Non-Wesnoth works

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Re: Non-Wesnoth works

Post by Tyler Johnson »

I'm a member at OCRemix, but I haven't spent much time on the site/forums. There are some really great remixers there, but honestly, this FFVII Medley is the only thing I have remixed...I'm just a pianist/composer mainly, that was just a "for fun" project.
dontano

Post by dontano »

Tyler Johnson wrote:I'm a member at OCRemix, but I haven't spent much time on the site/forums. There are some really great remixers there, but honestly, this FFVII Medley is the only thing I have remixed...I'm just a pianist/composer mainly, that was just a "for fun" project.
I guess that the "for fun" philosophy is main source of all musical beauties existent on the web and non. By the way, I got a nice collection of OCRemix tracks, including FFVII: Voices of the Lifestream. Super Buck Jazz is a must (Super Mario Bros. 2, Overworld jazz/big-band remix)! :wink:
Trust yourself first, then trust others.
Current activity/ies: what...!?
Flametrooper

Flametrooper's Debut

Post by Flametrooper »

This is something I wrote the other day, just for fun and out of curiosity. I have pretty much no experience/knowledge of digital composition or orchestration; also no money, so this was made in Anvil Studio. It's not intended for Wesnoth - it'll probably be some more training (and a lot more money) before I'm writing Wesnoth-quality stuff. Looking for advice; comments, critics, praise, hate, "get off our forum", etc.

So without further ado I present, just under two minutes, Flametrooper's Debut also titled The Storm. (just click "download file" on the right and fill in the mini-captcha)
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

I'd forgotten about this thread. I did something a while back for a brass quintet. The recording is not great (as I intended this to be played live), but you can listen to it here: http://gnexp.com/songs/bragtime.mp3. If any of y'all want sheet music let me know.
Gold Note Express (Owner) :: IRC name: eltiare :: Twitter profile
West
Retired Lord of Music

Re: Flametrooper's Debut

Post by West »

Flametrooper wrote:Looking for advice; comments, critics, praise, hate, "get off our forum", etc.
For some reason it made me think of ELP.

Musically it doesn't make much sense to me, it sounds very random. Before you do anything else though, I think you should get yourself some better stuff to work with. There's plenty of really good free synths and samples, so lack of money is no excuse ;)
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

jeremy2 wrote:I'd forgotten about this thread. I did something a while back for a brass quintet. The recording is not great (as I intended this to be played live), but you can listen to it here: http://gnexp.com/songs/bragtime.mp3. If any of y'all want sheet music let me know.
This belongs in mainline Wesnoth! xD
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

Hi, perhaps it's time to resurrect this thread. I'm doing a music for a demo (it's still a work in progress), it has to be eerie and someway strange. What do you think of it?
definitive version here -http://www.taxi.com/leone_gianmarco (track name "Phoenix")
Spi

Post by Spi »

I'm listening to it now and it seems, at least to me quite good. Does seem to stop just short of 3 min and then start again, but I'm supposing this is why it's called phoenix.
The last ascendance (crescendo too?) leaves us in suspension, maybe add a little conclusion? As if to conclude that the phoenix has arisen again.
I also noticed a female choir at the beginning, but which seems to disappear afterwards. Maybe revive it in the end, once again for this sort of "circle of the phoenix" you're going for? (I'm making suppositions here).
Otherwise the choice of instruments seems rally good with the flute and strings blending in and echoing the main theme... it feels like a great melody.
It fits when I try imagining it into Wesnoth, so I suppose I'm all good to hear more. But...
I might be completely beside the point in which case feel free to ignore me. Besides I didn't even contribute yet so I'm not a valid critic. Take it from the peanut gallery... and I'll leave West and the other music contributors to give the go.
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

Spi wrote:I'm listening to it now and it seems, at least to me quite good. Does seem to stop just short of 3 min and then start again, but I'm supposing this is why it's called phoenix.
The last ascendance (crescendo too?) leaves us in suspension, maybe add a little conclusion? As if to conclude that the phoenix has arisen again.
I also noticed a female choir at the beginning, but which seems to disappear afterwards. Maybe revive it in the end, once again for this sort of "circle of the phoenix" you're going for? (I'm making suppositions here).
Otherwise the choice of instruments seems rally good with the flute and strings blending in and echoing the main theme... it feels like a great melody.
It fits when I try imagining it into Wesnoth, so I suppose I'm all good to hear more. But...
I might be completely beside the point in which case feel free to ignore me. Besides I didn't even contribute yet so I'm not a valid critic. Take it from the peanut gallery... and I'll leave West and the other music contributors to give the go.
Ops, I forgot to mention that this music has been composed to fit the main title of a short film, so it i not for Wesnoth (this is the non-wesnoth works thread) and the "strange" structure is because of it. Anyway your observions all make much sense.
(for example, there is a church where you hear the choir, and that's why it exist in the first place )
thank you anyway!
ciao
Gianmarco
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Going back to my roots for the sake of exploring REAPER and just generally doing something else for a change. Composing orchestral stuff is a lot of fun but it's not the only style of music I enjoy making.

It's been a looong while since I recorded any music of this kind so I feel a little rusty. This is not even a finished song, it's basically just an intro, and a sketchy one at that. The rhythm guitars are just placeholders, the lead is improvised, the drums are not finished. FWIW, I'm fairly happy (for the moment) with they way it's turning out, production-wise. Seems I have actually learned a thing or two about studio work since last time around in 2004 or so :)
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Haha, that's groovy West. Nice job with development. There is something very Joe Satriani about the demeanor of the piece.

;)
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Very Dream Theater-like for the rythmical parts. And a mix of Satriani and Michael Romeo for the solo parts. Nice guitar playing West!
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Rain, Aleksi, thanks for your comments. It's funny that you both mention Satriani as I have honestly not listened to the guy since 1992 or thereabouts. Of course, I still come from the late eighties/early nineties guitar hero school so maybe that's the sound you're hearing :) As for the Michael Romeo association I must say thanks for the compliment, though obviously my chops aren't even in the same galaxy as his (especially not nowadays). Symphony X is one of my favorite bands, as is Dream Theater so that comment came as no surprise. In fact I feel no shame about sort of emulating their more melodic/progressive style as they've moved in a completely different direction in recent years, i.e. some sort of guitar-dominated thrash metal type of prog metal.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

:shock:

Surfing w/ the alien is my favorite satriani album. I can associate the lyrical melodic stylings of the solo guitar of that album with what you're doing here. Nothing to be bashful of. The tunes are awesome. ;)

Btw, I ADORE that synth you use. Totally progressive rock.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Rain wrote:Btw, I ADORE that synth you use. Totally progressive rock.
Actually it's several synths. The blippy digital-sounding patches are, IIRC, samples from a Roland D50. The synth bass in the intro is Genesis. The lead is Minimogue VA and the strings are the Strings VLS soundfont, octave doubled. Not entirely happy with the last one actually; I've spent so much time collecting realistic strings samples that now when I need something obviously synthy, I don't have anything fitting :)