Something new...

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Something new...

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Well I'm back on my ship now so I won't be able to frequent the boards as much, but I have some more free time to get some writing in. Here's a clip of something I started a few days ago, not really sure if it's Wesnoth material, it's more of a storyline piece like it should be sync'd with a movie or something.

http://www.tyler-johnson.net/page4/file ... r_Clip.mp3
marcusvinicius

Re: Something new...

Post by marcusvinicius »

That remember wesnoth music, why is it not wesnoth music
Anyway, nice job.
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Hmmmm.

I see what you mean. The piece is clearly of high quality (and uses Wesnoth-appropriate instrumentation), but it doesn't currently convey the air of conflict that would make it into a "battle piece". That rapid staccato of drums suggests that it could lead into a battle piece, but that's not currently the overall impression I get.

I'm sure our masters of music can offer guidance as to how to guide this piece towards mainline inclusion. Alternately, there are always plenty of UMC designers who would love to have unique storyline music - I'm sure that this piece, if completed, will find a use either way.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Adri42

Post by Adri42 »

This sounds good!

The beginnig sounds really spectacular. While I was listening to it, I was thinking of a dwarvish undergroud city. Towards the end, the piece looses the somber mood a bit, maybe because the last three chords sound a bit ordinary.

But I woud not recommend to take my critique too seriously (most likely you won't do this anyways, which is not a criticism), because I don't know how the piece will continue (of course I'm very curious).
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Yeah, it gets a little "Shostakovich" at the end there, but I bring back that somber section at the end of the piece, which I will post later when it's all finished. I don't know, maybe West can give a little insight if this would fit in Mainline, I'd rather not just let someone use it for UMC or whatever it is, I guess for me it's either Mainline or nothing :D . The newer version has changed a bit, and I may re-work that chord progression, it IS very "ordinary" as you put it.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Very nice Tyler, i see some evolution on your work! Continue, i really like it! Not too much to say, i love the way it is going!
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Some significant changes have been made, but here is an updated (if not final) version:

http://www.tyler-johnson.net/page4/file ... hadows.mp3

I decided to call this one Into the Shadows, it was mostly inspired by one of Aleksi's tunes "Darkness" that he didn't submit, but is a great track. After listening to it about 74 and a half times on repeat, I began writing this one. :D

I am pretty happy with the new PLAY sounds compared to the old version I had, they're more consistent so to speak. Not too much color difference in instruments. The old version sounded like they were all recorded in a different location. This is more "uniform" I guess.

EDIT: some changes were made from the original version, mostly the 2 bar percussive section was removed to maintain the mood of lurking in the shadows, and the latter half of the piece had to be transposed to comply with the replacement section for those 2 bars that were removed.
Adri42

Post by Adri42 »

Me wrote:Towards the end, the piece looses the somber mood a bit, maybe because the last three chords sound a bit ordinary.
Invalid, because now those chords are in a nice contrast to the added part.
A few suggestions:
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Tyler Johnson wrote:I don't know, maybe West can give a little insight if this would fit in Mainline
Well, it's a very good piece. Really dark and dramatic and as you say it sounds like something out of a movie. Which is actually a bit problematic, as I'm not sure if this would work as gameplay music. As for using it as story music, a) we have more than we can use already, and b) this piece is a bit too long to be used in a story scene. So I honestly don't know what to say. I like it very much, but I'm not sure where it would fit in.

Some input from developers and campaign maintainers would be welcome here, I think.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

West wrote:
Tyler Johnson wrote:I don't know, maybe West can give a little insight if this would fit in Mainline
Well, it's a very good piece. Really dark and dramatic and as you say it sounds like something out of a movie. Which is actually a bit problematic, as I'm not sure if this would work as gameplay music. As for using it as story music, a) we have more than we can use already, and b) this piece is a bit too long to be used in a story scene. So I honestly don't know what to say. I like it very much, but I'm not sure where it would fit in.

Some input from developers and campaign maintainers would be welcome here, I think.
Well, I think it'd probably fit well enough in several places. Plunging Into the Darkness in HttT? The land of the dead scenarios in DM? The occasional dark and dramatic epilogue or story scenario? As story music it's pretty different to what we have now, and even though it clearly isn't much of a battle scenario track, there's other kinds of scenarios too.

And yes, it's a good piece too. ;) I also like how that flute (?) thing in the very beginning (repeated at about 0:13) very much reminds me of some track in FFVI, the esper theme I think.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

zookeeper wrote:And yes, it's a good piece too. I also like how that flute (?) thing in the very beginning (repeated at about 0:13) very much reminds me of some track in FFVI, the esper theme I think.
Funny you say that, I have been listening to my collection of Nobuo Uematsu recently, so perhaps I subconsiously put a little Uematsu touch to it :D

Well, I'm ok either way, I actually didn't write this specifically for Wesnoth, I just started writing. Like I said, it was mostly inspired by one of Aleksi's tunes, so if you want to add it, that's awesome, but if not, no problems there.

-Tyler
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

West wrote:
I suppose you referred to mainline developers, but from a UMC-developer point of view, for what it's worth, having this added would not hurt since one is always on the lookout for the most fitting music when developing a particular scenario. For instance, my campaign (A Rough Life) has two scenarios take place in the "Shadowlands" where this tune (fittingly called "Into the Shadows") would fit just nicely. Good job!
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

I trust zookeeper's judgment when it comes to campaigns, so if he says the tune will fit in, I'm all for mainlining it. I think it's a great piece, it's just so cinematic that I had a hard time picturing it in a scenario.
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Excellent. What is now the follow-up procedure - should I wait for the tune to be included in the core library and released with the next stable version (ie, will this happen moderately soon?), or should I go on and add it to my own campaign library?

And, if the latter, I suppose the mp3 file should first be converted to the ogg vorbis format. Will any free converter do or is this something that should also be done with care and skill? Either way, thanks!
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Jaques, I'm glad you would like to use my music for your campaign, however I would like for you wait if it gets included, just so there aren't multiple version of it floating around. West encodes data onto the .ogg file about the composer, genre, year, etc. and would rather you use his final version than my mp3 version. Let's wait until they decide if it's going in, thanks.