Usergroups

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Sithrandel

Usergroups

Post by Sithrandel »

I was just wondering whether implementing the usergroups of phpBB might be a good idea. If this was done by OS then it could prove an easy way to have a reminder of what OS users are talking about when comments are posted in various places.

It might help me decide whether or not to plough in with a response or whether it would be totally irrelevant :)
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Usergroups are cool.

I support this :)
Disto

Post by Disto »

Usergroups?
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I want my own personal usergroup! :P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

User-groups by OS seems like a good idea; often new users assume we know what OS they are using, which causes about 2/3rds of the suggestions given to the user to be completely pointless...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Disto

Post by Disto »

What is a Usergroup!
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

The problem with trying to group users by OS is that not all users are limited to a single OS. Within a few feet of me, I have machines that run Debian, Solaris, FreeBSD and Windows.

I'm not saying the idea is utterly without merit, of course. I just want to make sure there's some flexibility on the system.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
scott

Post by scott »

Maybe OS could just be listed somewhere in the phpBB interface
On the apple forums it's part of the signature, but it could be under or in lieu of location (since only about 50% of people actually list a location)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

xtifr wrote:The problem with trying to group users by OS is that not all users are limited to a single OS. Within a few feet of me, I have machines that run Debian, Solaris, FreeBSD and Windows.
Similar here (Mac & PC 12cm apart)... but given the choice... do you play Wesnoth equally on all or prefer one machine?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well, you can, IIRC, join multiple usergroups. So you could just join the linux usergroup, and the mac one, and the windows one, and the "other" one... 8)

If that's not how usergroups work, than ignore this. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

xtifr wrote:The problem with trying to group users by OS is that not all users are limited to a single OS.
Such people could choose to belong to more usergroups.