Crossfire (MORPG game) seeking graphical artists

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ryo
Inactive Developer

Crossfire (MORPG game) seeking graphical artists

Post by Ryo »

Hello.

Crossfire, official page at http://crossfire.real-time.com, is seeking graphical artists.

This is a MMORPG (ok, the "massively" part isn't right) game, with a relatively small but faithful userbase. The developer team is also small, but working in the long-term - the game itself is ~10 years old, written in C with the possibility of scripting through Python.

You can find screenshots at http://sourceforge.net/project/screensh ... p_id=13833.

Ideally, we'd want someone to coordinate graphism (ok, we don't have many artists, which is why I'm posting here in the first place ;)) for the game. Or, if you don't feel like coordinating, just contribute pics :)

Potential contributors are invited to hop on the #crossfire IRC channel on Freenode, or send a mail to the mailing list, crossfire@metalforge.org - depending on the time of the day, there is more or less activity there, the safest way is the mailing list :).

Graphism contributions would probably be accepted quite fast, since we're lacking in this department.

More info can be found on the official page, the Wiki http://wiki.metalforge.net or the forums http://forum.metalforge.net.

Some more info on graphisms:

The game is tile-based. A tile has a base size of 32x32 pixels, objects (monsters and such) can be more, as long as it's a multiple of 32 in each dimension. Pics are PNG, and should be under the GPL.

We have some top-down perspective, with looking south = facing, looking north = we see the back of the head. Each moving thing can have up to 8 facing directions, and any item can be animated.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sounds interesting.

Just BTW, the official homepage displays incorrectly in my browser - it looks really screwed up. I can take a screenshot if you want to know what I mean.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

try to use other browser
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

theotherhiveking wrote:try to use other browser
I'm not complaining that I can't see the page (I can), I'm complaining that in firefox it has some weird display bugs - linewrapping at the wrong places, etc. Maybe it's displaying correctly and it's just a badly designed page.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
theotherhiveking

turin wrote:
theotherhiveking wrote:try to use other browser
I'm not complaining that I can't see the page (I can), I'm complaining that in firefox it has some weird display bugs - linewrapping at the wrong places, etc. Maybe it's displaying correctly and it's just a badly designed page.
try other browser, like konqueror, i have experienced similar bugs, using other browser ussually helps.
Gus

Post by Gus »

You realize that Firefox is among the most popular browsers in use, right?

And that, in the community you're trying to appeal to (ie, let's face it, geeks for the most part), Firefox or one of its derivatives is probably far ahead of any other browser in terms of use?

So, if your webpage doesn't display correctly in Firefox, my advice is that you try to fix it, not that you advise someone to change their browser...

Anyway, just a general bit of advice, since it seems to display correctly for me.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Leaf

Post by Leaf »

turin wrote: Just BTW, the official homepage displays incorrectly in my browser - it looks really screwed up. I can take a screenshot if you want to know what I mean.
If it's not too much trouble, please post (or PM me) a screenshot. Thank you.

Edit: I'm the webmaster for the Crossfire website; I would like to work with you to resolve the display issue you have encountered. :)
theotherhiveking

Gus wrote:You realize that Firefox is among the most popular browsers in use, right?

And that, in the community you're trying to appeal to (ie, let's face it, geeks for the most part), Firefox or one of its derivatives is probably far ahead of any other browser in terms of use?

So, if your webpage doesn't display correctly in Firefox, my advice is that you try to fix it, not that you advise someone to change their browser...

Anyway, just a general bit of advice, since it seems to display correctly for me.
can u rewrite it with more simple English? im having trouble to understand it
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

theotherhiveking wrote:can u rewrite it with more simple English? im having trouble to understand it
We love Firefox.
So your webpage should work with Firefox.
;-)

But for other people, the webpage in Firefox looks OK. Also for me.
theotherhiveking

im using firefox too, i said that you should try with other beacuse its a way to know if the problem is in your system or its a problem of browser (bad installation, corrupted files....)
try to reinstall, too
Leaf

Post by Leaf »

turin wrote:
Just BTW, the official homepage displays incorrectly in my browser - it looks really screwed up.
FWIW - a private message between turin and I tracked down the likely cause.. monitor resolution ("low") and browser default font size ("big") was causing certain portions of the navigation buttons to overlap with each other.