »

If I remember well, replacing Loyalists doesn't come up for the first time. Lastly, the idea was discarded because many expressed their dislike of it. As for me, I feel that a more march-like music would better fit the title 'Loyalists', but the current track is so nice and unique that I wouldn't support its complete removal anyway.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

I'm wanting the older tracks to be replaced with higher quality samples. Although the form and music might be a great fit, the samples are outdated.

If someone wants to transcribe it and re-arrange the piece using higher quality sounds, be my guest, or completely re do the song in its entirety.

-Tyler
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

high_credo, welcome to the forums.

A better idea would be to post something Wesnothian instead of linking us to synthesized music. This is not an ad forum.

Please read this.

Thanks,

-Tyler
lipk

Post by lipk »

I'm wanting the older tracks to be replaced with higher quality samples. Although the form and music might be a great fit, the samples are outdated.
Okay, you're in charge here. What I wanted to give away as an objective critique is that Loyalists is subjectively one of my favorites :)

What about Frantic? To be honest, that one sounds much more outdated for my non-musician ears.

PS: I'm excitedly waiting for the new tracks :)
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

I like Loyalists as well, so if someone wants to tackle a re orchestration using the same themes with higher quality sounds, I'm open for that :D

-Tyler
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

I always thought Loyalists sounded to spooky to be that faction's 'theme song'. And the fact that it's just a longer version of Revelation with drums added is kinda lame, IMO. Still though, it is a catchy tune that I hope doesn't change to much :)

*Peanut gallery out*
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

Hi guys,

Just finished a short storyline piece after I saw the request by Tyler J - and yeah, just looking for any opinions and feedback you all have :D The piece changes mood very quickly in the minute or so - I wanted to convey someone's life flashing by very quickly - childhood at the start to be followed by *insert something bad*, and the grim task the hero realises he has to do...

Link to an mp3 version - http://www.box.net/shared/22za0er4f86mjt4ke34s

Specifically to Tyler J - I wonder whether this is up to par with current wesnoth mainline - to MY ears it is pretty much there, but TBH, that doesn't speak for much (I'm biased, and my ears are full of earwax) :P , so I'd be particularly grateful for any comments regarding that.
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

That's quite nice :)

Overall, I would make it start a bit faster, not because it would make the piece any better, but because many scenarios have very little dialogue, so the players would miss a lot of the theme.

.50 - .54 is a bit choppy, so to speak. I would try lengthening the length of each note.

This should probably be in a new thread.

'Professor Max'
Please excuse my bad English - my first language is BASIC.

Proud to be a citizen of Nowhereisland.
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

professor_max wrote:That's quite nice :)

Overall, I would make it start a bit faster, not because it would make the piece any better, but because many scenarios have very little dialogue, so the players would miss a lot of the theme.

.50 - .54 is a bit choppy, so to speak. I would try lengthening the length of each note.

This should probably be in a new thread.

'Professor Max'
Hehe, I thought Tyler J meant music in between the scenarios when the storyline progresses. IMHO, I don't know what others would think, but I don't see the problem if players miss a little of the theme at the end. But I dunno, you could be right about what developers would want.

I completely see what you're getting at between 0:50-0:54. It's probably down to the patch I used which is more legato, so when notes got shorter, it sounds cut off. I guess I'll spend some time messing around with articulations there. I also considered whether to create a new thread for this, but I wasn't too sure whether it was worth it...hopefully won't make much difference though.

Thanks for the feedback, you raised some valid and useful points there :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention incase anybody notices, the first timpani hit at 1:01 seems a little too loud, so I'll probably tone it down a little
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

CheeseLord wrote:Hehe, I thought Tyler J meant music in between the scenarios when the storyline progresses.
Sorry, I should have said story, not dialogue. What I meant was that some campaigns may have very little story, such as:
Some hypothetical campaign wrote:Tired, but not defeated, they marched West to Dorset.
Even with a map a map and the loading screen, that would be at most 15 seconds on a fast computer ( for those lucky enough to have one :) ) But please don't think I think this would improve the piece as a piece, because the progression is really good.

'Professor Max'
Please excuse my bad English - my first language is BASIC.

Proud to be a citizen of Nowhereisland.