Let Skeletons resist Fire?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Let Skeletons resist Fire?

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

All-faction weaknesses are the worst things factions can have. Drakes are incredibly annoying because every last one of their units is weak to pierce and cold. Undead are incredibly annoying because every last one of their units is weak to fire and impact.

So, I siezed on two of their less powerful units --- the Skeleton and Skeleton Archer --- and found a way realism supported me. Burning bones is hard! Why do you think burning bodies often results in charred bones? It's because the bones didn't burn so much! So, obviously realism supports me when I say Skeletons should be hard to burn. Now for gameplay: Factions can't be balanced if they're universally weak to a damage type, especially if it's a type not all other factions have. Many of the people who've complained that Undead are weak cited their fire weakness, and they have a valid point. A faction with a universal weakness will either be weak, due to their weakness, or overpowered in all other areas, as the Drakes are and the Undead were. (The Undead are now only overpowered in some other areas.) So, if/when the Undead are balanced, they will be weak. That must be countered! There is the gameplay reason this should be done.

Now, for the specifics: Change the fire resistance of the 'skeleton' movetype --- wait, there is no 'skeleton' movetype --- so, either create one, or simply add 'fire=70' to the skeletons' [resistance] tags.

Yes, I think 30% is a good amount of resistance. It's not like bones can't be burned, after all...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I Agree
Shade

I'd support this

Post by Shade »

I'd support something like this. Hmm, maybe just making them fire neutral, or 10% resistant... But I am a conservative old fart :)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

I disagree.
Look at skeleton resistances: 40% blade, 60% pierce & cold, weak against impact and holy. And you want add more resistances? Whit what I would have to fight with them? Elves have now mages - to reach far battlefields, after change I will have to recruit woses before game to not let skeletons take 3/4 of the map.

Same with drakes. They have ONLY fire to deal with skeletons quick enought to have chance to kill adept which stands behind skeleton before he will freeze them. Of coure you can count Glider as unit with impact, but IMO it's a little bad warrior.

Ok - northeners have trolls - but was always problem to be fast enought with them to not let enemy gain advantage by taking better posiotins on map (look above).

Loyalist - mages + infantry untill your change - later ONLY slow again infantry - or you want to pierce skeletons to death with spearmans...

Knalagans doesn't have this problem - they don't have fire dmg and they are able to fight with skels without problem (hammers/thugs etc).

So I think: Let Skeleton be Skeleton - and don't overpower him too much. Or give him resistance and incrase cost to 25 :) I think if you all think that skeletons are really so weak, then decrase fire resistant a littne - not too much - IMO -10% is enought (at most 0% but I prefer -10%)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Noy
Inactive Developer

Re: Let Skeletons resist Fire?

Post by Noy »

Elvish Pillager wrote:All-faction weaknesses are the worst things factions can have. Drakes are incredibly annoying because every last one of their units is weak to pierce and cold. Undead are incredibly annoying because every last one of their units is weak to fire and impact.

So, I siezed on two of their less powerful units --- the Skeleton and Skeleton Archer --- and found a way realism supported me. Burning bones is hard! Why do you think burning bodies often results in charred bones? It's because the bones didn't burn so much! So, obviously realism supports me when I say Skeletons should be hard to burn. Now for gameplay: Factions can't be balanced if they're universally weak to a damage type, especially if it's a type not all other factions have. Many of the people who've complained that Undead are weak cited their fire weakness, and they have a valid point. A faction with a universal weakness will either be weak, due to their weakness, or overpowered in all other areas, as the Drakes are and the Undead were. (The Undead are now only overpowered in some other areas.) So, if/when the Undead are balanced, they will be weak. That must be countered! There is the gameplay reason this should be done.

Now, for the specifics: Change the fire resistance of the 'skeleton' movetype --- wait, there is no 'skeleton' movetype --- so, either create one, or simply add 'fire=70' to the skeletons' [resistance] tags.

Yes, I think 30% is a good amount of resistance. It's not like bones can't be burned, after all...
Umm weren't you the one that was saying that the Undead were the strongest faction? and now you're advocating removing another of its weaknesses, and this is supposed to redress an unbalancing issue? Yeah, really great idea (insert sarchasm). Hey while we're at it lets remove crushing damage as well.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

And EP is wrong, drake clashers have more pierce resistance than other drakes.

burning bones can be hard... but WINR and like DK said there isn't much to fight them with this change.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I agree that factions which have a single weakness throughout the faction is a bad thing, which is precisely why I don't like the idea of single-race factions: it makes it difficult for the factions to be diverse.

Anyhow, an alternative to this which I have thought of for a while would be to add a new unit to the undead: a 'flame wraith'. Basically a wraith-like being that is permanently on fire; I think Neorice drew a good sprite for one. It'd attack with fire, and obviously have very strong resistance to fire.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

IMHO, factions, in addition to not having entire-faction weaknesses, should not have entire-faction strengths. So, the new skeleton movement type (for skeleton, skeleton archer, and upgrades) should be weaker to blade. Otherwise, the majority of units, which use blade, are basically useless against the undead.

I think the idea of a "flame wraith" is interesting... any that's all I'm going to say about it. ;]
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dragonking wrote:And you want add more resistances? Whit what I would have to fight with them?
Impact units. Y'know, the units that deal the damage type that the whole Undead faction is weak to.
Dragonking wrote:Same with drakes. They have ONLY fire to deal with skeletons quick enought to have chance to kill adept which stands behind skeleton before he will freeze them. Of coure you can count Glider as unit with impact, but IMO it's a little bad warrior.
Skeletons are weak. They have the lowest HP of any L1 fighter and their attacks are not strong. Even with 20% resistance, they have less effective HP on average than your average fighter.

What's more, the Adepts --- the only real reason you've stated that Drakes would fear Skeletons --- are overpowered.
Dragonking wrote:So I think: Let Skeleton be Skeleton - and don't overpower him too much. Or give him resistance and incrase cost to 25 :) I think if you all think that skeletons are really so weak, then decrase fire resistant a littne - not too much - IMO -10% is enought (at most 0% but I prefer -10%)
Well...
turin wrote:So, the new skeleton movement type (for skeleton, skeleton archer, and upgrades) should be weaker to blade. Otherwise, the majority of units, which use blade, are basically useless against the undead.
Turin is right --- we can remove that pesky blade resistance, which has been a problem for a long time. We can make the Undead diverse.

Due to conservatism, I suggest a reduction of Skeletons' Blade resistance to 20%.
Ankka wrote:And EP is wrong, drake clashers have more pierce resistance than other drakes.
They're still weak to it. Even though their resistance to it is 0%, they resist other stuff enough that it's one of their lowest resistances, and thus it's a weakness.
Dave wrote:Anyhow, an alternative to this which I have thought of for a while would be to add a new unit to the undead: a 'flame wraith'. Basically a wraith-like being that is permanently on fire; I think Neorice drew a good sprite for one. It'd attack with fire, and obviously have very strong resistance to fire.
:!:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Deathtenks

Post by Deathtenks »

Um no the Clasher lowest resistence is "Cold" So that is it's Weakness.... :lol:

But I like this idea....Make Undead diverse and not the Hoarde and crush faction....Well keep them that just make them more diverse about it ;)
Victory to those who do not fear death!
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I am against skeletons being resistant to fire, but I am for them being nuetral to it. Have you ever picked up one of those charred bones? Not very strong is it?
Sorry for the meaningless post
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Elvish Pillager wrote:All-faction weaknesses are the worst things factions can have. Drakes are incredibly annoying because every last one of their units is weak to pierce and cold. Undead are incredibly annoying because every last one of their units is weak to fire and impact.
No, saurians aren't weak to pierce; dark adepts and necromancers aren't weak to fire and impact.
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Monkey wrote:
No, saurians aren't weak to pierce; dark adepts and necromancers aren't weak to fire and impact.
But saurians ARE weak to cold, IIRC. So there is still a problem there.

And dark adepts are support units, not really suited to front linesmen. You can't exactly put up a wall of dark adepts in the front line to defend against a bunch of heavy infantry or woses, and there's not really a unit you can put there, except the corpse. Which dies, but is so cheap it doesn't matter.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

It doesn't make what he said right.
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

He meant in GENERAL
Sorry for the meaningless post