Journey's End

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

Re: Journey's End

Post by SkyOne »

West wrote:In order to listen to it, you should read the entire thread and not just click on the first link that you see.
Oh, sorry about it. I just got it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: So good!! As music, this is one of the best personally. :smile: May I use it in my campaign? This will fit at my ending.

P.S. E-minor, isn't it?
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

SkyOne wrote:Edit: So good!! As music, this is one of the best personally. :smile: May I use it in my campaign? This will fit at my ending.

P.S. E-minor, isn't it?
Thank you. And sure you may use it, I only ask that you wait until I post a *really* finished version. IOW, please don't release the current one anywhere else.

E minor/E dorian, yes. The tune moves through all sorts of key changes though.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

West wrote:Thank you. And sure you may use it, I only ask that you wait until I post a *really* finished version. IOW, please don't release the current one anywhere else.
Off course.:wink: and my campaign is not published, yet, so not a problem at all. Currently, love_theme.ogg has been installed at the part, and I was suppose to install my music which has been created already, but yours is much better than one I created, so I will use mine one another time or somewhere else. (actually, the music I created was not into a file, yet.)
SkyOne wrote:P.S. E-minor, isn't it?
West wrote:E minor/E dorian, yes. The tune moves through all sorts of key changes though.
E dorian? How is the scale like?
Maybe, replacing from C and D to C# and D#?
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

SkyOne wrote:E dorian? How is the scale like?
Maybe, replacing from C and D to C# and D#?
No, just C# instead of C. If you raise D to D# as well, it turns into some other mode, melodic minor I think.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

West wrote:No, just C# instead of C. If you raise D to D# as well, it turns into some other mode, melodic minor I think.
Oh, I see. Thanks. I believe that you are right. I leaned it a long time ago, but a good thing of music is the theory has never changed, not like computers.

I really like the sound of oboe, anyway.:smile: Thank you for nice music. I kind of have lost motivation to make own to be a file since I listened yours. In fact, I do not really have to do it any more. (I have to buy a keyboard (instruments) to do it.) So could you tell me how long it takes to be published? (just guess will be fine.)
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

That was music to my ears, West. Very well done. I was a musician for four years but certainly no composer, which leads me into a very minor nitpick: the trumpet around the 2:20s seems like an oddball here. I was glued to the listen then I instantly noticed this, perhaps it's too "brassy" - not sure of the right word. Would any substitute sound better? In any case, a Wesnothian piece to be certain.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

SkyOne wrote:So could you tell me how long it takes to be published? (just guess will be fine.)
Oh, not long. Either later tonight or tomorrow. I want to make sure I get everyhting more or less right this time.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

West wrote:Oh, not long. Either later tonight or tomorrow. I want to make sure I get everyhting more or less right this time.
Oh, that quick.:smile: Yeah, it sounds completed. Thanks West. I am glad that I get really nice talking with you.

Have a good one.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

SouthernOracle wrote:That was music to my ears, West. Very well done. I was a musician for four years but certainly no composer, which leads me into a very minor nitpick: the trumpet around the 2:20s seems like an oddball here. I was glued to the listen then I instantly noticed this, perhaps it's too "brassy" - not sure of the right word. Would any substitute sound better? In any case, a Wesnothian piece to be certain.
Thank you, glad you like it.

Personally I like the trumpet, it adds a triumphant feel to the 'grand finale' part that I find very fitting. Besides, how do you make a brass instrument less brassy? You saying I should use a plastic trumpet? ;)
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Ha! Like I said it's not much of an issue, and I'm not that familiar with that section. I don't know if a different variant of trumpet would work (i.e. the B flat or C trumpet) or another horn altogether, just to experiment. It probably is one of those two anyway - shows how good my ears are :annoyed: . My almost invisible nitpick centered around that "brassy" rag time sound. I trust your judgement. 8)
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

West wrote:Personally I like the trumpet, it adds a triumphant feel to the 'grand finale' part that I find very fitting.
Yes!! I really like that part also. Because of E dorian (has C#), you converted perfectly (smoothly) to A major, instead of using G major as usual. It makes that part more impressive. I have a request to you. (it is probably too late.) Could you please make that part repeats one more time? I mean A to E7 (these are just my guess), probably eight measures, including the part of D major->A major->B minor->E7 if it is acceptable for you.

Well, this is just my request. :smile: You have probably tried it, then canceled it already.

The music will be on Epilogue to the ending title on my campaign (thank you for acceptance). Would you like me to install your name particularly for this music on the credit list of the ending title? My campaign, Fate of a Princess, by me, Simons Mith and mich, will probably be published from the end of this month to the beginning of next month. All twenty of my scenarios are playable, but I would not like to published it until it is completed as well.

Thanks.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

SkyOne wrote:I have a request to you. (it is probably too late.) Could you please make that part repeats one more time? I mean A to E7 (these are just my guess), probably eight measures, including the part of D major->A major->B minor->E7 if it is acceptable for you.
Sorry, no. That would mean a lot of work for very little, if any, real benefit. The second half of the grand finale, right after the harp gliss, is in C (lydian?) for the very reason that I did not want to repeat the theme in the same key and with the same progression again. It defeats the purpose of the key change, IMO.

Why do you want it to repeat anyway? Is the piece too short?
SkyOne wrote:Would you like me to install your name particularly for this music on the credit list of the ending title?
Yes, I'd like that.

Anyway, a new (and hopefully final) version is imminent. I just need to listen to it a couple of times, possibly fix some small things, then mix it down and master it.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

West wrote:Why do you want it to repeat anyway? Is the piece too short?
Not really. I mean that the part is not too shot. But each time I listen to it, I feel that repeating the part one more time is better. The whole music shows how hard the Journey was, but the part, I mention, shows the hope to the future or the glory of victory. (that what I get from it) So, showing the hope or the glory more might be better. This is from my feeling though, not from the theory at all. (you can change the rotation at the second time maybe...I know that it is too late, but I still love it a lot.:smile:)
SkyOne wrote:Would you like me to install your name particularly for this music on the credit list of the ending title?
West wrote:Yes, I'd like that.
Good. I got it!!
This is not the official, but is it fine for you, or you would like to be installed as real name?

Code: Select all

[about]
        title= _ "Ending Music (Journey's End)"
        [entry]
            name="West"
        [/entry]
    [/about]
Thanks.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

This'll have to do.

I'm at the point where if I keep tinkering, I'll only make things worse. You know, when you've listened to a tune so many times that parts that sounded fine before are starting to bore you, and before you know it you're adding new stuff just to make it sound 'fresh' again...

I'm still not happy with the snare during the grand finale. It sounds sloppy, but I can't seem to get it really right. I hate playing pecussion on keys, I should really invest in some pad controller.

I just realized that one of my influences is REALLY shining through in the aforementioned part. A cookie to the person who can spot it :)

SkyOne: As for the credits thing, please use my real name, Mattias Westlund.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

West wrote:I'm at the point where if I keep tinkering, I'll only make things worse. You know, when you've listened to a tune so many times that parts that sounded fine before are starting to bore you, and before you know it you're adding new stuff just to make it sound 'fresh' again...
Oops, did I make you confused? If it so, sorry about it. The music has been very good already, so you do not really have to improve it, but I still think that repeating (or just repeating the first part of A->C#m->D->E7?) the part I mentioned makes it better.
West wrote:I'm still not happy with the snare during the grand finale. It sounds sloppy, but I can't seem to get it really right. I hate playing pecussion on keys, I should really invest in some pad controller.
I was not able to hear anything wrong for snare drums, and pad controller sounds expensive. (if you are in U.S., I might be able to help you to get it, but...)

Actually, there is a problem to me. It is really my fault. I downloaded the file you just posted, then it was not able to be listened, so I change its format from .ogg to .mp3, but it was the file that whole music was in. (my big mistake) Then, I tried to replace it back to .ogg, but the format has never changed since then. Even I tried to re-download one on page 1, it is unable any more. I mean that I do not have anything to listen to "Journey's End" currently. (sorry about it)

You are actually incredibly gifted. It is totally different from me.
Probably, getting relax makes you find fresh and nice idea.:smile: