An unique idea for a stronghold alike game.

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Unnheulu

Re: An unique idea for a stronghold alike game.

Post by Unnheulu »

Or you could write your own for more flexability like I do, unless you mean things like SDL, and OpenGL etc. of course, anyway, good luck!
Juxtys

Post by Juxtys »

I can't write on my own, because of lack of skill. For me, it is imposible to create a game without even knowing the needed algorithms. For example, I could make a text-based demo for my game with FPS, but I don't if Pascal is able to give random number from one number to another. And even if it can do it, I don't know how to program it that way.
If you are afraid of wolf - don't go to the woods. - Lithuanian proverb
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

A game engine only needs to be really simple though, and ityou use a pre-made one then you don't have as much flexibility, unless you mean something like python or C++ which you obviouslycan't make. ;)
Juxtys

Post by Juxtys »

I guess i just have to create a website for my project and start searching for a team who can help me.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

This is one of the things where if you won't or can't do it or self, or won't learn how to do it, then it will never get done. Find a book that teaches you how to do this sort of thing, and read it till you know how it works, then work on your project.

It would probably be better if you try a simpiler project first though, the amount of work this would take would be large for one person.

Somewhere on the wiki there is a description of how Dave created Wesnoth, after reading that you also might want-to take a look at the very first screenshots. However he got a game that was fun to play, and other people found it fun to play, then he started getting a team of contributers.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

Juxtys wrote:And how should I start getting to work? I guess first I should find a decent Open Source Graphics Engine and it's supporting code language compiler. But what should I do later?
PythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPython
PythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPython

And then read code, lots of code.

Its hard to figure out how a certain thing can be done until you see the code written, the key is, read a good manual (like the official one) then find some code about what do you want to write (don't if the project has been inactive for 2 years) Then read the code and the comments, and see how all works.

For example, if you want to see how the curses module for python works for making an interface, you can download PyRo.
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

theotherhiveking wrote:
Juxtys wrote:And how should I start getting to work? I guess first I should find a decent Open Source Graphics Engine and it's supporting code language compiler. But what should I do later?

Its hard to figure out how a certain thing can be done until you see the code written, the key is, read a good manual (like the official one) then find some code about what do you want to write (don't if the project has been inactive for 2 years) Then read the code and the comments, and see how all works.

For example, if you want to see how the curses module for python works for making an interface, you can download PyRo.
Any particular reason for that staement?

Python is basically built on top of C++.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Last edited by kshinji on November 9th, 2010, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
theotherhiveking

xer wrote:
theotherhiveking wrote: PythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPythonPython

Any particular reason for that staement?

Python is basically built on top of C++.
Just that python is a good language to start.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Am I the only one who finds the title of this post quite contradictory?

"unique idea" -- "stronghold alike"

Hmm. :|
theotherhiveking

West wrote:Am I the only one who finds the title of this post quite contradictory?

"unique idea" -- "stronghold alike"

Hmm. :|
HAHAH! Nice one! you're my new hero(?)
Juxtys

Post by Juxtys »

By stronghold alike I meant what it uses a similar commerce and industry system, maybe similar way of war, but nothing more. I wonder how much I would earn by selling my idea for Firefly :D
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Probably not alot. It would be an interesting game to make, but not a big time seller :hmm: