New idea for wesnoth

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sir_Furious

New idea for wesnoth

Post by Sir_Furious »

I know that this does not happen often but i have been i places where i wish i had wesnoth but i dont.
is there a way to have a one hundred percent browser based wesnoth with all the addons so one does not have to install over 2 GB to play.

you could have flash or java.

it would take a lot of time but think of it. you are on a trip and you can get on a computer. if you install anything then you have to delete it once you are done. so instead you can just come to the wesnoth website and then atake one link and you can play. it would put save data in a cookie.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

No.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

No, it's not possible. None of the scripting languages out there at the moment are powerful enough, there is no sound or graphic library, and java applet would be agonisingly slow. Furthermore due to the size of "cookies" people on low connection would find the game unplayable and we do not have the server with enough bandwidth to accomodate few thousand people downloading game graphics and sound at a time. And that's it.

And unless anyone has something creative to add this is soft locked
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Sure, it is possible, but it'd probably be more effort than people are willing to put into it.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Furious, that's a wonderful idea. Why don't you go figure out how to do that, and get back to us when you've got a working prototype?
Viliam
Translator

Re: New idea for wesnoth

Post by Viliam »

It would mean rewriting the whole program (you know, the one that people have been writing and testing 4 1/2 years) into another programming language. I guess it would take 1 1/2 years of work, with the team of the same size (because they do not have to make decisions, only copy existing solution, and also use existing data). Now you would either have to find a new team to do this; or all current developers would have to switch to Java and stop all their work on current Wesnoth.

For this to happen, you would have to find some Java-skilled hardcode Wesnoth fans who do not contribute to current Wesnoth, but would like to spend some years converting it to Java.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

I would suggest to install wesnoth on a memory stick, a 1gig one will store 100 songs, the whole wesnoth game(yes, wesnoth can run on a memory stick), as well as all your other documents and things. Cost no more than $30.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Sir_Furious

Post by Sir_Furious »

well i did say it would take a long time.
it was only an idea, and i wanted to have peoples opinoins.
i dont know how to program either but i have wanted to learn.
i have a one gb sony microvault that would make it take a third of a gb. but i alredy have it more than two-thirds of a gb full.
and on my last trip i forgot it. :evil:
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Yeah, this would be insanely hard to program something in Flash identical to Wesnoth. However, it might be more viable to program a similar game, not quite the same. There is a flash Fire Emblem emulator, for example.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
Sir_Furious

Post by Sir_Furious »

ok its on my Gig-drive. i now have 2! which makes about 4 GB worth or space FULL. (and my real comp has only 6 GB (3GB of which is full of Linux & Windows 98) so i now have more space than ever before. my one prob with the Jump-Drive approach: I CANT GET MANY ADD-ONS!!! UGH

and java might be better. and after all, Where there's a Will, there's a Way! now, As Cptn. Picard would say, Fire at Will! (he's just to my right)
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Sir_Furious wrote:my real comp has only 6 GB (3GB of which is full of Linux & Windows 98)
Are you saying you have just a 6GB hard drive? :shock:
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Last edited by kshinji on November 9th, 2010, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I live in a third-world country and somehow all HDDs in stores are of the 80-250 GB range.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

Chile, third world country? C'mon - if anything your country could be labeled as a "second world country" or "developing country". =)

You're only 3 places behind Poland in the GDP per capita ranking and I don't think anybody would label Poland as a third world country except in jokes. ;-)
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

except that first world was defined as "western", second world as "communist" and third world as "other". :P