Wesnoth as a strategic board game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

smallfoot assumed.
Flying:

Code: Select all

All terrains: 1,50%
Swimming:

Water: 1,60%
Others: +1,-10%
Mounted: Not so important IMO. About 2 units use it anyway and it has weird resistances. The units that use it should rather be redesigned.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
bery

Post by bery »

Elvish Pillager wrote: Flying:

All terrains: 1,50%
There should be different atribute for drakes, or other huge flying units, for example 40% or 30%
Elvish_Pillager

easy. Just write on their card: All terrains: 1,30%
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

But what are those 1,X% things supposed to be? Surely you can't expect players to start calculating % values in something like movement...
Elvish_Pillager

zookeeper wrote:But what are those 1,X% things supposed to be? Surely you can't expect players to start calculating % values in something like movement...
1,30% means: 1 move to cross, 30% defense. Haven't you played Wesnoth? :P
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Elvish Pillager wrote:1,30% means: 1 move to cross, 30% defense. Haven't you played Wesnoth? :P
Uh...well, now that certainly makes more sense.
appleide

Post by appleide »

...Let's just copy some other board game (eg, warhammer) rules, and make wesnoth models....

Here are all the ideas perhaps mentioned in this thread I think are good:

Each unit needs 4 XP counters for every level they are to level up.
Only two damage types: "Ranged" "Melee" and "Magic"

they all have "defense", eg for theif, to be hit only on sixes when on most terrain, 5s and 6s on grass, 4+ on water.

The average level 1 unit have 4 hp.
They each have different stats, i.e, Elvish archer has damage 1 and rolls 2 dice to attack, and against Dwarf on mountain, hits on fives and sixes. And in return the thunderstick does 1 dice attack which causes 2 damage, and hits on three and above because the archer is on sand.

a horseman will have +1 to be hit when being attacked by ranged damage.
Eg, instead of the elvish archer hitting on 4+ (horseman on grass), the elvish archer does 3+ to damage the horseman instead (ranged damage type).

Those stats are memorised. (just like in warhammer and 40k and many other board games, eg D&D)

Certain *special* units have "special rules". eg, magical damage units hits always on 3+, first strike always strike first, slow reduces opponent attacks by 1, stead fast is -1 to be hit, marksmans hits on 4+ or better always, cure heals 1 HP every turn to all adjacent units while heal only does 1 hp to 1 unit. Leadership means +1 to hit for all nearby units, and etc, etc, etc.

This provides faster game play, while keeping the depth of Wesnoth. Also has the added bonus of being able to use figurines. btw, you might even do away with hexes and use centimeters and inches instead.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Check out http://www.juniorgenerals.org for ideas on making the pieces very cheaply and simply. Experiment to your heart's content.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Check out http://www.juniorgenerals.org for ideas on making the pieces very cheaply and simply. Experiment to your heart's content.
http://www.juniorgeneral.org/
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Elvish_Pillager

appleide wrote:This provides faster game play, while keeping the depth of Wesnoth.
As I see it, it would be slower (for Wesnoth players at least) and lose much of the depth of Wesnoth.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
appleide wrote:This provides faster game play, while keeping the depth of Wesnoth.
As I see it, it would be slower (for Wesnoth players at least) and lose much of the depth of Wesnoth.
I meant compared to the other systems of board games proposed.... :? It'll play faster than that "each unit has a card with every single hp value", that you need to pick up the card and move those notches everytime you fight because of xp gained. The dice is already cumbersome enough, no need to double that up with notch moving.
Elvish_Pillager

appleide wrote:I meant compared to the other systems of board games proposed.... :? It'll play faster than that "each unit has a card with every single hp value", that you need to pick up the card and move those notches everytime you fight because of xp gained.
Oh yeah? Well, you said all units have 4 HP - how do you plan to record that, then? Memory?
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Markers?. Systems with the same "wound endurance" for all units (that commonly also have an "armour/resistance" stat to differentiate more resilient units), normally make the use of markers to see if he is wounded, grave, critical, etc.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
appleide

Post by appleide »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
appleide wrote:I meant compared to the other systems of board games proposed.... :? It'll play faster than that "each unit has a card with every single hp value", that you need to pick up the card and move those notches everytime you fight because of xp gained.
Oh yeah? Well, you said all units have 4 HP - how do you plan to record that, then? Memory?
Dice.
Elvish_Pillager

Dice have many disadvantages -

- where do you put them?
- what do you do about it when someone jostles the table/board/whatever and they roll?
- how do you find the next lower number so quickly that it's significantly faster than spinning a dial in a consistent pattern?