Slamdance Independent Game Competition

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
eean

Slamdance Independent Game Competition

Post by eean »

Some have probably heard of this since I got a link to it from Penny-Arcade. But Slamdance is having a game competition for independent developers with a possible $5000 prize and some publicity to go along with it. So my first thought was you guys. Penny-Arcade is on the list of judges, so just having Gabe or Tycho play your game and perhaps talk about it would bring a lot of exposure, whether or not you win. Good to show the power of Open Source, its obvious they didn't really have open source projects in mind but you all would qualify. It costs $70 to register, application must be postmarked by Dec 10th.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Assuming we qualify for the competition, I bet we could raise the money to enter. It sounds like it might be good publicity.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Hell, I'd toss in $5 to the pot.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I'm all for entering, although I'm a little too young to contribute.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Well, I believe Wesnoth has enough funds from donations to cover the entry fee, if we want to go in for it.

What do people think? Any particular reasons why we shouldn't do it?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
LibrarianBrent

Post by LibrarianBrent »

Slamdance page wrote:Games must be feature complete.
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

LibrarianBrent wrote:
Slamdance page wrote:Games must be feature complete.
Define "complete" :D

I mean, our game is relatively feature-complete (mainline scenarios done/relatively well balanced, factions in mainline scenarios relatively well balanced, etc). We might not be out of our minds to release 1.0 tomorrow, if we didn't keep adding new features and hence new bugs. We could sell this game as feature complete, if we decide to enter.

And becides, even if they throw us out on our asses, so what? I bet that we could get our 70$ back if they tell us we're ineligable. It's certainly worth a try, IMO.
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

---Douglas Adams
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Hmm the prize money isn't alot split 128 ways, but then again there is the glory and fame part. I wonder if I could pick up any chicks....
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Kamahawk wrote:Hmm the prize money isn't alot split 128 ways, but then again there is the glory and fame part. I wonder if I could pick up any chicks....
I think most of the prizes are in the form of software and other things...

Anyhow, all prize money would be re-invested into Wesnoth, or donated to Free software projects that Wesnoth has found useful. Sure, a couple of grand isn't much if we split it between Wesnoth developers and contributors, but it could, for instance, be used to pay for some advertisements in game magazines to spread the word about Wesnoth and Free software in general.

Software prizes would be given to developers who would find them useful...

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Good point, I think the first prize is $5,000. How much coverage for wesnoth could we get with that?
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Kamahawk wrote:Good point, I think the first prize is $5,000. How much coverage for wesnoth could we get with that?
That's in cash and prizes.

Often these things give most of their prizes in terms of software.

E.g. Microsoft could donate Visual Studio .Net Enterprise Edition to the winner, and that'd account for $2000 worth (or whatever that product costs) of the prize.

So it'd be alot less in actual cash.

David
ziberpunk

Post by ziberpunk »

Dave wrote:
Kamahawk wrote:Good point, I think the first prize is $5,000. How much coverage for wesnoth could we get with that?
E.g. Microsoft could donate Visual Studio .Net Enterprise Edition to the winner, and that'd account for $2000 worth (or whatever that product costs) of the prize.

So it'd be alot less in actual cash.

David
If Microsoft donates Visual Studio .Net we could turn it back to MS due to license rejection and get the money back.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

ziberpunk wrote: If Microsoft donates Visual Studio .Net we could turn it back to MS due to license rejection and get the money back.
Uhh...if Microsoft donates Visual Studio .Net I think we will accept it since it's a darn good compiler, and will enhance our Windows builds, plus allow us to abandon using some outdated and incorrect code that is necessary to compile on MSVC++6. ;)

David
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Okay I'm entering us in this thing.

I'm using some Wesnoth funds to enter us into this competition.

Any prizes will be re-used for Wesnoth, or donated to other projects that Wesnoth uses. If taxes must be paid on prizes, prize money will firstly be used for that.

If anyone has any objections to this, please let me know ASAP.

David
silene

Post by silene »

Not really an objection, but what do you intend to do about that?
If your game requires additional hardware (audio cards) you are responsible for supplying four (4) sets of needed equipment
(as a side note, I'm a bit stumped their hardware does not even have soundcard, they don't explain what it is, I hope it can display a good enough resolution)