Composer (Contribution)

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

charly

Composer (Contribution)

Post by charly »

Hi,

I'd like to join your team.

I just created a first soundtrack for your game that you can listen here http://www.orchestre-millenium.net/Final.mp3

Here is a sample of my other works : http://www.myspace.com/charlyjouglet/

Hope you'll like it

Wait for your reply

Best wishes to all
Last edited by charly on December 31st, 2010, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Re: Composer

Post by StandYourGround »

Speaking as a member of the peanut gallery, my opinion doesn't hold much water. However, I like that music a lot, and I can imagine it fitting very well in a battle scenario or in some epic story segment.
I will now resume lurking silently.
charly

Post by charly »

Thank you very much!

I'm glad you like it. Composing music, is something I can't live without. However, sadly, I never composed for a video game, and I really want to do that. I spend a lot of my time, composing music or sending email, hoping that someone will choose me as a composer for his game.

I'm still hoping...

Have a good new year!

Charly
http://www.myspace.com/charlyjouglet
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

charly wrote:I'm still hoping...
The folks in charge of the music department (Lords of Music) are often not able to be around. So hang in there, silence is not rejection. :)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
charly

Re: Composer (Contribution)

Post by charly »

Thanks a lot for this clarification.

Charly
http://www.myspace.com/charlyjouglet
charly

Post by charly »

Hi!

I'm preparing another piece of music for Wesnoth Project. This will be in a medieval style with celtic harp, irish flute, solo violin and a luth.
Stay tuned :wink:

Peace

Charly
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Don't know how I missed this...

Great piece, I especially enjoyed the part at 0:45. The chanting part at 1:17 seemed a bit... odd for wesnoth music, but I'll leave that up to the Lords of Music to decide. Looking forward to hearing more. :D
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
charly

Post by charly »

Hello!

Ok that what I thought :D
Thank you very much for this comment. I understand that the chanting part can sound "too much". That's why I'm preparing another composition.
But I can modify this part if it is necessary.

Peace

Charly
Max

Post by Max »

this sounds really promising.
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

Awesome stuff!! Definitely some of the best stuff I've seen here for a good while :D What samples and rig do you use??

I love it, nothing else to be said about it really. You've really caught onto that spacious atmosphere, and it's only really a few little things to polish up really!

The beginning had me tuned in with that nostalgic NWN ambience I felt. I love the harmonies here, and there's a really smooth transition into the main section. The only thing I'd say is that the instrument placing seems a little queer in my ears - I'm guessing you're trying to make them seem louder, but the drums all seem to be frontstage with the rest of the orchestra further back? Also, it might have been nice to use the good old Hans Zimmer strings staccatos under the percussion.

From 1:18 onwards, as Telaron mentioned, seems a little queer. TBH, it stinks of loop & copy paste mania :p - I'm not sure whether you're using a choir library for that, but if so, maybe consider adding some different syllables, and perhaps tone it down a little in sharpness and intensity for it to mix better with everything else and not stick out like a sore thumb.

After that, the following transition could have perhaps get more active with some other drums in between to create some complex rhythms? I dunno, just throwing out suggestions. It was a very nice wind down from there on, though it might be effective to use a rit. somewhere near there too. The constant beat seemed also a little too extended at the end - it may be better to end after one bar of 4.

Overall still, cracking stuff!! Its superbly held together seamlessly by the drums and there are numerous instances of wow 1337 ;) . I highly anticipate more stuff from you /thumbsup
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Charly, great work. The harmony in this is great.

If you're considering this for mainline, I would take all of the spoken words out. It doesn't really fit with the theme and style of Wesnoth. It's more suited as a film technique., think Revenge of the Sith :D

One other thing is the timpani/percussion could use some beefing up. Layer some more percussion to give it more of a punch, it just sounds a tad thin. Other than that, great work, and if you can submit a version without spoken words, and fatter percussion, I wouldn't hesitate to submit this to mainline.

-Tyler
charly

Post by charly »

Okey!

I'm really excited and really honored that you like it.
So I did what you asked me to do: I deleted the voices and percussions are much fatter.
You can find the file here:http://www.box.net/shared/pa9ysecj5b.
And if you think, there's too much percussions, I put the volume a little lower in this one:
http://www.box.net/shared/phbbyhsuuk

Thank you for all the attention you brought to my music.

Kind regards

Charly
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sounds good! I took some notes for the fatter percussion version. (I'm not a musician, so if you disagree, then feel free to ignore):

0:00-30 could be louder (in general, the whole thing seemed to be at a quieter level than the other wesnoth music)

0:40 coming in with strong percussion is good, but brass could be stronger or both more evenly matched

1:10 (New section) -percussion is overboard, it would sound less electronic if it varied a bit more (dial it down 1:20->1:26, then bring it back 1:36). It's OK as it is at 1:50, but other stuff needs to be able to get heard.

~3:20-3:43 I thought we were going somewhere, but it dies out... It is unfinished?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
charly

Post by charly »

Okey!

So here's a new version, with new reverbs and a new mastering:
http://www.box.net/shared/my53oqjxc4

I think it's better.

Bye

Charly
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I think this could make good music for a final boss fight.

The voices sounded nice but I agree that they were out of place for the game, especially that amount.

We'll see what Tyler says next. Thanks for being patient and working to improve it.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."