Favorite freeware game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheGreatRings

Re: Favorite freeware game

Post by TheGreatRings »

zookeeper wrote:Bruno's Star Wars games (sorry, windows only), especially BoE (I don't like BoY as much since the trench run is really boring).

Oh, and do try to beat my record in BoE - 374 TIE's, didn't die a single time, destroyed all Executor turrets, finished with Home One having all three turrets intact and two surviving corvettes, too. :mrgreen:
Free Star Wars games? God I wish I had Windows. :(
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
panzervb

Post by panzervb »

P.U.R.E. (Spring), Spring:1944 (Spring)
Wolfegames.com Spring1944.com
Author of 1940:European Theatre era.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Hmm.. TA:Spring, but sadly, my video card fried itself recently and I can't play it. Other than that, I also like Alien Arena and True Combat: Elite
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
panzervb

Post by panzervb »

IT's not called called TA: Spring anymore.
Author of 1940:European Theatre era.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Yeah. I know. But I forgot what it's called now and didn't bother looking it up.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

T.o.M.E. is a good one. It's the ultimate roguelike. The new version being worked on is so moddable that any other roguelike ever created can be made as a mod for it.

Fixed URL for you. - Turuk
suiraCLAW

Post by suiraCLAW »

Forgot one.

Cave story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_Story

Many argue that it's the perfect game and I can't disagree with them.
It's a pretty light game but you'll need to get a translation pack somewhere (very easy to get).

PS: it's also known as "Doukutsu Monogatari"

edit: damn, just found out somebody mentioned this game before me in this thread. Sorry.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

One the "Free Software to Download" side, my favorite (other than Wesnoth) is:

Marathon.

Are the graphics terrible? Yes. Is anything else wrong with it? No.
ADmiral-N

Post by ADmiral-N »

What a nice thread! :)

And an opportunity to raise some attention for Iji, which is freeware.
A short discussion snippet from the GameFAQs forums:
Some may think it's blasphemy, but I think this game is better than Cave Story.
Iji is ugly as sin and has very clunky controls. To even compare it to Cave Story's stool is heresy.
Either way, it is definiately worth a try. :)
Subspace! Subspace is freeware and is the longest-running massively multiplayer internet space combat game in the world.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

I think nexuiz deserves a spot in this thread as well. Even though i haven't played it yet, from what i've seen it is the best looking FPS shooter in the freeware category. Problem is, you will get bored of it quickly since there are dozens of these free quake clones out there since probably the launch of quake 3.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

cool evil wrote:I think nexuiz deserves a spot in this thread as well. Even though i haven't played it yet, from what i've seen it is the best looking FPS shooter in the freeware category. Problem is, you will get bored of it quickly since there are dozens of these free quake clones out there since probably the launch of quake 3.
I don't see how that would make you get bored with it. Like I mentioned earlier, I think that quakeworld is 10xbetter then any Q3 based game. Still, no matter what the game, deathmatch FPS has to be my favorite genera OF FPS.
Kryz

Post by Kryz »

Sauerbraten pwns all!!!

It is another quake-like game, with better graphics than nexuiz. The game is ready to run on 32 bit linux and can be compiled for 64 bit. Found at http://www.sauerbraten.org

Fixed broken URL tag. - Turuk
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Kryz wrote:It is another quake-like game, with better graphics than nexuiz.
o rly?
I must say I have tried both, and they're both basically the same. Sauerbraten has nicer maps, Nexuiz nicer enemies/character models. I mean really, some of the Sauerbraten enemies just look terrible.

And Marathon wrecks all of them when it comes to plot/storyline. Namely in that it has one (and a quite good one at that).
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Sauerbraten has bad graphics but a nice sort of industrial aesthetic. Nexuiz has very pretty graphics, especially laser effects and explosions.

My favorite game? Probably was Urban Terror until I stopped playing about a month ago. The community's about one step above 4chan in sordidness, and the gameplay was exceptionally hard to learn. Once I got good at it, though, it completely rocked. Nothing like an FPS with Mario moves in 3D :mrgreen:
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
suiraCLAW

Post by suiraCLAW »

ADmiral-N wrote:What a nice thread! :)

And an opportunity to raise some attention for Iji, which is freeware.
A short discussion snippet from the GameFAQs forums:
Some may think it's blasphemy, but I think this game is better than Cave Story.
Iji is ugly as sin and has very clunky controls. To even compare it to Cave Story's stool is heresy.
Either way, it is definiately worth a try. :)
I actually played that game before I found cave story.

It's actually a very great game, very good setting and tension. It's actually one of the few games I truly completed (to be honest, I can't think of any other game which didn't get me bored until the last boss) and nice RPG system.

Comparing Iji and cave story isn't as easy. They're pretty much equal - both awesome - but I would give the favor to cave story (for the moment) as that one has more original and different weapons. While Iji has more kinds of weapons, there's little variation between them and you switch weapons when you run out of ammo, not because the situation changes.

Also gove teeworlds a try (was mentioned here before; http://www.teeworlds.com/), great game as well. The movement system is extremely well done and there's quite variation between the weapons. Good game for casual use.