Question for the dévelopers...

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Marcus

Question for the dévelopers...

Post by Marcus »

Hey! :D

I have a question for you... Why do you not create a «campaign creator?»

Thats will be cool! I'm full of idea for great campaigns for wesnoth...

I wait for your reponse!
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

There is a "sample" campaign that you can modify on the campaign server.

But, the easiest way to make a campaign is still with text. Go and read the campaign data for hints on how campaigns are done.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
scott

Post by scott »

There is a scenario editor, but I don't think it is very useful to a WML newbie and it's too slow for a WML expert.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Question for the dévelopers...

Post by Dave »

Marcus wrote:Why do you not create a «campaign creator?»
The main reason is because creating one is hard. It's something which is potentially as hard -- or harder -- than the game engine itself to code.

It would be cool, but no-one has yet had the time/compulsion/skill to do it. Anyone who wants to do this really is welcome to though.

Though some people do theorize that creating a campaign is more efficient with text anyhow, once you know how, and that anyone who is willing to spend the effort to make a decent campaign would be willing to spend the effort to learn how to make campaigns using text.

After all, with over 20 campaigns on our campaign server, it's not like we're short of them. :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sithrandel

Re: Question for the dévelopers...

Post by Sithrandel »

Marcus wrote:I have a question for you... Why do you not create a «campaign creator?
I did create one and no-one used it, except for the map aspect (it is built into the MacOSX build).

Dave is correct to say that a lot of work is involved (even using Cocoa). My editor is useable, customisable but not quite the Human Engineering dream I aspire to. In its current incarnation the GUI handling of events and customisation isn't complete simply because not enough people wanted it. So it still relies on some text snippets. If the config and help files were 100% up-to-date it could prove a useful tool if only for the referencing :)

Dave is also right to say that text is more efficient, it is a *lot* more efficient. I realised this when writing the editor.

Also, you need to understand how WML works to make an interesting and efficient campaign. If you understand WML and like efficiency then once again text is the way to go (as Scott pointed out).

So all-in-all I would consider the editor almost a waste of time. I would certainly not suggest others dedicate the time to it. On the flip side, it has brought my re-write of an old MacOS7 RPG that I have been planning for ages a little closer to reality as it has further refined editor ideas for that :)
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

I have a question (duh). There are patches for Wesnoth, right? I can't figure out how to download them. Someone want to help me?
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Assasin wrote:I have a question (duh). There are patches for Wesnoth, right? I can't figure out how to download them. Someone want to help me?
Uh, no, there's no patches. Isnt' that what SIthrandel said earlier? That he doesn't make the patches anymore because there was a lack of interest?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

I didn't read his post :P There are different places to download campaigns other then the defalt one, right? Is there a list of urls?
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Patches? Where do you people come up with this stuff? Its not even like were having a conversation and you missed something, all the posts are right there! Sith said he stoped doing the scenario editor because there was a lack of interest.

Personaly, if I found it to be fairly functionaly and usefull I would probebly take the time to learn to use it, but I can't speak for the other OSX users.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
scott

Post by scott »

Well of course you like it - the unit pictures are all assassins! That and not being able to type in most of the text fields of the most recent version put a damper on its usefulness.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

What would be easier would be an "editor" that was simply a modified text application, with the addition of a setup like the top of a posting field, with buttons for "quote" "bold" etc. , but instead it would be the different possible tags, making it easy for beginners.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Ok... Tanks to all.
I'm going to try with «codes», and if this is not «possible» for my, I can tell my ideas to you! :wink: (devolepers)
Disto

Post by Disto »

Is there a place with all the patches which have been done for Wesnoth, eg. AMLA.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

romnajin wrote:What would be easier would be an "editor" that was simply a modified text application, with the addition of a setup like the top of a posting field, with buttons for "quote" "bold" etc. , but instead it would be the different possible tags, making it easy for beginners.
That is similar to what the event editor section ended up moving towards. Tags, but using the GUI for placement, etc.

Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

scott wrote:Well of course you like it - the unit pictures are all assassins! That and not being able to type in most of the text fields of the most recent version put a damper on its usefulness.
Damn! Bugfixes required I think!

Obviously the integration didn't happen as smoothly as I'd first thought.