Other games

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

IMHO, a more fun type of game would be one with few people (5-20), which could be like an MMORPG in that the game itself never ends, you just log on and off. It has the fun of an MMORPG (hanging out with friends while leveling up your character) without the game mechanics depending on really large numbers of people. There would probably have to be a bunch of NPCs, of course.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
NTJedi

Post by NTJedi »

turin wrote:IMHO, a more fun type of game would be one with few people (5-20), which could be like an MMORPG in that the game itself never ends, you just log on and off. It has the fun of an MMORPG (hanging out with friends while leveling up your character) without the game mechanics depending on really large numbers of people. There would probably have to be a bunch of NPCs, of course.
Some persistent worlds in NWN have this type of setup... and with the DM functionality the realm never ends as new villans, quests and events are introduced by the DM.
NWN_2 is currently under construction
There can be only one.
~Highlander
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

What's NWM? :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

turin wrote:What's NWM? :?
Neverwinter Nights. A game by bioware. (it runs under linux, mac and win BTW)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

kshinji wrote:I am ambitious, but not way too ambitious. I am preparing bases to start project which will obviously need a big group of developers. I think itll need about 15 people to go on. So now i do the recruiting, tomorrow ill build the site (its a metaphore) and this way itll go.

Now, i already did some socket programming, so i know what i stand on. It aint so hard to build MMORPG. For sure not harder than building any RPG game. Now hard part is to make it so it doesnt need hypercomputer and 1TB/s internet.

But Sword And Crown could suceed, what do you think? Because this is the game i currntly want to focus on, as its way easier, and will give experience in socket programming.

Btw, problem with MMORPG's is that there are to few users and to many games. :-)
I would reccomend, if you want experience at making games/mmorpg's then you join one that is in development (more code is needed than one which has been around for a while) and then help out there.

Example (the forums, you need to log in to see them) (although I don't know if they are accepting help... It currently has two devs, and they are keeping the code under tight wraps, but it's just an example.)
NTJedi

Post by NTJedi »

Tomsik wrote:
turin wrote:What's NWM? :?
Neverwinter Nights. A game by bioware. (it runs under linux, mac and win BTW)
Yes if I was stuck with only three games the rest of my life Neverwinter Nights would be one of them. The game allows up to 64 human players to exist in a world/realm and roughly follows D&D rules. Your character can travel solo or have henchmen or have NPCs join or travel with other human characters... all your choice and depends on which module you play. The game includes a campaign, editor and DM functionality... even after you finish the campaign you can download any of the many thousands different modules or search for a world to join being hosted by a DM. With enough time someone might be brave enough to create their own world for others to play.
There can be only one.
~Highlander
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
kshinji wrote:Btw, problem with MMORPG's is that there are to few users and to many games. :-)
Why are you trying to deepen the problem, then? :?
@EP: If my game actually sees the blue skies, it would attract enough players. Cause most of MMORGs use 25% capabilities of their code. Just, people make engine to make all the physics, then they add few features, and they think they did all the game need.

Shortly: i think my game will be better :-P

I dont want to join other project. I wanted sometime ago, to contribute alchemy patch to crossfire, but it turned out, even smallest patch is too hard for me right now. My games will evolve and grow with me, allowing me to learn programming at my stage. Also i am individualist, so i prefer making game 100% what i want. If other people like it and want to contribute, okay.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Johann67

Post by Johann67 »

Yep, the start is easy-but there are already dungeons online and accessible that I've yet to be heard call "hard" instead of "insane"
Project leader of Heroes of Ardania (http://ardania.havocaos.com/)
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

kshinji wrote: I dont want to join other project. I wanted sometime ago, to contribute alchemy patch to crossfire, but it turned out, even smallest patch is too hard for me right now. My games will evolve and grow with me, allowing me to learn programming at my stage. Also i am individualist, so i prefer making game 100% what i want. If other people like it and want to contribute, okay.[/size]
You can't even make a small patch to some existing project, but you intend to make not one, but two games from scrath where one of them is a MMORPG. Dream on dude...

Even if you by some miracle manage to make an engine for an MMORPG, you still have 90% of the work left. MMORPG is all about content, and a lot of it. Just take a look at WoW.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

kshinji: You are completely doomed to failure. Hope ya learn from it though. :(
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Jetryl wrote:kshinji: You are completely doomed to failure. Hope ya learn from it though. :(
What he said.

One of the very few things I've learnt is that, if you go into a personal project with the goal of improving your skills, you'll end up a lot less frustrated if your goal is "produce product X". That's because there's usually a million steps of "not finishing project X" before the end, but there's an equal number of lessons to learn. :)
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Hey! Thats just what i said somewhere here i think...

Its to improve my skills - but i am pretty sure ill make it someday

The key word is someday.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.