Journey's End

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CheeseLord

Re: Journey's End

Post by CheeseLord »

Mediafire is a possible alternative hosting site........100mb file max though I think, you'd probably have to split up the files into section to download.
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
abousta

Post by abousta »

May be we should contact the administrator of wesnoth.org ?
The idea is that if West can upload good free samples in the wesnoth.org server itself, that collection could become the reference for every musician contributors here.
That's interesting for the game because it would give a sound consistency in all levels.
A few experienced people would select samples that would be a reference and give a consistency to the game, while musician contributors would give variety through their different compositions.
What do you think about that?
Max

Post by Max »

what's wrong with torrents? it's legal stuff, i wouldn't mind "hosting" it.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

CheeseLord wrote:Mediafire is a possible alternative hosting site........100mb file max though I think, you'd probably have to split up the files into section to download.
Nah, those file hosting services are good for temporary stuff, but useless for things you want to make available for a longer time. If someone doesn't download a file for x amount of time, it gets deleted automatically.
Max2008 wrote:what's wrong with torrents?
1. You can't update the contents once the torrent is released.

2. We'd need several 24/7 seeders to ensure good download speeds and maximum availability.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

abousta wrote:May be we should contact the administrator of wesnoth.org ?
The idea is that if West can upload good free samples in the wesnoth.org server itself, that collection could become the reference for every musician contributors here.
That's interesting for the game because it would give a sound consistency in all levels.
A few experienced people would select samples that would be a reference and give a consistency to the game, while musician contributors would give variety through their different compositions.
What do you think about that?
Well, I'm not going to try and convince everyone to use these free samples. That would make absolutely no sense since most of our contributors own commercial sample libraries that are much more flexible and powerful than the free stuff (including me, I'm just not too fond of the stuff I have so I've been experimenting a lot with free samples). If I had somehting like VSL or EWQL platinum I would feel slightly offended if I wasn't allowed to use it. We want the music to sound as good as possible, so I'll keep encouraging composers to use only the very best stuff that they have. We're not going to compromise with quality only to get more music in the game.

Newbies who insist on using cheesy-sounding GM sounfonts is a different matter though. Having a repository like this, we can point them to it and say "you need better samples, if a commercial library is out of your reach you can give these a shot".
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Why not use a DropBox account for Wesnoth music stuff? With a free account, you can have up to 3 GB of space forever, and it's synced with a local folder on the hard drives of those connected to the account. You can make any file(s) publicly accessible, and file modifications and deletions can be undone up to 30 days after the fact. Way better than most file hosting sites I've ever used.
Last edited by StandYourGround on October 22nd, 2009, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will now resume lurking silently.
abousta

Post by abousta »

You're right
I've heard of this program/hosting service and it looks simple and brilliant.
We should try that
Zero_G

Post by Zero_G »

Hi Lord of Music, congratulations, I really love your new tune! :mrgreen:
I'm a digital music composer too, and I was curious about which software you used to compose and render it... I'm a Reason user recently switched from Renoise, and I'm quite happy with it, but I was curious about this kind of more neo-classical style music!
(if you like, you can listen to what I have already done on my website http://www.zerog.biz/content/view/19/33/)

PS: I also recommend using Dropbox for file sharing and distribution, I use it for my work everyday and it really made my life much simpler!
-=[ Zero_G ]=-
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Zero_G wrote:Hi Lord of Music, congratulations, I really love your new tune! :mrgreen:
I'm a digital music composer too, and I was curious about which software you used to compose and render it... I'm a Reason user recently switched from Renoise, and I'm quite happy with it, but I was curious about this kind of more neo-classical style music!
(if you like, you can listen to what I have already done on my website http://www.zerog.biz/content/view/19/33/)

PS: I also recommend using Dropbox for file sharing and distribution, I use it for my work everyday and it really made my life much simpler!
Hey Zero_G and thanks, I'm glad you like my "new" five months old tune ;)

Journey's End was created with Cubase SX 2, SFZ Player, Mo Verb and the soundfonts listed in the first post of this thread.
Rocket Slug

Post by Rocket Slug »

West wrote:
Max2008 wrote:what's wrong with torrents?
1. You can't update the contents once the torrent is released.

2. We'd need several 24/7 seeders to ensure good download speeds and maximum availability.
Hey West, just dropping in for a little clarification. While I can't immediately find a solution for updating the contents of a torrent easily without republishing the torrent file (feasibility would depend on how often it's updated), the bittorrent protocol supports the use of web seeds.

Basically, this allows torrent clients to download from an HTTP source (such as Tyler Johnson's server) if there are no other seeds to connect to. This would fix the availability issue. I'm not saying you have to use bittorrent, but it would be unfortunate if you weren't fully aware of the feasibility of it all. Also, besides the usual torrent hosting sites, you can also try out free trackers such as OpenBitTorrent, PublicBitTorrent, and Denis Stalker.
hagabaka

Post by hagabaka »

Updating the torrent doesn't need to be much extra work over updating the files. If you want to provide a single torrent for all the files, it would be easiest with a host that allows you to run scripts. You can upload the files, run a script to automatically recreate the torrent, and possibly the web pages.

Or, you can also organize the files as a few packages, and create a torrent for each. Or even just use one torrent for each file. When updates are made to one package, the other packages aren't affected, so their files don't need to be reindexed. This approach allows anyone with the right to upload to the host, but not run scripts on it, to easily update a file by uploading it and the torrent containing it. You can create Metalink(s) for convenient downloading of collections; in a Metalink you can provide download methods for multiple files, and each file may have bittorrent, http, ftp and other transfer links. When file links are changed/added/removed, it is fairly easy to edit the Metalink and upload its new version.
My favorite addon campaigns (made by others): Swamplings | Galuldur's First Journey | To Lands Unknown | The Devil's Flute