New idea for wesnoth

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cool evil

Re: New idea for wesnoth

Post by cool evil »

This has been suggested quite a few times, but it's just not practical. But a simple solution would be to have a memory stick, a 512mb or 1gb will do, wesnoth on my comp takes only 200mb with a few add-ons. If you install wesnoth on a portable USB you are able to plug that USB into any computer and play wesnoth right away.

How 'bout we sticky a topic about this so no one in the future will ask about how to make wesnoth portable? I can help by inputting some words if anyone would like.
Last edited by cool evil on March 26th, 2008, 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
tsr

Post by tsr »

AI wrote:except that first world was defined as "western", second world as "communist" and third world as "other". :P
Please don't forget the forth world (and maybe SM actually is part of that): the original inhabitants of a region (inuits, aboriginals, american indians, sami, etc).

/tsr
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

cool evil wrote:This has been suggested quite a few times, but it's just not practical. But a simple solution would be to have a memory stick, a 512mb or 1gb will do, wesnoth on my comp takes only 200mb with a few add-ons. If you install wesnoth on a portable USB you are able to plug that USB into any computer and play wesnoth right away.

How 'bout we sticky a topic about this so no one in the future will ask about how to make wesnoth portable? I can help by inputting some words if anyone would like.
You'd have to compile/configure it to use a directory on the remove drive as 'userdata', that's all that's needed I think. The windows build already does so (though this is arguably not a feature, but a lack of one).
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Last edited by kshinji on November 9th, 2010, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Sir_Furious

Post by Sir_Furious »

West wrote:
Sir_Furious wrote:my real comp has only 6 GB (3GB of which is full of Linux & Windows 98)
Are you saying you have just a 6GB hard drive? :shock:
no a 1 GB MP3 Player and a 1GBSony MicroVault. the thing is that the latter has built in compression tools that give it the equivalent of 3GB

and still it would be nice to have in-browser. look at this and tell me its not really possible
http://www2.rasterwerks.com/game/phosphor/beta1.asp
bert1

Post by bert1 »

AI wrote:except that first world was defined as "western", second world as "communist" and third world as "other". :P
I was very confused when I heard about the third world when I was a kid. I thought that someone had colonised Mars, and hadn't told me about it. I thought the second world must be a moon colony and was even more annoyed that I hadn't heard about that either.
Good is simply that which is willed. - Eugene Halliday
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

tsr wrote:
Please don't forget the forth world (and maybe SM actually is part of that): the original inhabitants of a region (inuits, aboriginals, american indians, sami, etc).

/tsr
False. Chile is part of the Third World according to Microsoft, who say so based on World Bank researches. Our indians (specially mapuche) have integrated pretty well into our society.

I didn't know there was a fourth world though. Every day I learn something new. :eng:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

Kinda sad. The only fourth world I know is fictional: Elbonia.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Shadow Master wrote:
tsr wrote: Please don't forget the forth world (and maybe SM actually is part of that): the original inhabitants of a region (inuits, aboriginals, american indians, sami, etc).

/tsr
False. Chile is part of the Third World according to Microsoft, who say so based on World Bank researches. Our indians (specially mapuche) have integrated pretty well into our society.

I didn't know there was a fourth world though. Every day I learn something new. :eng:
With "western" most people traditionally mean USA, canada, western europe, australia and japan. (and all the other countries I'm missing)

wikipedia agrees with me :P
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

Nope.

I am very sure that Europe is First World, developed nations in the (Americas?) are second world, and the rest are third world.

There may be a few exceptions like Australia, but it is usually like this.

I personally think Chile is a developed nation. And I think all of that is a bunch of BS anyways.
India and China were the cream of the crop centuries back. They declined and now they our surging back. So, this naming system is screwed up right off the bat. But the Euro-centric view of the world in the eyes of westerners who want to show their superiority.

Many historians are starting to recognize this and they are increasingly abandoning this system, often going into the more accurate Afrocentric view (since that is where humans are believed to be from).
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Kerwin

Post by Kerwin »

Gott. (sorry if I made english faults, I'm a froggie)
First and second world were, without taking care of the order, the "west" (America, Europe...) and other capitalist countries allied to USA and the east, the communist, URSS (don't know the english order of the letters)
And the third was really the others, those who didn't want to ally whith one or the other world. It was the most of the time old countries who just get out European colonisation.
But in the facts, they wasn't so neutral.
Some leaders of the Third World had tried to create a real order (Neyruh, Solckarno and Tito I think, and sorry for the orthographe) but it doesn't work, some of the countries prefered to be under american or sovietics protection and however, they weren't enough rich or powerful to be listened by the others...
The name third world name came of a french world : tiers - état. In the old regime, there was three orders in France : the aristocracy, the church, and the rest, mostly peasants, called "tiers état". Then, an historian called the non aligned countries "tiers monde", in référence to "tiers état", and once translated, it is third world.
Nowadays, the name third world is unappropriate, simply because the communist bloc had fallen.

What do you learn at school?
You think you can destroy me, with these, idols?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

scienceguy8 wrote:Kinda sad. The only fourth world I know is fictional: Elbonia.
Me too, but I thought of Jack Kirby's one.
BlackRece

Post by BlackRece »

:hmm: I don't know (nor care much) about 1st, 2nd and 3rd worlds.

However, upon returning to the original topic, I would actually be willing to investigate this as I love the game and loathe micro$haft's inability to play the game on vista! (my own fault for not fixing it but I can't seem to solve it!)

So, since I'm currently unable to play my favorite game, I would like to make a cross-platform version (not that it isn't at the moment).

May I have permission/views on doing such a thing? My AS3 isn't perfect but I've played with the westnoth scripting language alot when I could play the game on a Ubuntu/win xp lappy. I even offered to complete some of the scenarios on the library.

BlackRece
blackcast.co.uk
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

West wrote:
Sir_Furious wrote:my real comp has only 6 GB (3GB of which is full of Linux & Windows 98)
Are you saying you have just a 6GB hard drive? :shock:
Emphasis mine. It's probably 15 years old.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Blackrece would it not serve you better to create a thread in technical support about your current problems (because I *know* wesnoth runs on vista quite well), than to bump a two year old thread that nobody really liked to begin with?