[engine] Would like to create a new kind of engine

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
RalphBa

[engine] Would like to create a new kind of engine

Post by RalphBa »

Hi all,

Short introduction of myself before I come to the point. My Name is Ralph, 36, Software Developer at AVL in Graz, Austria. In my free time I'm working on something I call causal runtime(https://gitlab.com/causal-rt/causal).

Causal basically is about creating non-reactive scalable algorithms. I call them causal algorithms. However, while the C++ Runtime itself is pretty much in technical preview state I need something meaningful to prove its efficiency. The methodology is as far as I see perfect for creating virtual worlds where stuff is happening. Since I'm a fan of BfW (well, less playing serious, I like the stories and the debug console :-D), my basic Idea was to try my runtime at creating a shiny new engine allowing some effects which might be stunning before one takes a look under the hood. (Stuff like realistic energetic discharges, realistic lightning effects not requiring a lot of processing(neither CPU nor GPU), and probably a lot more I even do not realize yet)

However, my question is simple. Is there the openness for creating BfW2 on basis of a new engine if it is there, offers the neccessary possibilites and performance for a next generation of BfW? So should I try my luck or should I focus on something else?

BR
Ralph
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: [engine] Would like to create a new kind of engine

Post by Ravana »

Current wesnoth 2 progress https://github.com/wesnoth/haldric

Discord has more people who can discuss this.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: [engine] Would like to create a new kind of engine

Post by Pentarctagon »

RalphBa wrote: March 9th, 2019, 11:08 am Hi all,

Short introduction of myself before I come to the point. My Name is Ralph, 36, Software Developer at AVL in Graz, Austria. In my free time I'm working on something I call causal runtime(https://gitlab.com/causal-rt/causal).

Causal basically is about creating non-reactive scalable algorithms. I call them causal algorithms. However, while the C++ Runtime itself is pretty much in technical preview state I need something meaningful to prove its efficiency. The methodology is as far as I see perfect for creating virtual worlds where stuff is happening. Since I'm a fan of BfW (well, less playing serious, I like the stories and the debug console :-D), my basic Idea was to try my runtime at creating a shiny new engine allowing some effects which might be stunning before one takes a look under the hood. (Stuff like realistic energetic discharges, realistic lightning effects not requiring a lot of processing(neither CPU nor GPU), and probably a lot more I even do not realize yet)

However, my question is simple. Is there the openness for creating BfW2 on basis of a new engine if it is there, offers the neccessary possibilites and performance for a next generation of BfW? So should I try my luck or should I focus on something else?

BR
Ralph
There is definitely an openness to running Wesnoth on a new engine - I don't think there's anyone that would disagree that the current engine is ageing and has quite a few limitations and problems. Where you will probably run into some disagreement is regarding what the solution is. As Ravana linked below, there is a Wesnoth 2.0 prototype being attempted currently, which will run on the Godot engine in part so that Wesnoth developers wouldn't need to spend the effort that's currently spent maintaining the current, custom engine. The current project lead, vultraz, is the one leading that effort as well, however there's no guarantee that it will be successful and it won't be something that's ready to be released anytime in the immediate future even if it is.

We do have a Discord(#development) and IRC(#wesnoth-dev) channel where you might get a more immediate response from current developers though.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code