BfW TCG

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PacoTheInvinvible

BfW TCG

Post by PacoTheInvinvible »

I thought that a Battle for Wesnoth Trading Card Game could be made.

You would have a series of armor cards, a series of players and elite players, and some additional weapon cards.
E.G. The Orcs would have an Orcish Grunt as a player and Orcish Warriors and Orcish Warlords as elite players.
Like in the game, you would start as an Orcish Warlord.
Armor and weapons would be bonuses to your defense or additions to your attack.
Any thoughts?

PacoTheInvincible
Orcish Forever

Oh yeah, I goofed and spelled my username wrong. do I need a new username, or can someone change it? Thanks!
PacoTheInvinvible
Orcish Forever
Peter the Great

Re: BfW TCG

Post by Peter the Great »

It might be possible but getting someone to actually print the cards would be hard.
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Given the hex based system, and the fact that you could use dice for the random hit factor, I feel that the concept could easily translate over, even using the different types of terrain to determine movement.

But then again, my thought above is more translating it into a board game style format, and not quite what you're going for.

Either way, you'd have to work hard to sell it to a company, or assume the costs yourself in trying to get the materials made, as well as market and sell it.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
PacoTheInvinvible

I like the idea of making it a board-game idea... but like you said, hard to produce...

PacoTheInvinvible
Orcish Forever
PacoTheInvinvible
Orcish Forever
Peter the Great

And it almost happened.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Yup, definitely been talked about and "attempted" before, and I will be truly impressed the day that someone follows it all the way through.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
PacoTheInvinvible

Well, Chessex Manufacturing does dice in bulk.
A game company to print and package would be really hard, wouldn't it?

And, (did I miss it?) Was this tried in recent times?

PacoTheInvinvible
Orcish Forever
PacoTheInvinvible
Orcish Forever
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The link that Peter the Great put in his post takes you to another thread, a bit over a year old, that has people trying to make a board game out of Wesnoth, and it didn't get very far.
PacoTheInvinvible

Wow. I only had time for reading 1 page, so I guess they got around the part where a co. needed to help them, and they went down, right?

But, persistence does it eventually. How did the Orcs get into Wesnoth? :lol2:

PacoTheInvinvible
Orcish Forever
PacoTheInvinvible
Orcish Forever
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

You know, online computer TCG's with electronic cards instead of physical one are popular in some places right now. That would fit perfectly for Wesnoth.

But getting servers and people to put the thing together would be another matter.

But I've always thought that a free online TCG, where you buy new packs with points earned through playing rather than money, could be a good thing.
Last edited by catwhowalksbyhimself on October 26th, 2008, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PacoTheInvinvible

I think that it would work better than actually having physical cards that can be lost.
You wrote "fee". You meant free, right?
New packs... like, new characters? Like having a card for Orcish Warlord would only be good if you had the cards for Orcish Grunt and Orcish Warrior?

Good idea... well thought. :eng:

PacoTheInvinvible
Orcish Forever
PacoTheInvinvible
Orcish Forever
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

When you said TCG, did you really understand what that means? That last post seems to indicate that you used the term without understanding it.

TCG, or CCG, means Trading Card Game or Collectible card game (same thing, two different terms). A card game is a game played with a fixed set of cards. A TCG or CCG is a card game in which there are a large variety of cards and the players have to put together a set of card from there collection to play with. The cards are collected in packs of 15 usually with random cards of various types. Players generally trade cards with each other as well.

If you were intending just a regular card game you should not have called it a TCG.
PacoTheInvinvible

Well, you could have a set of cards stored in your computer's memory, or a certain area on a official network.
Although I never knew that CCG was the same though. :)

You're right, I was getting off the topic a little bit since my later posts. Thanks. :augh: :roll:

Should we start with the six factions included? Or use more popular faction add-ons?
PacoTheInvinvible
Orcish Forever
Peter the Great

I think that if it does ever get printed/programed we should use default factions.
clockworkcorvid

Post by clockworkcorvid »

Why not just let people print it out themselves? You'd have to make it simple, like the print-and-play boardgame Zombie In My Pocket (look it up, it's fun).
I say default factions, but people can always make their own custom cards.
Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash, and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!