Blood Bat -> Demon Bat

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:twisted: I have a better idea - why don't we delete the bat entirely, and replace it with something like a banshee?

I hate that friggen thing.

I don't want to rationalize it - I want to delete it.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Jetryl wrote::twisted: I have a better idea - why don't we delete the bat entirely, and replace it with something like a banshee?

I hate that friggen thing.

I don't want to rationalize it - I want to delete it.
If it has different stats, then it's "no way, sir. We're not dorking with undead balance more than we have to."

If it has the same stats, well, Bats are cool. I just can't picture any other generic undead being so weak.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Deathtenks

Post by Deathtenks »

The only thing i don't get is why undead is resistent(Sp) to Blade attacks...now really you slash downward on a skeleton..you expect it to survive? Well...unless you'r Sword is really dull maybe...But really...I would expect the sword to make a skeleton to callapase instantly...unless they got some kind anti Blade Magic protcting them :shock:

But i still prefer the bat :roll:

I proposed Vampire stats and everything but images...But ah well....I don't like the idea that the Undead have an Anti-Undead-Unit sorry but that is just me :/
Victory to those who do not fear death!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Elvish Pillager wrote:If it has different stats, then it's "no way, sir. We're not dorking with undead balance more than we have to."
easily done
Elvish Pillager wrote:If it has the same stats, well, Bats are cool. I just can't picture any other generic undead being so weak.
well, that's the thing. I can't picture bats as being UNDEAD. And I hate vampires and everything to do with them.

(in the meantime, I've committed my color fix to the bats, though not much else. I am loathe to waste any time improving the animations on a unit I hate, so they are gonna stay the way they are - time I would spend doing that will instead be spend animating *other* units, such as orcs and elves).
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Deathtenks wrote:The only thing i don't get is why undead is resistent(Sp) to Blade attacks...now really you slash downward on a skeleton..you expect it to survive? Well...unless you'r Sword is really dull maybe...But really...I would expect the sword to make a skeleton to callapase instantly...unless they got some kind anti Blade Magic protcting them :shock:
The blade wouldn't cut through the bone any easier than through flesh+bone, which is what elves have, but the skeletons don't feel pain so the blade doesn't effect them as much. Impact is so devestating because if you crush teh bone, it is useless. Pierce is so worthless because you'd usually have the spear slide through the bones.

Deathtenks wrote:I proposed Vampire stats and everything but images...But ah well....I don't like the idea that the Undead have an Anti-Undead-Unit sorry but that is just me :/
They don't. Which unit are you thinking of? :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:but the skeletons don't feel pain so the blade doesn't effect them as much.
I don't think that would effect it so much. What makes the difference IMO is that the skeletons do not also have muscles etc. to cut through, so since there's less stuff to be damaged, less damage is done.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Deathtenks

Post by Deathtenks »

Oh sorry I meant to say "I don't WANT them to have an anti-undead-Unit"

The Demon bat with Fire would just make it so they could swamr them in Undead vs undead....So...Sorry about the typo :p

Yes but a sharp blade would effectivly cripple a undead unit...cut off it's arms and legs...well...you get the picture...the Ghost I can understand with Blade resistence...but why no fire resistence? How can fire hurt a ghost? let alone much of anything besides holy?
Victory to those who do not fear death!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Deathtenks wrote:Oh sorry I meant to say "I don't WANT them to have an anti-undead-Unit"

The Demon bat with Fire would just make it so they could swamr them in Undead vs undead....So...Sorry about the typo :p
They're a 2nd level unit, and the tree starts at 0. You'd have to use a lot of bats and be pretty good at advancing them before you could attack. And vamps are BAD against undead. I don't see a swarm coming out of this...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

i agree with jet..

lets get rid of the bat.. and make a new unit
Hell Hound.
Or something
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

SaintDust wrote:i agree with jet..

Hell Hound.
Or something
Just to give you an idea of my taste in such things:
Undead-type stuff that I thought was cool from Warcraft III:
Ghouls. Skeletons. Skeletal archers. Acolytes. Necromancers. Liches. Abominations. Obsidian Statues. Death Knights. Meat Wagons. Banshees. Revenants. Spirits/Wraiths.

I actually *REALLY* liked the obsidian statues.

Undead-type stuff that I didn't like from Warcraft III:
Frost Wyrms. Dreadlords. Crypt Fiends. Crypt Lords. Gargoyles.

Undead-type stuff that I liked from Myth, the fallen lords:
Everything. Myth was awesome.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Jetryl wrote:Undead-type stuff that I liked from Myth, the fallen lords:
You just liked them because Wights are so cuddly.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Gafgarion wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Undead-type stuff that I liked from Myth, the fallen lords:
You just liked them because Wights are so cuddly.
Actually, I was personally more fond of their scream when they'd tear themselves open with their knives. I'm quite a sucker for games with things that scream funny, which is why I had a patched sound file for marathon which could take the paint off the walls when Bob got TOZTed.

I also liked Bullfrog's Syndicate for the same reason.
When you lit someone on fire, they would stumble around, screaming bloody murder and suddenly collapse in a pile of charred bones. I was also fond of what would happen to poor fools who got the laser treatment. Disappear in a puff of smoke. :twisted:

Really, though, Myth's design work was almost perfect - the only f***-up they ever had were the mauls, in Myth II. (other mildly bad mentions were the forest giant, and myrkridian giant).
Disto

Post by Disto »

Hell Hound.
Or something
Hell hound can be done, 2 levels of unit, 1st Skeleton Hound, 2nd Hell hound
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Disto wrote:

Hell Hound.
Or something
Hell hound can be done, 2 levels of unit, 1st Skeleton Hound, 2nd Hell hound
The bat may be undesirable, but a lot of work has been done to make it balanced... if we're going to introduce a new unit, why don't we have it be more similar to the bat, so we can transfer the stats instead of making new ones, which would then have to be balanced?
The World of Orbivm
Shade

Hey!

Post by Shade »

Hey that bat is a major character in TRoW! :)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages