Gameplay 06 is here!

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aleksi
Music Contributor

Gameplay 06 is here!

Post by Aleksi »

Ok, i did a mistake and called it "gameplay 06" on my audio application. I can't really rename all the files attached to it. So be it… Either Timothy will call his next music gameplay 05 or we will just name my next one like that!

So, it is almost finished, i still have to mix it, equalize it and change/add a few lines on a couple of instruments. But the structure is here. I thought you would want to have a glimpse…
It starts pianissimo and goes up to fortissimo to come back to pianissimo. Some people won't hear anything in the pianissimo sections because the volume is so low… i still have to mix that part to make it listenable on different speakers and still keep the crescendo effect!

I hope you will like it!

http://aleksi.free.fr/Wesnoth/

Once i finish it, i will upload it in either .aif (so someone can convert it to .ogg) or i'll post it in .ogg directly.

Aleksi.
new

Post by new »

WOW the sound/music is very VERY COOOOOOOOOOOOL
Last edited by new on November 29th, 2006, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

You're right, the difference in loudness it too much. If I put the volume to a level where I can hear the silent part in the beginning well I've got pull it down fast before the loud part starts. In the end there was a rather long section where I didn't hear anything at all btw.
Otherwise it sounds very nice and gives the right atmosphere for a game like Wesnoth IMHO.

BTW I think you should create the .ogg yourself. You've got trained ears and good equipment so you're best suited to judge the highest level of compression possible without loosing too much information. Just experiment with the settings and choose the smallest file with enough quality to satisfy you.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

torangan wrote:You're right, the difference in loudness it too much. If I put the volume to a level where I can hear the silent part in the beginning well I've got pull it down fast before the loud part starts. In the end there was a rather long section where I didn't hear anything at all btw.
Otherwise it sounds very nice and gives the right atmosphere for a game like Wesnoth IMHO.
It is true that the pianissimo sections are a bit too pianissimo. On the whole, however, a very nice piece! Good work!
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

I agree. The ppppp to fffff won't really work for game music, since you're supposed to hear all the music while keeping the game sounds at a normal volume. But I do like the audible* parts a lot, especially the effect the piece as a whole gets through the changes at 00:59 and 02:10 (not that I'd have any vocabulary at hand for music critique, so the only way I could describe it is like new :) ).

* (The audible part started around 00:15 for me and ended around 03:25, before and after was too quiet - at a volume where gameplay01-03 all seem to have normal loudness, I wouldn't hear anything.)
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Sweet.
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

You know, I just have to say it:

It's great what you and Timothy are doing for Wesnoth's music!
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Sounds terrific, other than the difference in volume. But you've said that will be fixed, so it doesn't matter much.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Thanks for the kind comments!

I will do the changes as soon as possible. The final version will be done towards the 15th of December. :)

Until then,

I salute you,

Aleksi.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Any chance of including this in wesnoth 1.1.13 / 1.2.0 (whichever is next)? Even if it's too late to go into the mainline campaigns at this stage, it would be very useful for UMC writers, and save you having to download a 3.5M attachment every time you download a campaign with the music in.

Alternatively, perhaps we need "Ye Newe Melodies Music Pack".
appleide

Post by appleide »

turin wrote:Image
ImageImageImageImage
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

15 dec is going to be really at the limit for 1.2...

we'll see how it comes out.

jet, do you have an ETA for the art part of 1.2 ?
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Boucman wrote:15 dec is going to be really at the limit for 1.2...
Hum… then i'll do my best to finish it earlier.

Aleksi.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

that would be really great, I love that music :P
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim