Alchemy

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Seiryu

Alchemy

Post by Seiryu »

When i came back from Milan I went home and switch on the computer. Then I chated with my friend and I speaked about world of warcraft. I asked him many questions and all about legends, characters,... And suddenly I asked him all about alchemy.

I told you this report because I thought that it could be nice thinking of new units in some factions. So if the upgrade of the elf shaman (from Elvish Shaman upgrade: herbalist) is a elf herbalist then what about alchemist which can work whit the herbalist so that they make differeant type of potions which will cost :
- health potion, heals 20 points of health. ( 35 gold )
- poison potion, poison the enemy. ( 20 gold )
- anti-poison potion, heals the potion. ( 25 gold )
Answer me by puting new ideas or by puting critics.
The N'EX is in my blood.

[Off from Wesnoth]
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

IMO idea isnt too wesnothian.
why noone understand.. we have FEARURE FREEZE until 1.0, it mean devs do NOT will add new features until we will have ver 1.0
ryn

Post by ryn »

Your idea is interesting, but it would make Wesnoth into an entirely different game. Also, it will not possibly be implemented before 1.0, especially not by the development team. Wesnoth is not about single people - I prefer to think of it as a general commanding brigades or regiments. Remember, hexes can be miles across. You cannot focus on creating a single potion and using it on a single enemy unit. That is beyond the scope of the game.
2B |! 2B = 3F
Attila

Post by Attila »

ryn wrote:Your idea is interesting, but it would make Wesnoth into an entirely different game. Also, it will not possibly be implemented before 1.0, especially not by the development team. Wesnoth is not about single people - I prefer to think of it as a general commanding brigades or regiments. Remember, hexes can be miles across. You cannot focus on creating a single potion and using it on a single enemy unit. That is beyond the scope of the game.
That may be the case, but could it be possible, through heavy WML, to have a unit, whenever it goes onto a village, go to a dialog to make a potion, for vast amounts of gold or that unit'[s health, and then have the potion drop on an adjacent hex? I think that might be very interesting in a campaign, even if it does go against much or what Wesnoth is.
scott

Post by scott »

Well, there is item support in the game, but no inventory management, which is what this would require. You can program these effects, even a 1-time poison attack. You just would need some kind of event trigger for the WML. Support for this kind of thing would be a long term project, and fairly complex to boot. Given the back seat that items take in this game, I'm not sure if it is worth it unless there is something else of value you could accomplish with a unit inventory interface.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Attila

Post by Attila »

scott wrote:Well, there is item support in the game, but no inventory management, which is what this would require. You can program these effects, even a 1-time poison attack. You just would need some kind of event trigger for the WML. Support for this kind of thing would be a long term project, and fairly complex to boot. Given the back seat that items take in this game, I'm not sure if it is worth it unless there is something else of value you could accomplish with a unit inventory interface.
I was thinking a dialog where you can select one of a small number, say five, types of potions that would be things like a poison potion, which gives a unit poison damage for a couple turns, or a full heal potion, or a fire potion.

It seems like a kind of neat idea for a campaign hero.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

How does a poison potion poison someone? They'd have to drink it, right? What are you going to do, force-feed them? :)

It seems like with any potion you could create, you'd be better off using a unit with that specialty to do it themselves, because it would be much cheaper. Want to poison someone? Use an assassin. Want to heal someone? Put them on a village. Especially at the prices you propose, it seems like it would never be cost-efficient to buy a potion.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

i once had an idea of random items that would appear of the map
Looking like scrolls.

When a unit ended his move on hex the unit gains some of the following random bonuses

8 exp
8 additional hp
1 additional attack
1 new trait
kangounator

Post by kangounator »

turin wrote:How does a poison potion poison someone? They'd have to drink it, right? What are you going to do, force-feed them? :)

It seems like with any potion you could create, you'd be better off using a unit with that specialty to do it themselves, because it would be much cheaper. Want to poison someone? Use an assassin. Want to heal someone? Put them on a village. Especially at the prices you propose, it seems like it would never be cost-efficient to buy a potion.
The potion can buy in a bottle you throw when the bottle hit something or someone it braek and the small piece of the bottle cut the oppenent and the poison go in the blood

I hope you will understand
"Draw me a sheep." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"And i sorry for my english." - tomsik
Seiryu

Post by Seiryu »

kangounator wrote:
turin wrote:How does a poison potion poison someone? They'd have to drink it, right? What are you going to do, force-feed them? :)

The potion can buy in a bottle you throw when the bottle hit something or someone it braek and the small piece of the bottle cut the oppenent and the poison go in the blood

I hope you will understand
Sure thats what I thought about not exactly the same but the same principal.
The N'EX is in my blood.

[Off from Wesnoth]
Seiryu

Post by Seiryu »

Yes but if you want to poison them faster and you want to heal someone faster you could use that. But I would agree if you say that the prices are high.
The N'EX is in my blood.

[Off from Wesnoth]