Over the Northern Mountains (Cold :P)

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mica

Re: Over the Northern Mountains (Cold :P)

Post by Mica »

Maybe the first one - but only because I wasn't expecting it. xD I think it sounds cool though.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Kobold

Post by Kobold »

very nice battle song.

just had a few troubles with some strong percussions at the 2/3 (cymbals, i think...)

May I say it's a bit too fast for my taste ?
kob
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Kobold wrote:very nice battle song.

just had a few troubles with some strong percussions at the 2/3 (cymbals, i think...)

The percussion is kind of overpowering in places, yes. But that's fully intentional for the most part. The dynamics still need tweaking though.

Too fast huh? Well I've written enough slow(ish), moody music. With this piece I wanted to do something different.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

West wrote:
Kobold wrote:very nice battle song.

The percussion is kind of overpowering in places, yes. But that's fully intentional for the most part. The dynamics still need tweaking though.

Too fast huh? Well I've written enough slow(ish), moody music. With this piece I wanted to do something different.
More and more, I'm thinking this piece is fine the way it is. The others can have their opinions, though. So be it.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Temuchin Khan wrote:More and more, I'm thinking this piece is fine the way it is. The others can have their opinions, though. So be it.
Thanks Temuchin Khan. It still needs a few tweaks though. I listened to it today and for some reason the trumpets are barely audible in places where they definitely should be. I don't know how that happened but I'll look into it.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

It's getting better, West. Way cool. A couple of quick quips:

I hear the same rhythm repeated throughout the entire duration of the song in one instrument or another, and I think it would be beneficial to mix it up a bit - especially with percussion.

At 1:06, the woodwinds/strings/bells can stand to be quieter (as you're probably aware).

Personally, I'd leave off the last four notes.

Overall, though, this is coming along great. I'm curious, what samples are using for the bagpipes?
Gold Note Express (Owner) :: IRC name: eltiare :: Twitter profile
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

jeremy2 wrote:I hear the same rhythm repeated throughout the entire duration of the song in one instrument or another, and I think it would be beneficial to mix it up a bit - especially with percussion.
You might be right. As you've probably noticed, I've sort of conveniently ignored the advice that you posted earlier in this thread. Not because I don't value your input -- I really do! -- I just know that trying to rework a piece that is more or less finished will only lead to it being unfinished forever. Once a tune has taken shape in my mind, it's really, really hard for me to change it. I have taken your tips to heart though, which can be heard (I hope) in Dark Passage.

As for the rhythm -- I know what you mean, and I will try changing it a bit here and there. It should be noted though, that for the most part the similarity between the various parts are fully intentional. This is not a piece that is supposed to have a lot of light and shade and unexpected changes.
jeremy2 wrote:At 1:06, the woodwinds/strings/bells can stand to be quieter (as you're probably aware).
Uh... there are no woodwinds at 1:06. And by bells do you mean the glockenspiel? I can barely hear it here.
jeremy2 wrote:Overall, though, this is coming along great.
Thanks!
jeremy2 wrote:I'm curious, what samples are using for the bagpipes?
IIRC, the bagpipe comes from a soundfont called "Celtix2004" or somehting similar. It is by no means a great sample but when masked by other instruments, it works quite well. The original version can only play in Bb mixolydian, which is perfectly correct as that is what many bagpipes do, but it makes the sample less useful. So I re-mapped it to make it chromatic.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

West wrote:You might be right. As you've probably noticed, I've sort of conveniently ignored the advice that you posted earlier in this thread. Not because I don't value your input -- I really do! -- I just know that trying to rework a piece that is more or less finished will only lead to it being unfinished forever. Once a tune has taken shape in my mind, it's really, really hard for me to change it. I have taken your tips to heart though, which can be heard (I hope) in Dark Passage.
Actually, it's been a while since I've posted on this topic so I had completely forgotten. I'm not offended if people don't take my advice. I figure it's your prerogative/problem. :)

West wrote:Uh... there are no woodwinds at 1:06. And by bells do you mean the glockenspiel? I can barely hear it here.
Yes, I meant the glockenspiel. After listening to it again, I would suggest just taking the strings down a bit. Could've sworn there were some wind instruments there.
Gold Note Express (Owner) :: IRC name: eltiare :: Twitter profile
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

You know, I was just thinking how fitting this music would be for Children of the Dragons campaign, and it occurred to me that this song also has a lot of Drake theme potential. Anyone else agree?

It had been a while since I listened to it, many versions ago during your "beer belly" pregnancy. I really loved the buildup to the ending at 2:30, although the part at 2:50 reminds me of someone dancing a jig (which would probably look reeeal funny for a drake)! I would like to see the "scary" theme parts like the very end 3:15-3:20 expanded a little.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Swift

Post by Swift »

Hmm it´s probably me, but I can´t find a way to open the ogg file mr.West! I really want to hear the tune!; ))

Jeremy, I really loved couple of themes in that song you added here in this thread!
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

commited
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

This is a great song, but was West finished with this?
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

It reminds me of... Scotland rebelling against England :shock: . And... Of the high seas :lol2: . I'm hearing it by opening 1.7.4 directory... So now I have a picture of Scottish Highlanders on ships fighting against the English XD. Nothing about the Northern Mountains :D . Still, the music's great.
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0