Song: Snowfall

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
jeremy2 wrote:There's a story behind this. This is a lonely person looking outside a window as it snows, wishing he could go out and do something but is too afraid of getting too cold or lost. I am depicting the loneliness, not so much the snowfall (though I am aiming to have that feeling as more of a background). However, the title "Lonely person looking outside a window while watching the snow" just does not roll off the tongue quite as nicely.
In that case, it all makes sense. Good work!
Thanks :). It has been updated again. The notes are just about where I want them, though it needs a bit more polish. I think it's now long enough where I want it to be. West, your insightful comments are welcome on the polish of the song.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

jeremy2 wrote:West, your insightful comments are welcome on the polish of the song.
Sure, I'll have a listen to it.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Hm. Yes, the song is now longer, but the patterns you added to the beginning do not fit together. I wish, i could give better critique or advice, but i am no musician.

Your beginning is sensational good, you just have to add something that tells a story.

Maybe you should use more instruments, but please don't use the instruments in those agressive screeching tones. This hurts only the listener. The missing middle part should be quite rythmical.
EDIT:
The beginning until 1:24 is good as it is now. I would add a group of flutes in the foreground with the harp in the background.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

vonHalenbach wrote:Hm. Yes, the song is now longer, but the patterns you added to the beginning do not fit together. I wish, i could give better critique or advice, but i am no musician.

Your beginning is sensational good, you just have to add something that tells a story.

Maybe you should use more instruments, but please don't use the instruments in those agressive screeching tones. This hurts only the listener. The missing middle part should be quite rythmical.
EDIT:
The beginning until 1:24 is good as it is now. I would add a group of flutes in the foreground with the harp in the background.

When you say screeching, do you mean from 1:46 to about 2:05? Perhaps I should tone that section down a bit... :D. I'm telling basically the same story, which admittedly is more a snapshot of time. The story's basically as long as the song is. If you have an illustration of something else that I could tell, I would look into changing the song. I do believe that we have different pictures in mind for the song. In my picture, the person just pines and decides to still do nothing. Perhaps you were expecting it to go somewhere? The "screeching" part was the agony of wanting to do something but too afraid to do it.

I personally like the section at 2:50 - 3:08, though I am now not liking the cello solo from about 3:30 to 4:00. The ending sequence is also a tad weak in my estimation. If any of you agree or disagree, I'm all ears.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

jeremy2 wrote:
When you say screeching, do you mean from 1:46 to about 2:05? Perhaps I should tone that section down a bit... :D.

Perhaps you were expecting it to go somewhere? The "screeching" part was the agony of wanting to do something but too afraid to do it.

I personally like the section at 2:50 - 3:08, though I am now not liking the cello solo from about 3:30 to 4:00. The ending sequence is also a tad weak in my estimation. If any of you agree or disagree, I'm all ears.
It screeches between 1:24 and 2:13. Maybe you should tone done the strings or exchange them or something else.

Yes, in my opinion a good song should go somewhere, tell a story, convey emotions, surprise me. (now it is quite lifeless)

I would express agony with a solo of maybe a cello, which get played very slowly, but with an expression. (like a single different song in this song) only the cello no harp. Then to surprise the listener all instruments together for some notes as a fill between two sceenes.

Imagine, that you are in the house. Outside it is snowing heavily and something hounted is outside walking in the snow. A creature, which drinks only warm blood, walks to your house. It takes not long and then it is there. :lol:

You could paint this picture with music. The footsteps of the hounted creature could be expressed with a marching sound. bass or chello. This can even be done in another speed. Use your imagination.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Thank you, vonHelenbach. The problem is that after so many hours of using my imagination, it starts to get a little muddled. I think I need to spend a few more hours playing racquetball and a few less sitting motionless at the computer....
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Snowball has been included, at last, in UMC "Invasion from the Unknown" and its music pack; will upload in a few hours.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

I guess somebody liked it. :) Do you have any suggestions Shadow Master? I keep thinking about this song and what I would do differently, though I have not much time lately.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Cool! Nice harmonic movement and development in the music.

One thing, the solo violin has little to no reverb trail on it and its creating a bit of an awkward pause whenever it stops playing. If you put a bit of verb on it, I think it would help out a lot.

Cool stuff.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re:

Post by Iris »

Resurrection in progress. Uhm... ohm.... uhm... ohm...
jeremy2 wrote:I guess somebody liked it. :) Do you have any suggestions Shadow Master? I keep thinking about this song and what I would do differently, though I have not much time lately.
Since I'm not musician, I don't have much to say about it. I added it to my campaign because I liked the melancholic feeling of it, which fits perfectly one of the leading characters. It also fits myself fine.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Re: Song: Snowfall

Post by jeremy2 »

Sweet. I'll be updating it eventually to add some more variation to it. I'm going through this and Vengeful Pursuit as I have time now.
Gold Note Express (Owner) :: IRC name: eltiare :: Twitter profile
egallager

Post by egallager »

jeremy2 wrote: October 21st, 2007, 4:20 pm Yes, I probably should finalize the other two before I start yet another one, but we had our first snowfall a short while ago. I had this vivid picture of a heavy snowfall with a lonely person looking out the window.

http://www.gnexp.com/songs/snowfall.mp3
This link appears to be dead (without having been archived by the Wayback Machine); is there a more up-to-date one available? Yes I'm aware the ogg file is still available in various UMC resource packs; I'm asking specifically about the original mp3.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

egallager wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:51 pm I'm asking specifically about the original mp3.
This must be your lucky day. I don't know how... But I retrieved it from one of my backups.
snowfall.mp3
(5.08 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
egallager

Post by egallager »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 8:56 pm
egallager wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:51 pm I'm asking specifically about the original mp3.
This must be your lucky day. I don't know how... But I retrieved it from one of my backups.
snowfall.mp3
Thanks!