Onslaught (My boardgame)

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dveman115

Onslaught (My boardgame)

Post by Dveman115 »

Well, me being stupid me, I did the map in some crappy hex program, without even thinking that i could just use wesnoth. All in all, I need to redo the map in the wesnoth to make it look pretty, so for now just read the rules and comment on that. And here they are

EDIT: I remade the map.
[img=http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8679 ... xl1.th.jpg]

Code: Select all

Onslaught
A game by Devman

Setup: 
2 different colored sets of 5 game markers. Coins or chips will do. 
2 Players. 
An Onslaught game map. 

Decide which player will play the bandits, and which player will play the villagers. 
Decide which set of chips will represent the bandits, and which will represent the villagers. 

Place a villager chip on each clear star on the map (the two red hexes). 
Place a bandit chip on each filled star on the map (the three forest hexes).

Basic Gameplay:
The village player starts out with 8 points, the bandit player starts out with 0 points. 
The objective for the village player is to have at least 5 points at the end of turn 10. 
The objective for the  bandit player is to have at least 5 points at the end of turn 10. 
Each farmland hex (brown) on the map is worth 1 point. At the start of the game, the village player owns all the brown hexes. 

The bandit player always moves first. On each turn, the player may move all of his or her pieces one hex in any direction. A piece cannot move into a hex occupied by any other piece. Once all movement has finished, play passes to the village player. Once the village player is done moving all his or her pieces, the turn is over, and a new turn begins. 

Combat:
 If a player moves two of his pieces into a hex occupied by an enemy piece, the enemy piece is removed from play, and one of the attacking player’s pieces moves into the hex. In order for combat to take place, both attacking pieces must be adjacent to the opposing hex. 
Players can only start combat on their turn, and all pieces used in the attack cannot be used again in that turn.

Reinforcements: 
At the beginning of turn 4, both player receive one piece as reinforcement. 
At the beginning of turns 6 and 7, the village player receives one piece as reinforcement. 
 The village player must place his piece on the hex with the clear circle, and the bandit player places his piece on the filled in circle. This action takes place before either player has moved, and both pieces may be used on the same turn they come into play. 
In the event that the reinforcement space is occupied, the piece occupying the hex gets removed from play, regardless of side. 

Terrain: 
Refer to the chart below for information on how each terrain modifies combat. 

Forest (Light and Dark Green): Each pieces worth is doubled – A piece on the green attacking a piece not on green would win without aid. However, if a piece on a green hex attacked another piece on a green hex, combat would not be started, as both pieces are worth the same. 

Square Symbols: Each piece’s worth is doubled. 

Town (Red, without a square): Each piece is worth nothing. 

Marsh (Lime Green): A piece’s worth is halved – it would take 2 pieces on lime green to equal one piece on tan. 

Mountain: It takes three attacking pieces to remove a piece on a mountain hex. The attack is not modified. 

Water (Blue): A piece’s worth is halved. 

Farmland (Brown): A piece is worth nothing on farmland – if one piece on tan attacked one piece one brown, the tan piece would win, and the brown piece would be removed. 

Winning the game:
When a piece of any side moves onto a brown hex, that hex is considered “owned”, and one point is added to the occupying players point total and one point is subtracted from the other player. The hex is still owned even if the piece moves off the hex.
At the end of turn 10, whoever has more points is declared the winner. If both players have a equal amount of points, then play continues until the end of a round comes when one player has more points than the other. 
Just as some info, the two village starting spaces are surrounded by farmland, so that explains the villagers starting points. I know some of it is probably hard to understand, so please say so and I'll fix it. Because I don't have the final map done (well I do, but I need to re-do it), I haven't play tested it yet, but as soon as I can get it out I will. of course, some things in the rules will change, such as all the colors won't be needed, and the castle symbols will be castle spaces. But I think you can understand it all without that, can't you? :)
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Re: Onslaught (My boardgame)

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi,

First i would like to say that i think it's really interesting trying not to do the same game than Battle for Wesnoth, but rather a game inspired of it but with a different gameplay. I find that a good point.

Then, you seem to ask for advices about what we understand or not in the rules, here i go:
Place a villager chip on each clear star on the map (the two red hexes).
Place a bandit chip on each filled star on the map (the three forest hexes).
I can't find your 2 red hexes nor the three forest hexes, but maybe you didn't gave a link to the appropriate map so...
The village player starts out with 8 points, the bandit player starts out with 0 points.
The objective for the village player is to have at least 5 points at the end of turn 10.
The objective for the bandit player is to have at least 5 points at the end of turn 10.
Each farmland hex (brown) on the map is worth 1 point. At the start of the game, the village player owns all the brown hexes.
but:
Just as some info, the two village starting spaces are surrounded by farmland, so that explains the villagers starting points.
So the "bandit" will have farmlands right near his/her starting location? I didn't get that, think once more you probably should give an example of a definitive map.

About basic gameplay now :
Winning the game:
When a piece of any side moves onto a brown hex, that hex is considered “owned”, and one point is added to the occupying players point total and one point is subtracted from the other player. The hex is still owned even if the piece moves off the hex.
There's a problem there i think, or i haven't understood well, how will you know who owns which hex? You need tokens there maybe (or i haven't understood can you be more specific on this point?).
The objective for the bandit player is to have at least 5 points at the end of turn 10.
but:
At the end of turn 10, whoever has more points is declared the winner. If both players have a equal amount of points, then play continues until the end of a round comes when one player has more points than the other.
That's two different winning conditions... unless there is exactly ten villages and a village can't be owned by no one... in this case, is the "at least 5 pts" required?

About combat, i can't tell by just reading it, seems interesting to find good positions (like mountains...) maybe the farmland is overpowered, because it's an objective to own farmland it maybe shouldn't be this strong? i don't know, think you will find the appropriate "value" of each kind of tile by testing.

Overall i find it a good idea, as i said you'll find about terrains by testing, like with reinforcements (cause in the end village player has two more pieces than bandit, that's a lot no?

I will try to read more when you'll have more, like a map?! :)

Good and interesting idea, bye!
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Dveman115

Re: Onslaught (My boardgame)

Post by Dveman115 »

Yeah, about the map: The rules were written when I was still using the map where hexes where solid colors. I'll update them today to make more sense. After I do that, I'll address each of your points individually.

BFW was really an inspiration as much as diplomacy was, and the combat system is actually pretty much the same. I've sort of decided that BFW is just to complex to be a smooth boardgame. It's possible, but it would be something hardcore like along the lines of Axis and Allies.