Animation in the Docs

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
hunterkillr

Post by hunterkillr »

Tippsey wrote:I think this will slow down games even more. It already has a slight delay and lag when checking through the library during a game, and checking units can happen often enough when you want to make sure of an opponents res. With animations it will lag even more slowing down games as the user has to wait for it to load then read before they can get back to their turn.
Cheap gif animations didnt hurt the internet, and unless the server is hosting a game with different units than the client, this wont affect network games since the animations are already within wesnoth.

Also, there is no need to make gif or any other unit animation files, since the unit animation are the unit themselves as you see them in action/combat.

for less than 7th generation pcs, my previous comment might be a solution:
You are all somewhat right. Perhaps, this looks better if it was hidden with a link, and when the user clicks the link, which says something obvious, like 'preview', the link will expand to include a unit animation box.

Cannot we live in peace?
- GLA Worker
- C&C: Generals
P.S: Sorry, if I don't reply much. No personal net access.
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

The delay isn't the connection being poor it's the comp having to load the evergrowing library and bring up all those files. An animation going off is something extra the game will have to load and run, causing further intial slow down into the library. Sure it's in the game, so are the current unit images for the library! it still has to load them all up and display. It already takes me up to five seconds or more lag just for me to go unit description and then wait for it load those static images. So if this gets implemented then a new option needs added to preferneces to turn it off, so those who want can get back to the game faster, not watch the pretty animations.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Tippsey wrote:The delay isn't the connection being poor it's the comp having to load the evergrowing library and bring up all those files. An animation going off is something extra the game will have to load and run, causing further intial slow down into the library. Sure it's in the game, so are the current unit images for the library! it still has to load them all up and display. It already takes me up to five seconds or more lag just for me to go unit description and then wait for it load those static images. So if this gets implemented then a new option needs added to preferneces to turn it off, so those who want can get back to the game faster, not watch the pretty animations.
No. This is not something worthy of having a preference option. Either it can be done without an unreasonable delay, or it won't be done. I don't think that if it is done correctly that it will be significantly more slow then the current help. I would be quite suprised if the slowness problem with the current help is caused by graphics and not just the implementation of how the data is auto-generated from .cfg files.

The main problem with implementing animations in the help is that the current text markup language is quite primative. Anyone who wanted to work work on the code to either speed up the auto-generation of help text or improving the markup language would be welcome.
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

hunterkillr wrote:You are all somewhat right. Perhaps, this looks better if it was hidden with a link, and when the user clicks the link, which says something obvious, like 'preview', the link will expand to include a unit animation box.
Or just have the images animate when you hover over them. Then to skip the animation all the user has to do is _not_ hover over the images. I wouldn't have any objection to that.

I also don't think it's important, though.

update:
Zhukov wrote::| Did you have to ressurect this thread??

It was safely dead and minding it's own business...
Oh, sorry about that.
Last edited by jonadab on March 21st, 2006, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

:| Did you have to ressurect this thread??

It was safely dead and minding it's own business...