Not dead.

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

West
Retired Lord of Music

Not dead.

Post by West »

I'm really sorry for my absence as of late. I know there's a lot of stuff here that demands my attention but I've had a lot of things on my mind the latest months. First and foremost I'm going to be a dad within maybe two or three weeks, which is a concept that takes some getting used to (despite having been aware of it for more than eight months!). Between that and moving to a new DAW, I haven't had much energy to devote to Wesnoth. But I will be back before long, so be patient.
Rain
Music Contributor

Re: Not dead.

Post by Rain »

Wow. You'd prioritize a firstborn child over Wesnoth? for SHAME!

:D

Good luck man. That's awesome

I haven't had any energy for Wesnoth either given IRL considerations... but that's okay.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Congratulations, West, that's amazing :)

Do you have a name planned out? Please share with us any pictures when your baby is born.

Back to music: I personally look forward to anything you've come up with. We're always listening.

Also a new DAW? You're not getting the new Logic Studio, are you?
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Rain wrote:Wow. You'd prioritize a firstborn child over Wesnoth? for SHAME!
I know, right? My priorities are all screwed up :D
Rain wrote:Good luck man. That's awesome
Thanks Rain.

ancestral wrote:Congratulations, West, that's amazing :)
Thanks!
ancestral wrote:Do you have a name planned out? Please share with us any pictures when your baby is born.
Well we don't know whether it's a boy or a girl, but we have a few alternatives. Boy names is hard though, especially since 95% of them mean "god rocks!" or something, which feels kinda wrong (as both me and the Missus are atheists). But yeah, I promise to post a few pictures :)
ancestral wrote:Also a new DAW? You're not getting the new Logic Studio, are you?
Heck no, I'm not even on a Mac. I bought a REAPER license a couple of months ago and let me just say that it was money well spent. Takes a lot of relearning though.
Huston

Post by Huston »

First off let me say congrats! i hope he/she is born strong and healthy.

West wrote:
ancestral wrote:Do you have a name planned out? Please share with us any pictures when your baby is born.
Well we don't know whether it's a boy or a girl, but we have a few alternatives. Boy names is hard though, especially since 95% of them mean "god rocks!" or something, which feels kinda wrong (as both me and the Missus are atheists). But yeah, I promise to post a few pictures :)
1) tell me about it my name (christopher) means Christ bearer. the irony: I'm Jewish even though i don't believe there is a god. i think the idea of god(s) is just a way ancient civilizations explained the things they couldn't comprehend

2) do atheists celebrate birthdays?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Huston wrote:1) tell me about it my name (christopher) means Christ bearer. the irony: I'm Jewish even though i don't believe there is a god. i think the idea of god(s) is just a way ancient civilizations explained the things they couldn't comprehend
Not to pull this thread into a tangent, but most "Christian" names are actually Hebrew, and Jesus himself was Jewish.

I'm not sure if I consider myself an athiest. Perhaps I do. But why wouldn't athiests celebrate birthdays? There's nothing specifically religious about a birthday.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Huston wrote:First off let me say congrats! i hope he/she is born strong and healthy.
Seconded, though anything to the contrary is unlikely. Have you seen pictures of West? Contemporary viking. I can imagine West on the battlefield, shouting war cries and laying waste to vast legions of invasive barbarians simply by looking at them.

Rest assured the child will be strong enough to pull the ears off of a walrus within the first few minutes of birth.

West wrote:Well we don't know whether it's a boy or a girl, but we have a few alternatives. Boy names is hard though, especially since 95% of them mean "god rocks!" or something, which feels kinda wrong (as both me and the Missus are atheists). But yeah, I promise to post a few pictures :)
I've often thought about what I would name my children one day. Something traditional like Conan... or something a bit more esoteric and unique like 'Bowling Ball'. Bowling Ball Reilly. Has a nice sound to it.

Although, one can never go wrong with the names Prometheus or Bon Jovi. It's worked before, or so I hear. If it's a gal, Bon Jovina would probably work just as well.

I remember hearing a story about my great grandmother, whose parents were 'planning' on a boy and had already picked out the name Cecil for the eventuality. As luck would have it, she turned out to be a girl. They were furious! How dare nature bestow them with anything less than a male heir. However, rather than allow such an unscripted moment to hold dominion over them, they simply named her Cecilia. 'Problem' solved! woot
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Huston wrote:2) do atheists celebrate birthdays?
Yes. Why wouldn't we, birthdays aren't (or, since you ask, I guess don't have to be) a religious occasion, they're a celebration of how long you've been alive...

As regards names I'd suggest that you just go with a name you like, and who cares what it means. Mine means 'lover of horses' (Philip), but I like it anyway - it's my name, and I wouldn't change it. Though I usually do shorten it, and I just realised that the shortening actually just means 'lover' which is awesome =D

Or name your child after a Wesnoth character. You could be the first =D and we would think it truly awesome.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Rain wrote:
Huston wrote:First off let me say congrats! i hope he/she is born strong and healthy.
Seconded, though anything to the contrary is unlikely. Have you seen pictures of West? Contemporary viking. I can imagine West on the battlefield, shouting war cries and laying waste to vast legions of invasive barbarians simply by looking at them.

Rest assured the child will be strong enough to pull the ears off of a walrus within the first few minutes of birth.
This is the norm for a healthy swedish baby. :P Is it something, american babies can't do? :lol2:

By the way West, my name is Stefan and i would be delighted if you name him after me. If it will be a girl, you could name her Stefanie.
Or name your child after a Wesnoth character. You could be the first =D and we would think it truly awesome.
Oh, please no. The kid has to live with the name it's whole live.
2) do atheists celebrate birthdays?
Sure, they do, but they are not bound to the day they were born. If they have their birthday in winter, they are allowed by god, to choose another day in summer, when the wheather is warm. :!:
Last edited by vonHalenbach on July 30th, 2009, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Oh, and congratulations, of course. It goes without saying to my mind =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

vonHalenbach wrote:Is it something, american babies can't do? :lol2:
Absolutely not! American babies are born with the ability to max out credit cards, eat lots of junk food... with unique traits per individual. I was born with the ability to break any and all furniture. I was a happy baby!
Oh, please no. The kid has to live with the name it's whole live.
Fantasy nicknames probably worked out great back in the Dark Ages, when people couldn't read or write. Golfenbeorgen, the Orc Slayer of Durgenban would be really hard to write on a name tag for first day of preschool.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

West wrote:(...)First and foremost I'm going to be a dad within maybe two or three weeks(...)
Hey Man, that's great! I wish you and your family all the best possible! :)
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Rain wrote:eat lots of junk food
I wondered why you'd want to call a kid Bowling Ball but I think I get it now.
Rain wrote:Fantasy nicknames probably worked out great back in the Dark Ages, when people couldn't read or write. Golfenbeorgen, the Orc Slayer of Durgenban would be really hard to write on a name tag for first day of preschool.
:lol2:
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Aleksi wrote:Hey Man, that's great! I wish you and your family all the best possible! :)
Thanks Aleksi!
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

Wow, congratulations West!