Balancing the Drake Faction

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Duke Guillermo

Balancing the Drake Faction

Post by Duke Guillermo »

This topic is for discussing ways that the Drake faction could be better balanced. This would be beneficial to the game because the Drake faction is one of the worst in the game not because of lack of strength, but because of lop-sidedness. This balancing issue is a cause of, among other things...

1) No level one unit does impact damage.
a. Many units in Wesnoth have a negative resistance against impact damage

2) Every unit in the Drake faction (including Saurians) has at least a -20% resistance against cold attacks.
b. Mages and Dark Adepts (among others) wreak havoc on the Drakes because they can do nothing about it, they have no counter against many magicians in the game

If you have ideas to improve these and other issues regarding the drakes post them here.
In summation, you're wrong.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Soo. . .. cold resist unit with impact damage?

I can do that.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: Balancing the Drake Faction

Post by Doc Paterson »

Duke Guillermo wrote:This topic is for discussing ways that the Drake faction could be better balanced. This would be beneficial to the game because the Drake faction is one of the worst in the game not because of lack of strength, but because of lop-sidedness. This balancing issue is a cause of, among other things...

1) No level one unit does impact damage.
a. Many units in Wesnoth have a negative resistance against impact damage

2) Every unit in the Drake faction (including Saurians) has at least a -20% resistance against cold attacks.
b. Mages and Dark Adepts (among others) wreak havoc on the Drakes because they can do nothing about it, they have no counter against many magicians in the game

If you have ideas to improve these and other issues regarding the drakes post them here.
Let me know when you'll be online, and I'll attempt to change your mind about this. Tell those Undead of yours to hit the dojo, the gym and the weight-room. 8)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Duke Guillermo

Ways to improve the Drakes' balancing issues

Post by Duke Guillermo »

It would seem that the most logical solution to this problem is to tweak the saurian skirmisher. His stats currently don't make much sense (how does a soldier with no armour have a 10% resistance against pierce attacks?) The skirmisher should become an anti-magic unit that is terrible vs. blade and pierce weapons. In real life a lizard's skin is impervious to fire and ice, but could be cut with a knife. Why then is this flopped in the game? His stats should be changed in this manner:

The same: Level, Race, Alignment, Moves, HP, and XP, defenses in terrains

Changes:

Cost: 17

Attacks
a. spear (pierce, 4-4) melee
b. knife (blade, 4-2) melee, backstab

Abilities

a. Anti-magic = magic attacks depend on defense of Saurian, no longer automatically 70% - easy to program, doesn't add to complexity, adds to strategy and balance
b. Backstab - used when skirmisher uses his knife, truly accentuates the strategy you should use him for, sneak around ZOCs and backstab

Resistances:

Blade = -30%
Impact = -10%
Cold = 30%
Holy = 20%
Fire = 30%
Pierce = -30%

These changes would address a lot of the balance issues in the Drake faction as it allows them to contend with cold attacks, but doesn't make them only stronger, they are weaker in other areas considering that they are terrible against almost everything else. The skirmisher is better than before though and as such his cost is increased by two. His two levelled up versions should be changed in the same way.
Duke Guillermo

Possible ranged impact?

Post by Duke Guillermo »

Correction, the drake glider has impact damage at melee, however this unit is like the cavalry of other factions, renowned for its movement, not combat ability. Its low hp make it so that the drake faction still doesn't have a viable option for impact damage at the first level.
Duke Guillermo

Post by Duke Guillermo »

Oh, and Paterson, I also love the Drake, it just pains me to see that they have no defense against some units and kick vs. others. They are great vs. factions without much magic (orcs for example) but they do get destroyed by the undead so, if you want to play that map drop me an email at doublew1230@yahoo.com so we can set up a time.

Thanks, Will
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

it just pains me to see that they have no defense against some units and kick vs. others.
Isn't this applicable to any faction in Wesnoth, in both unit and group level :? ?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Duke Guillermo

Post by Duke Guillermo »

No, loyalists are as an example, some are good vs. spell casters, some are good vs. melee, some are good vs. ranged. loyalists have the potential to beat any unit in the game with one of their own. Drakes do not (mages, dark adepts)
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

Duke Guillermo wrote:Oh, and Paterson, I also love the Drake, it just pains me to see that they have no defense against some units and kick vs. others. They are great vs. factions without much magic (orcs for example) but they do get destroyed by the undead so, if you want to play that map drop me an email at doublew1230@yahoo.com so we can set up a time.

Thanks, Will
How about telling me to I can watch?
Duke Guillermo

I'll post the time of the game here,

Post by Duke Guillermo »

I'll post the time of the game here, if it happens, so we can see if the drake can beat the undead.

Recap:

I think that the undead will beat the drake even if played by an inferior player because they have no defense against cold and thus no defense against dark adepts. Paterson disagrees. I want to play a match to see who is right.
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

Undead also take extra damage from fire.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: I'll post the time of the game here,

Post by Doc Paterson »

Duke Guillermo wrote:I'll post the time of the game here, if it happens, so we can see if the drake can beat the undead.

Recap:

I think that the undead will beat the drake even if played by an inferior player because they have no defense against cold and thus no defense against dark adepts. Paterson disagrees. I want to play a match to see who is right.
I'm not seeing you on the server....Are you Duke Guillermo on there as well, or do you have a different nickname?

Let me know when you're usually online.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Drakes are overpowered, but make up for it by being universally weak to Pierce and Cold. My advice: Reduce the cold weakness, make at least one unit resist Pierce, and then balance them again.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Drakes are overpowered
Neoriceisgood wrote:Your face is overpowered

I think drakes are underpowered, they have 40% def max and saurians have low hp.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I know this whole arguement will lead to a new drake unit; well deserved, as they're the smallest faction around;

the question is, what will the unit be like! send me your prayers and I will awnser!
Signature dropped due to use of img tag