FreeGameDev: open source game dev / chat / info

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

charlieg

FreeGameDev: open source game dev / chat / info

Post by charlieg »

We have a forum dedicated to Free Software and open source games:
http://forum.freegamedev.net/

As well as this wiki for collecting Free Software game development material:
http://wiki.freegamedev.net/

Here's a couple of the best pages from there: Also a planet for collecting info from around the Free game community:
http://planet.freegamedev.net/

And last and possibly least my own semi-famous blog dedicated to Free Software games:
http://freegamer.blogspot.com/
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
DDR

Re: FreeGameDev: open source game dev / chat / info

Post by DDR »

The forum is hard to look at... ow. :|
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

DDR wrote:The forum is hard to look at... ow. :|
:augh: Yes.

Grab a few books on design, or something - you really need to eliminate "chartjunk" - which is unnecessary noise in the chart/table (lines, background fills, etc), which detract from the readability of the core info. There are also some issues with tight text spacing there (line height, I think), that make the text hard to read.

Cool forum, though, and thanks for promoting the scene! I only mention the above, hoping to help.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Does the forum look like the attached to you?
FreeGameDev forum skin
FreeGameDev forum skin
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Yes, and that is what Jet is on about. :eng:
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Ok, well, any suggestions for improvement are welcome on the forum although I'm not directly responsible for the theme.

However, what I don't get about what was said above, is that it has the same number of 'lines' and 'background fills' as, well, the wesnoth forum?
VS
Translator

Post by VS »

It's hard to define. Maybe the blue background and nearby blue text don't provide enough contrast. Or the text does not have enough space around. I can't really tell... :?
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

LOTS OF OPTIONS! options everywhere! links links links! all together!
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

theotherhiveking wrote:LOTS OF OPTIONS! options everywhere! links links links! all together!
Links are fine mate, it's just with all the images as well... :geek:
qubodup

Post by qubodup »

Aha! So here's the criticism I've been loking for! :lol2: don't worry, we're working on it!

Charles, why didn't you tell me!? Don't you know that where others have a heart, I have a stone?
:eng: dang, some of these smiles rock hard!
DDR

Post by DDR »

Some differences I notice. Good or bad?
Your forums are quite high contrast. Wesnoth forums are in beige tones, with big blocks of colour dividing up stuff.
I am not sure you need the [message #5345 is a reply to message #5036 ], it seems obvious. :) (Though, I am no expert here.) Also, perhaps, move the avatar to the right side, so I can see who is speaking when I start to read? Heh, perhaps I am too use to reading the Wesnoth forums.

In the home view of FGDF, there are pictures to left side of all the subjects. (?) Those are vague, and not needed. At the top, wesnoth has 16 links, 7 of which are for general navigation. The remaining 9 work the forum. FGDF has 20, 7 of which navigate the forum. They are bigger than the Wesnoth equivalents, also. The link counts seem about the same, given the purposes of the your site. :) Perhaps, the links that operate the forum could be spread out a bit more? :? I do not know if that would work. Oh, those little Image buttons are worthless noise. The Image buttons do not seem much use, but as every forum has them, they must be used by some. By the way, I just noticed... you have 5 links to the forum on the page.

The graphics are loud. Perhaps... get different, smoother smilies? Change the colours on everything. The logo at the top is a very compelling focal point, which needs to be way lessened. It blends in to the page, so the user cannot ignore it. (I think the Wesnoth logo is not so loud, somehow, but that may just be me acclimated to it.) Use more subtle shading in the forum. Sacrifice a little bit of contrast, in most cases, but keep it readable.

In general, consult a colour chart for attractive colour schemes, make your background less intense, and downsize the graphics and links.

I do not mean any this in a bad way; I like the forums, they are not form before functionality! :D It works, whereas so much other stuff does not. Keep it up!