New Terrain Ideas

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
NTJedi

New Terrain Ideas

Post by NTJedi »

I played several games during the weekend which was great fun. I do have some suggestions which would greatly improve the gameplay.

1) First... I noticed the game is missing some types of terrains such as:

Lava = Only flying units may pass... ground units trying to cross lava will take 25 pts of damage per square.

Volcano = 3% chance every turn Lava is shot from the Volcano. 8 Lava squares will randomly appear within a 15 square radius of the Volcano. If a ground unit exists where a Lava square lands the unit takes 25 pts damage.

Floating Iceberg = Treated as snow yet only found on water and randomly moves to an unoccupied adjacent square each turn.

Wall of ICE or FIRE = Blocks all ground units from passing any units with opposite element of the wall can destroy the wall. Example... someone with a Fire attack could destroy the wall of ICE. This could make for some more interesting game strategies as players would try to sneak a mage to the front for removing these types of walls.

WasteLand = This is terrain where the land has had the life sucked out of it. Trees have no leaves... ground is mostly black. Undead would have bonuses for this terrain.
There can be only one.
~Highlander
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

All are implementable by WML, but I don't see why any of them would improve gameplay.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dreadwing

Post by Dreadwing »

Oh terrain that move sound cool....I though of some terrain.

Quick sand:Unit will be trap on it for 1 turn or take damage and here some more Tarpit/Whirlpool/Sinkhole/ or they are like cliffs.

Water fall:just for look maybe.

Pyramid:Just maybe act like a castle or mountain.

Treehouses:They would be good homes for elves.

Flesh gound:just to make it look freaky make a terrain look like flesh and blood could be use to represent underworld or something...

Bone/Skull Castles:Just a big skull with some bones around it but the skull moves??maybe give damage to enemy units.

mist terrain:just any terrain maybe just grassland with thick fog, u can't see other units you can your colour unit and the shadows of others units if they are next to your unit(all shadow look the same)

Clouds:Think anyone can put clouds in the game they just move around if so birds too.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Hey, this doesn't sound too bad. How about this:

Unsecure Rock: When stepped on the unit is killed by tons of rock spilling on him.

Nothingness: Like Cave Wall, can't step in it, but it's still there.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Nothingness could be called void stripe, and it could teleport the unit in it anywhere on the map (including deep water, canyon and cave wall)
whirpool - moves in deep water, kills any non-flying units that are in it and sucks all non-flying units in a 6 square radius closer to it based on the unit level (level 1 3squares, lev2 2sq, lev3 1sq).
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

lol I was kidding with nothingness. But hey, you made it into a good idea. :)
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Attila

Post by Attila »

is there any need for these in thee game as a whole, if a certain terrain is needed for a sceneario, the scenario developer will add it. suggesting that these terrains should be added to the game isn't really worth it. the wasteland however, I like this idea. it doesn't involve WML and can be used in place of the wreckage tiles.
NTJedi

Post by NTJedi »

New Terrain is always welcomed by anyone who makes maps! More variations to choose from means more geography ideas for maps.
There can be only one.
~Highlander
Shade

Re: New Terrain Ideas

Post by Shade »

NTJedi wrote: Lava = Only flying units may pass... ground units trying to cross lava will take 25 pts of damage per square.
Lava is in CVS. It works exactly as you described, save that land units simply can't pass it. Think of it as underground canyons...
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

NTJedi wrote:New Terrain is always welcomed by anyone who makes maps! More variations to choose from means more geography ideas for maps.
As a map maker, what I want for terrain are these things:

Wasteland: 1 move cost & 30% defense for Smallfoots. We have plenty of low defense and movement terrains, but no low defense, high movement terrains.

For other movetypes, I'd say 20% for Drakes, 40% for Undead, 50% for fliers (duh), 20% for Swimmers, 50% for Elusivefoots, 30% for Saurians, 20% for Largefoots and Armoredfoots, 30% for Dwarfs, and 10% for Woses. Did I miss anybody?

Camp: Terrain that functions both as a keep and a castle, but that is an alias of Grassland. Its use may be seen in the second (or first real) scenario of Ilayin the Illusionist.

Other than that, I don't seem to recall wanting any new terrains, except for a terrain like Forest that does not benefit Elves (i.e 50% for all normal humanoids), but that would be a boring kind of terrain.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

NTJedi wrote:New Terrain is always welcomed by anyone who makes maps! More variations to choose from means more geography ideas for maps.
Just wondering, how did you come to this conclusion? Are you a map designer?

I'm only asking because I am, and I find your statement odd, to say the least...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

Maybe he meant artistically. I think a waterfall would be great, but just as a canyon tile.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Dreadwing

Post by Dreadwing »

I still think Sky or cloud as a terrain would be cool then u can make floating landscape and most units with wings will have better def on them but I guess those units are already good enough....
NTJedi

Post by NTJedi »

turin wrote:
Just wondering, how did you come to this conclusion? Are you a map designer?

I'm only asking because I am, and I find your statement odd, to say the least...
I make many maps... none finished for this game yet. My most recent maps have mostly been done from HeroesIII, AgeofWonders:ShadowMagic, and Stronghold. HeroesIII has had the best map editor I've seen for TBS games.

As I said in my quote... More variations to choose from means more geography ideas for maps. Why be limited to 20 terrain types when you could have those 20 terrain types PLUS 40 others! Nothing odd about wanting more options/variables available for making maps.
It's like saying you only want lettuce and onions as options for your hamburger instead of lettuce, onions, ketchup, pickles, tomatoes, and mustard as options.
There can be only one.
~Highlander
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I have always held that useless variation is bad, not good. 60 terrains would be way too many; 20 would be too many. We only have 13. ;)
Your analogy, BTW, is IMHO not apt. Yes, I'd prefer to have lettuce, onions, ketchup, pickles, tomatoes, and mustard as options, but I WOULDN'T want to have 5 kinds of ketchup, 3 kinds of mustard, 3 kinds of lettuce, a choice of onions diced or not, same with pickles, etc etc...

And it might just be that the linux map editor for HoMM was different, but IMHO the HoMM map editor sucked...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm