Long-range Damage Calcualtions

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Long-range Damage Calcualtions

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I often find myself moving a unit next to a target for the sole purpose of checking how much damage it would do, and undoing immediately after. Though this is absolutely ridiculous, it usually works just fine. However, when undoing is prevented (fog/shroud and sometimes events) this can get very annoying, since I have a habit of doing it.

Thus, I'd like to see a way to calculate the damage without moving the unit. I suggest the user interface would be to select the attacker, move the mouse over the defender, then use the contextual menu or a hotkey to show the damage calculations.

(It's true that this would leave out leadership, backstab, etc in some cases, but that's a minor concern.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
joshbosh321

Re: Long-range Damage Calcualtions

Post by joshbosh321 »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I often find myself moving a unit next to a target for the sole purpose of checking how much damage it would do, and undoing immediately after. Though this is absolutely ridiculous, it usually works just fine. However, when undoing is prevented (fog/shroud and sometimes events) this can get very annoying, since I have a habit of doing it.

Thus, I'd like to see a way to calculate the damage without moving the unit. I suggest the user interface would be to select the attacker, move the mouse over the defender, then use the contextual menu or a hotkey to show the damage calculations.

(It's true that this would leave out leadership, backstab, etc in some cases, but that's a minor concern.)
Lazy:) Just use "delay fog/shroud update"
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

---Douglas Adams
Doros

Post by Doros »

this would also be useful with units that have no ranged attack. often, I'd like to see how much damage a horseman will take in retaliation if the unit he's attacking survives, but I can't even use EP's original method to check this.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Huh? If your horseman charges and misses, the enemy deals out the damage listed on the combat screen.

Delay Fog/Shroud Updates is your friend, people
Doros

Post by Doros »

Circon wrote:Huh? If your horseman charges and misses, the enemy deals out the damage listed on the combat screen.

Delay Fog/Shroud Updates is your friend, people
I mean if the archer survives - in that case, he'll used his ranged attack next turn. Because the horseman has no ranged attack, it doesn't display the ranged information when using EP's method.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Circon wrote:Delay Fog/Shroud Updates is your friend
Delay Event Occurences is my highly non-existent friend.

Also, that's a big nuisance. Delaying fog/shroud almost doubles the checking time.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I agree with this - my suggestion was an optimized for small size translucent overlay (not unlike our current sidebar tooltips), which would show the following, with center-justified text:

Line1: hp
Line#: damage-number chance to hit

We would use small 16x16 icons to show what type of attack it was, and because attacks are matched by range, we would not need to show what range they are.

If, say, an troll attacked a dark adept, we would still have two line#s, and each would have an empty slot on the other side.

These mouseovers, IMO, should be optional, but I would leave them on by default. I believe this would be a wonderful addition to the game, and would really ease the learning curve of new units. No more bringing up the unit info, looking at percentages, and trying to figure out what exactly the numbers would come out to, just a selected unit and a mouseover would show everything you need.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

See http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 2634#52634 for a solution to some of the problems raised in this thread.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming