Looking for help with a new project!!!!!!

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ryn

Post by ryn »

It takes a few years to achieve the necessary proficiency to program a game like BfW, and Dave has been working on it for a few years IIRC (more than one, at any rate)
2B |! 2B = 3F
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Zombie Game

Post by Dave »

optimisticdancer wrote:How hard is it to learn a programming language?
For most people, very hard.
optimisticdancer wrote: How long would it take to programme a game that is similar to B4W?
Well, it depends heavily on skill and aptitude. A good programmer could bang out a basic engine in a few months, but that's a best-case scenario.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

Instead of learning a programming language like C++, you could get something like Torque (or many other similiar ones), it is supposed to be easier to learn than a programming language, and claims you can develop good games with it much faster than with e.g. C++.

Having said that, I'm not really convinced myself it is true though. I know of someone in another forum, who bought Torque2D for 100$, then on two weekends, tried to write a small game once in plain C, the other weekend in Torque2D. He failed both times to finish it (due to playing too much WoW.. but well..) :P
charlieg

Re: Zombie Game

Post by charlieg »

optimisticdancer wrote:How hard is it to learn a programming language? Just considering a plan B if I can't get anyone to champion my vision!

How long would it take to programme a game that is similar to B4W?
Don't bother, just use an existing engine. Between things like B4Wm, GemRB, and the other options out there (there are plenty) you'll be able to find something suitable with developers willing to help you use their engine.

e.g. I'm sure Dave would be receptive to bug reports, minor feature requests ,and help on using the Wesnoth engine.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

ryn wrote:It takes a few years to achieve the necessary proficiency to program a game like BfW, and Dave has been working on it for a few years IIRC (more than one, at any rate)
I started learning C almost ten years ago now.

Wesnoth has been going for almost two years now, but the 'core' engine (enough to be a fun, complete game, though without all of the 'polishings' we have today -- and without multiplayer) was written within six months.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dizzutch

Post by Dizzutch »

I'd definitely be willing to help out with some coding/design. My forte's [sp] are network programming and some graphics, but I'm definitely able to pick up and learn new things, such as engine and gameplay. I would show you my 'portfolio' if I had one, but I'm just trying to get into the Open Source gaming world. post back, or PM/email me if you need any more information, or have more on the game, the idea sounds really cool though.
-Dizz
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Learning a programming language is not easy but still a task to master if you bring in some basic skills, that is:
- a talent for abstraction
- a high "frustration limit"
- lots of patience and time

But to warn (not to discourage) you: It's not only the syntax of a programming language you have to learn, it's as well organizing your work and finding elegant solutions to your problems for there is always many ways to do things: Some are elegant and some are, well - not so elegant. The bigger your project gets, the more knowledge of that kind it needs to succeed. And this knowledge takes years to gather. Trust me, i am a developer, i know what i'm talking about and i don't think i am one of the more dumb persons around.

And no, even if i might have the skills to do it, my real life circumstances won't give me a chance to support you. :(
Sorry, nothing personal, just no chance to find the time for it.

There is a statistic where they compare software projects and if you look at the cancel-rate you will find that it increases, the bigger the projects get. The ones that really cost money (10+ million dollars) experience a cancel rate of up to 50%(!). Of course a game is not in that range but i would suggest you find someone quite experienced to manage that. He also should have done (and finished) a project of approximately the same size.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!