Resting

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
icen

Resting

Post by icen »

I found a post by Dave by quickly browsing the forum, concerning sleep. That gave me an idea - why not to make healing more complex? I mean, some units could heal faster/as fast as in the village in special places: for example, some of the elven units: in woods, mermans in the deep water, some orcs in the caves... what do you think? But they could get a penalty if attacked during the rest - because they didn't expected it and their defense is worse. The player would have to think whether this is a good idea.
"The caterpillar can never fathom the butterfly." - Timothy Leary
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Re: Resting

Post by fmunoz »

icen wrote:something something..... more complex? ... other things...
You gave the best point against it.
Look for KISS :-)
icen

Post by icen »

I knew it, that somebody will quote it as vote against :) Well, sometimes more complexity gives you more options in game which makes it more interesting.

I love the fact that the terrain and other things affect the battles. That is interesting, that is how I see this idea :)
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Add more overhead as you need to tell what units are resting or wha tunits are not resting...
Move my elf to the forest to get better defense againt that heavy infantry approaching... the game then thinks that I'm resting and got rolled over by a mace because I have worse defence
icen

Post by icen »

No. You move the elf to the forest, click rmb on him and choose rest - 1 round, until healed etc. or just rest (and he rests for 1 round). When you go into the forest he will not automatically rest.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Giving certain units additional bonuses, possibly healing, in certain terrain is a good idea. The woses were originally proposed to have their regeneration only when in forests or water.

The proposal about activating a special "healing" mode is bad, though.
icen

Post by icen »

Feel free to post your views people;)
nonobots

Post by nonobots »

Maybe the 2 points you get for doing nothing could be doubled in your race's preferred terrain? Wouldn't affect undead - not until we get a graveyard tileset...
X Shok

Post by X Shok »

This could be used like a terrain specific ability. Like "rests(forest)". Units waiting in that specific terrain would get 4 hp instead of just 2, just like nonobot suggested. And maybe it could just be a race specific attribute (forest for elves, mountains for dwarves, grasland for humans,...).

Oh and maybe it should be required that there is no enemy next to the unit when it is resting. Otherwise this would be a significant defensive bonus.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

The resting bonus has already been proposed, and with no interface whatsoever. Basically, while in your preferred hex tile (according to the species of the unit), resting would have a bonus (+1 or +2, the later effectivily doubling resting efectiveness).

I think the resting bonus could be a good thing, if only to make certain garrisons of units be better at swapping lines in certain terrains, or making you value more certain terrain.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

The hardest thing about making regaining HP quicker in different terrains is the fact that it would be very hard to teach to the AI. The AI has a hard time with understanding the value of terrain as it is.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.