futuristic version of wesnoth?

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

Oh gwiti is a multiclassed necromancer/engineer, quite clever.....
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Star-X

Post by Star-X »

Not all futuristic games use mechs...an example of this is PSO.

It'd be a LOT easier to mod Wesnoth to use PSO-like chars than to make Mechnoth (a combo of Mechwarrior and Wesnoth) , as the core code could remain almost the same, but the graphics and music could simply be modded to fit in with the new theme.

And I support the idea of making post-1.0 wesnoth either have built-in mod support (would take a major overhaul of online play, but could be implemented), or just make it easier to change the graphics without making your game incompatable with someone elses (if it even makes it incompatable)
Drassk

Post by Drassk »

It won't happen right now since I'm still in classes, but I'll be starting my second degree this summer (CS) and I'll be learning C/C++ over the course of the summer at a pretty functional level (I've been using Java so far, but I'll be doing something like 10 hours of coding/classes a day with C++ for the whole summer which is a lot of exposure).

At the end of the summer (if noone else does first) I'll be starting a Battletech conversion for Wesnoth (90% chance) which will actually require a good deal of new code but all the hard parts (graphics engine, sound) have already been done so it's not actually an insane amount. It will definitely be a code fork, though, and I'm not concerned with AI at all (I just want a nice way to play BT with friends over the 'net).

There's actually a lot of stuff in Wesnoth proper that can be reused. Especially the maps...they're at the right scale for BT, they include various terrains and levels (deeper water, mountains). Battletech is also on a hex system and hexes are actually pretty good to work with as far as algorithms go. Anyways, if anyone wants to talk about it then drop me a line. I've actually been considering this project for awhile but never looked in the forums.
pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

dont give up on this idea i personally think it has potential. Even if people do want to pull it apart. The problem is it sounds time consuming and hard to get the man power behind you. Also finding willing artists here is like finding someone hot in EB ... yes well any way i will pretend that wasnt part of the post if EB isnt in your country dont ask. Then we are agreed the point is if you find people willing i will be like some sort of communist leader leeching of your life force and claiming i have given you some sort of new age garden of eden... Im not sure what the point is but i like this idea. But maybe not mechs like some people could have mechs and maybe soldiers... or something like that... Ignore the rabel im in rampant mood.
pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

I remember the point
Future wesnoth sounds fun and if my current project falls through this idea right here was second on my list of ideas, but i was like yeah that sounds time consuming and no one will like it. But i like it this may have a future yet.
Middlemoor

Post by Middlemoor »

Vixen 357, based on the Warsong engine: Image
Warsong...