Favorite freeware game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

litawn

Favorite freeware game

Post by litawn »

Well there's a lot of freeware games out there and I just want to know what everyone's favorites are. My personal favorites are BfW, Cave Story, and Nethack. Other honorable mentions include Warzone 2100, Savage:The Battle for Newerth, and N. If you haven't heard of any of these games (please don't say you don't know BfW) then try them out, you might get hooked. If you know a great freeware game, please post it so I can check them out.
Tomsik

Re: Favorite freeware game

Post by Tomsik »

There's something better than nethack, its name is ADOM. :wink:
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

ADOM forever! Nethack obviously has some advantages over ADOM, but I agree with Tomsik on this one.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

This is a tough one since i presume we're talking about fully-free and/or open-source games, therefore pretty much all of the games that i play won't be 100% compliant. There is one open-source game that i want to touch on, and that is Glest. The game has its problems and lack of features in comparison to other RTS, but it is definitely one of the best for a full freeware game.

Some of the other games i play that are not fully free: Combat Arms, TrackMania Nations Forever, Fate Undiscovered Realms.

Sadly, i can't pick out which freeware game that i favorite. Since there is so many better paid games than there are free ones, it would almost be an understatement to say that you've choose one as the best of your collection.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Xmoto, I've wasted so many hours on that stupid game. -.-
Ardent

Post by Ardent »

Since I always loved the old UFO series - Ufo: Alien Invasion
It isn't finished and is a bit buggy, but aside from BfW I consider it my second choice.
I'll sure like to try Alien Arena, if I get my hand's on a decently linux supported graphics card which can handle it.
You are an Orcish Grunt: cheap, powerful, but effective.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

The Teeworlds Hompage wrote:Teeworlds is a free online multiplayer game, available for all major operating systems. Battle with up to 16 players in a variety of game modes, including Team Deathmatch and Capture The Flag. You can even design your own maps!
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

litawn wrote:Well there's a lot of freeware games out there and I just want to know what everyone's favorites are. My personal favorites are BfW, ...
BfW may fall into the freeware category if you go for hasty generalization (fallacy). Otherwise it's not exactly freeware.

Freeware.
Free software.

Wesnoth is Free Software. Not "freeware", to be precise. So yeah, it makes a difference. Most of what is distributed as "freeware" is NOT Free as in Freedom to redistribute (gratis or not) and modify.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The Teeworlds Hompage wrote:Teeworlds is a free online multiplayer game, available for all major operating systems. Battle with up to 16 players in a variety of game modes, including Team Deathmatch and Capture The Flag. You can even design your own maps!
I have to thank you for this, this game is proving to be a great deal of fun. Run around, get weapons, kill the enemy, maybe capture a flag, and it's so fast-paced. :)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
suiraCLAW

Post by suiraCLAW »

Dofus Arena.

So far it's still a free multiplayer game with a focus on tactics (gameplay of FFT/tactics ogre/etc) and no grind...

Pretty big learning curve though.
Max

Post by Max »

Wintermute wrote:ADOM forever! Nethack obviously has some advantages over ADOM, but I agree with Tomsik on this one.
what a blast from the past - i've almost forgotten this game ever existed. and it's still closed source - after all those years. i've seen it in color now for the first time^^

and now i'm looking desperately for a similar game i've played back then. similar style but more focus on the story itself, like one of the text based adventures from Infocom with rpg elements.
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

nquake by a long shot. No fps or game takes so much skill and practice. Really, really great game.
PS: nquake is really just quakeworld, but with so many improvements I just call it nquake.
litawn

Post by litawn »

Sorry Dark Master. Favorite free game that's not flash then.

I'm checking out all the games you're posting here and I have to say, I like what I see.

Keep on posting the great games that deserve more attention here.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Wesnoth by far. I haven't heard of a lot of the others, but I'm guessing some at least wouldn't run on my computer. A big selling point for me is that Wesnoth runs on a Mac. :)
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Bruno's Star Wars games (sorry, windows only), especially BoE (I don't like BoY as much since the trench run is really boring).

Oh, and do try to beat my record in BoE - 374 TIE's, didn't die a single time, destroyed all Executor turrets, finished with Home One having all three turrets intact and two surviving corvettes, too. :mrgreen: