Advancing during enemies turns.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

repair?

yes
25%
no
46%
gimme a candy
29%

Total votes: 28

kshinji

Advancing during enemies turns.

Post by kshinji »

When your unit advances during enemies turns, you have no conbtrol of what would he advance to. I think that is stupid, and could be easily repaired, but...

1. That would make net games slower, as many people do other activities during enemies turns.

2. People many times advance they troops the same way. So repairing this would make armies more standarized.

Still, i am after reapiring it.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

this should go to the FPI soon... see previous discussion
scott

Post by scott »

For all the work you do with the FPI list, I don't think you really grasp what it's for. It exists to exclude settled issues from further discussion. This is far from settled.

About the issue, if there is a better way to do it then it should be done. I guess that means I'm for repairing it. I'm really just fine with ensuring the default advancement is RIPLIB-compliant and leaving it there. On the other hand, since this is somewhat rare, I think it would be better to activate the turn bell and just ask the player.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think it's good as it is, if you're doing something(for example reading forum, reading book, etc.) while enemies turns it doesn't ask you to stop doing that, it also makes sometimes game more funny, for exmaple if you are drake(and don't use saurians(yeah, that's not bad strategy, but it's only example)) enemy have 1-xp-to-level spearman you can attack him and have 2/3 chance he don't will get pikeman.

I don't think advancing into default unit is good.
JW

Post by JW »

Tomsik wrote:I think it's good as it is, if you're doing something(for example reading forum, reading book, etc.) while enemies turns it doesn't ask you to stop doing that, it also makes sometimes game more funny, for exmaple if you are drake(and don't use saurians(yeah, that's not bad strategy, but it's only example)) enemy have 1-xp-to-level spearman you can attack him and have 2/3 chance he don't will get pikeman.

I don't think advancing into default unit is good.
I dunno. I like keeping the mechanism simple. I think the default advancement for a spearman would be a pikeman anyway. The only thing he loses on level is his weak ranged attack. Also, remember that Javelineer is 1 of the other 2 advancements for the Spearman. He's got piercing attacks as well.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

JW wrote:I think the default advancement for a spearman would be a pikeman anyway. The only thing he loses on level is his weak ranged attack.
I think RIPLIB would affect it... only javeleener would not break RIPLIB, so javeleener as default
JW wrote:Also, remember that Javelineer is 1 of the other 2 advancements for the Spearman. He's got piercing attacks as well.
Yeah, but remember he have weaker melee attack, he is easier to kill with fighters/clashers because of this.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Your poll needs more options. Namely, 'Yes' needs to be divided into,

"Yes, but I can't implement it"
"Yes, and I can supply a patch which implements this change, and am prepared to support this patch whenever there are problems with it"

Because otherwise, well, I think that we should have perfectly animated 3D units with detailed cut-scenes after every scenario, including voice-overs provided by famous actors. For that matter, we should purchase the rights to make a Lord of the Rings scenario and ship it with the game.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Dave,

A while back it became popular to reply to most idea suggestions with "that won't make it into 1.0". Your reply back then was basically "This is a forum for proposing ideas - you just suggest them, the devs will worry about if and when they get implemented".

What about this issue in particular warrants a shift from that stance to "If you want it, you code it" ?
JW wrote:I think the default advancement for a spearman would be a pikeman anyway. The only thing he loses on level is his weak ranged attack.
There are many situations when you want to retain that ranged attack. If you're facing a relatively weak mixed fighter type (eg. saurian skirmisher), that relatively weak ranged attack prevents them from picking you off with impunity at range - especially if they're already wounded.
JW wrote:Also, remember that Javelineer is 1 of the other 2 advancements for the Spearman. He's got piercing attacks as well
And he caps out at level 2. The spearman is a very good example of a unit whose advancement you want to control.

As I understand it, the RIPLIB principle is basically : "You should never want to NOT advance. This situation violates that.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I thought of a fairly intuitive way to handle this. Have a button near the Profile button, called "Counsel" to cover situations that might come up under attack. That brings up a menu, Training, with sub-menus: "Training toward Javelineer", "Training toward Swordsman," "Training toward Pikeman," or "Train as you wish."

Then you could also have a menu for Retaliation, with the option "Spare enemies from death," or "Retaliate as you wish." That first option might prompt an Are you Sure dialog.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

first thing is okay, but how:

- For each unit, or for each unit type?

And second: Winr, and it would be to easy to milk exp by chosen unit, etc. Just wesnoth shouldn't have possibility of sparing enemy from death or not retaliating at all. Also, MP would be much slower, if everybody chooses so many options during they're turns. I think that bell is best option, but... i don't have sound :-(

(gotta fix it, :-)
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Aisikle

Post by Aisikle »

I was going to say yes because I needed that fire drake dammit but, gimme a candy was just so profound that I was awe inspired by it :lol: .