Unit history

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
dogscoff

Unit history

Post by dogscoff »

Probably been suggested beofre, but I wasn't sure what to search for:

It would be nice if each unit carried a little history with it, just for RP and 'bonding' reasons. Maybe on the right-click menu. In particular, I'd like to know when the unit was first recruited. Obviously adding information like this to each unit would increase the savegame file, but perhaps the feature could be toggled on/off.

Other unit information that could be recorded: (in ascending order of pointlessness)

1-Battles that the unit has served in.
2-List of kills that the unit has scored.
3-Total kills by that type of unit. (ie all horsemen)
4-As 2 and 3 above, but broken down by scenario.
5-Kills/losses ratio for that kind of unit.

On a similar note, some after-battle stats would be nice: Units recruited/ recalled/found, units killed/ lost etc - all exportable to text files for the statistical uber-geeks among us.

:)
unsung

Post by unsung »

This seems like a good idea to me. i have been wondering how many kills some of mine have.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
scott

Post by scott »

The idea is fine by me, but that's all we need - for people to become MORE attached to their units.
:D
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
unsung

Post by unsung »

welll of course im attached to them, level three units are critcal to my staragey. if they die thats o ne thing. if it dies and I cant just r ecruit another its annoying. really anoyying.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I'm not sure if this is relavent, but if you go into the save file, at the bottom it does give some stats like that but on a broader basis. :arrow: shouldn't be to hard to do. (disclaimer: I have no real knowlege, but this is my impression)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

I like it. Collecting this type of information in a more general matter, maybe for the statistics screen, could help for balancing purposes, too.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

When an undead of mine goes lvl 2, i normally give them a name.

This also keeps it with the fact that in TDH the more advanced undeads have developed osme kind of personality.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Warrior King

Post by Warrior King »

unsung wrote:This seems like a good idea to me. i have been wondering how many kills some of mine have.
same here. i like this idea.
Matthias[Wlkp]

Post by Matthias[Wlkp] »

Unit stats would be nice :). Enemies killed, damage inflicted, damage taken, etc.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

"Elviór, your Elvish Champion, was recruited into your army during the battle of Blackwater Port, and was promoted to a Hero in his first battle, though he was gravely wounded. He served valiantly at the Bay of Pearls, the Siege of Elensefar, where he was promoted to a Champion, and the Princess's Battlefield, where he was gravely wounded.

He has slain 38 of the foe with his sword, and 7 more with his bow. Unfortunately, an unlucky fate must be on him, since although he should by rights have dealt out a total of 415 damage over the course of his career, he only succeeded in inflicting 322, and though he should only have taken 210 damage, he was dealt 238 damage by his enemies."

Wouldn't it be immesurably cool if we could get it to automatically generate things like this? :D
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Yeh, this would be soooo cool. We'd need lots of different ones so not to be repetive, we could add it into their descriptions.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Well, discriptions are per unit type, while we would need something for individual units - wherever name and traits are kept track of, I suppose.

Maybe we could get a per-unit history added to the description when we hit "d", or use a new key (like "i" for "info") and give it it's own window.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

This is an idea I've had since the beginning, and yes I do think it'd be pretty cool....
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Attila

Post by Attila »

ozymandias wrote:Well, discriptions are per unit type, while we would need something for individual units - wherever name and traits are kept track of, I suppose.

Maybe we could get a per-unit history added to the description when we hit "d", or use a new key (like "i" for "info") and give it it's own window.
Or a much shorter version than EP's that appears when you mouse over the unit's name.

And then for dead units it would be slightly longer

An example format:

"[unit name], the [unit type], is the most [adjective*] of [use type**]s. [gender specific pronoun] was recruited [preposition***] [scenario where recruit], and served dutifully through [#number of battles in], killing [number of kills] enemies, and inflicting [amount of damage]."

if dead add:
"[unit name] was killing during service to [gender specific possesive pronoun] lord [preposition] [scenario where killed]."

if dead level 0 or 1 add:
"It is a shame [gender specific pronoun] was killed so young, having never reached [gender specific possessive pronoun] fighting ability"

if dead level 3+ add:
"Dieing most honorably in battle, [unit name] shall always be remember as a fearsome warrior, who died a true hero"

*traits (example: the most strong and quick)
**fighter, archer, scout, etc (mixed fighter would be as fighter)
***"at" if scenario name is a place, "during" if scenario name is a event
kangounator

Post by kangounator »

it would be really intersting to know at the end of a campaign how many unit were killed by this one
"Draw me a sheep." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"And i sorry for my english." - tomsik