Elvish Pillager's New Game!

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Elvish Pillager's New Game!

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I felt like coding a game today, so I whipped up a totally black-and-white, abstract-but-cool game for all your amusement(s). :D The game is also GPL'd, obviously.

Dang, this has got to be the first black and white game in years. I miss them. :cry:

The gameplay is a little slow but rather entertaining. The beast against which you fight is tricky and doesn't give you opportunities too often; sometimes, it even uses surpirisingly good tactics, considering the ridiculousness of its mind(s).

By the way, make sure you read the Read Me before you play - otherwise, you will stand no chance.

I bet you thought this was an April Fools' joke, eh? Ha ha, tricked you, 'cause it isn't! Below, I have provided a screenshot, the source code, and a binary for Mac OS X. Don't worry, admins, they're less than 150 KB total. ;)

Attachments
NALILL-src.zip
(30.64 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
NALILL-osx.zip
(103.26 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Getting it to work on Linux, this worked for me...

Code: Select all

$ gcc -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/SDL/ -lSDL -lGL -lGLU -o NALILL *.cpp
(...after fixing a non--standard C++ usage and changing the #includes to use <GL/...> instead of <OpenGL/...>, and getting rid of some useless files generated by OSX. I've uploaded the result of that.)
... except that the bullets on the main screen were practically invisible (glPointSize() isn't working? the program should use glGetError()/gluErrorString() and log what any OpenGL errors are...), but I won anyway.
Attachments
NALILL.tar.gz
(23.93 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Not a bad little game. Interesting premise and a different kind of gameplay than most arcade games. Good Job.
sparr

Post by sparr »

neat. took about 10 minutes to beat it. the only bad part is how slow progress is when youre 'chasing' the beast
Elvish_Pillager

thanks! :)

Indeed, chasing the beast is a little slow. Dodging bullets and/or trying to propel yourself off them is a good way to pass the time.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Disto

Re: Elvish Pillager's New Game!

Post by Disto »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I felt like coding a game today, so I whipped up a totally black-and-white, abstract-but-cool game for all your amusement(s). :D The game is also GPL'd, obviously.

Dang, this has got to be the first black and white game in years. I miss them. :cry:

The gameplay is a little slow but rather entertaining. The beast against which you fight is tricky and doesn't give you opportunities too often; sometimes, it even uses surpirisingly good tactics, considering the ridiculousness of its mind(s).

By the way, make sure you read the Read Me before you play - otherwise, you will stand no chance.

I bet you thought this was an April Fools' joke, eh? Ha ha, tricked you, 'cause it isn't! Below, I have provided a screenshot, the source code, and a binary for Mac OS X. Don't worry, admins, they're less than 150 KB total. ;)

Nothing for Windows :(.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Elvish_Pillager

You could try to compile it yourself...
jonathantan86

Post by jonathantan86 »

Interesting game. :-) I just repeatedly press space in the hopes of destroying an elbow and tried to move my diamond towards those elbows...did not succeed though. Too many bullets. :-P
appleide

Post by appleide »

sparr wrote:neat. took about 10 minutes to beat it. the only bad part is how slow progress is when youre 'chasing' the beast
You should play it a second time, then it will only take 2 minutes.

Thanks for the fun, EP!
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.