Hair-Color-System like Side-Color-System

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
MetalKing

Hair-Color-System like Side-Color-System

Post by MetalKing »

It's perhaps useful to identify the Clone-Units but it's anyway strange that all Units from a specific Type have same HairColor. The HairColor is not sufficient to identify a Unit-Type. I prefer to have Variations in the Hair-Color of a Unit instead having a Hint by the HairColor instead that the Units look anyway all like Clones. Variations in the HairColor could be a simple Way to vary their Look. What think other about that Matter ersp the Idea to implement a Color-Mechanismus for Hair that the HairColor gets defined by a single Color-Value similar like the Side-Colors of the Units?
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9
Deciton_Reven

Re: Hair-Color-System like Side-Color-System

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Pretty sure this should go in ideas... but...

If this was used it wouldn't help you as much as you think. There are actually not a lot units with visible hair, and some that do have hair wouldn't be able to use this idea anyways, because of story reasons. (Like the thieves who all bleach their hair, or the elves that are all blonde because of genetics/innate fairy-ness). It would also mean sucking up another palette range, figuring out all the ranges to recolor that to, and recoloring all the units that would use this.

I mean, as much as I've always wished for this in my heart of hearts, I knew it wouldn't happen because the reward doesn't justify the workload. IMO.

It might be nice for UMC, though.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

The thieves could always just dye their hair greens and stuff as well as blues, the elves have blonde, yellow and white hair or something, etc.
taptap

Post by taptap »

You imply that hair is drawn with a single hue. I doubt this is actually the case in the Wesnoth sprites. Even then changing blond to black hair would involve more than a hue change. And of course you would loose the trademark blue hair of thieves and the "orange" hair of footpads which some players (i.e. me and hopefully others) would miss. And even TC often looks awkward (look at drakes in exotic TC), having another part of the sprite modified like this would lead to many awkward looking things runnning around just for the sake of variety.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

Elves don't have all blond and also not grey/white/aged Hair due to Aging doesn't concern them.
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Units’ hair would have to be re-colored like team colors. Not an easy task.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Deciton_Reven wrote:Pretty sure this should go in ideas... but...
I think so as well. Moved.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Isn't it easier to use [variation] tag + additional set of art?

So I think it's CABD.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

This is actually the reason I implemented the ~PAL() image function a few years ago, after Jetrel mentioned this during a conversation. The only things we are lacking is a cleaner implementation than [variation] (for example, a list of random image mods for a unit type from which one could be chosen at random), palettes, and new clean artwork that can use them. The latter two steps have been in the queue for a while, but they are obviously Jetrel’s own task and it’s up to him to decide whether it’s worth it for mainline or not.

In other words, [acronym=Been suggested before; we think it's a good idea; hope to add it eventually]BWH[/acronym]. And of course, it can be already done by UMC authors with some creativity ([object] and [event] might be useful), dedication (because building palettes isn’t as easy as it sounds), and suitable art assets.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

Thanks for Move, but this Topic matters also ArtWork and a changed Way top design Hair was a Point I wanted to hear Opinions of ArtWorkers. However, it's truely a Matter that fits better in Ideas. I saw anywhere a Unit that used another Color-Scheme than {TEAMCOLOR_IS_MAGENTA}. IIRC it was Green or Blue but for sure not Magenta. So the technical Matter sounds to be rather simple resp. conception probably solved. I see just smaller Problems if the HairColor conflict with the TeamColor-Code or the HairColor-Code with the TeamColor.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

No, it won’t, as long as all the palettes involved are unique without shared colors. While that’s not necessarily true for the magenta TC palette once color ranges come into action, determining the resultant recolored palettes and ensuring hair palettes do not contain any colors from them is easy enough (using Wesnoth RCX, or a series of recolored magenta TC swatches someone produced before) and only needs to be done once.

The only real concern in art terms is that mainline is full of sprites with excessive colors for which building a hair palette is both impractical and would result in additional recolored bits from other parts such as their skin. That’s why they will be gradually redrawn for this purpose.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.