WaterCrafts with Names

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
MetalKing

WaterCrafts with Names

Post by MetalKing »

At Present Ships doesn't play a significant Role in Wesnoth. Ships could get Names like we are used to name Ships in RL. There could be any special RuleSet to create Name-Combinations like "foo of bar" for "Star of South" and "Seefoo", etc. even the foo and bar are substituted by "strange sounding Words" with that Meaning.

Be aware that Ships were in ancient Cultures the first Kind of Vehicles that was able to carry heavier Loads even before wheeled GroundCrafts were developed. I think Ships could get also Characteristics to vary Resistance and Velocity. If you make a Ship liter then its lesser resistant but faster. If you make a Ship longer and less wide it gets faster but can carry less Load.

Anytime Wesnoth should decouple Range of Sight and Movement as Ships should be able to look at least a two Fields inside flat Clountries even it can't move there.

MK
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9
alluton

Re: WaterCrafts with Names

Post by alluton »

For sight problem I think new version will have that possibility. Also there is alteast one era whit ships. Propably there are many others.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

MetalKing wrote:At Present Ships doesn't play a significant Role in Wesnoth.
Yeah, this is by design. Wesnoth (mainline) is not a naval warfare game.

Of course, you didn’t specify whether this idea was intended for mainline or add-ons in your post...
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

I consider naval Forces as basic for Spread of Civilizations on Planets with Oceans deviding the Surface into seperate Continents. "Planet Wesnoth" seems to have similar Amount of Water like Earth. There are several Campaigns making Use of naval Units: In "Son of BlackEye" (SoB?) the Loyalists uses Ships to move Units over the River. In "Under the Burning Sun" UtBS Anytime the Party travels by Ships over the Oceans. In the Story of "The fellowship of the Clay" where the Past of the um..Town is treaded the Story tells that the Humans there did arrive with Ships. I can't remind the Campaign but there was a Campaign were People from an Isle moved to Wesnoth Continent. With better Support for naval Units B4W doesn't turn into a naval WarFare Game but a Game with better Support for naval Units. Whatever the Aspect of B4W is if Maps with coastal Aspects plays a Role also naval Units plays a Role. There are two naval Races (MareMen and Nagas) with humanoid Aspects (Arms and Hands, but no Legs/Feets) filling the Gap for naval Units. It's irritating if you say B4W isn't for naval WarFare and therefor leaks in Support for mechanical WaterCrafts but you have (naval) Maremen to fight (naval) Nagas. I embrace that B4W isn't Naval WareFare-centric but I consider the present Situtation of weak Support of naval Aspects as unsatisfying.

I like the Idea of LandingCrafts to move Units quick&safe on flat/safe Warters like Rivers and coastal Sea with quick Unload/Upload of Units (small WayCosts), larger Ships with Advantages for DeepSea for Movement, quick Upload/Unload in Harborts and Ships equiped with Rammers or Balistas/Scorpions or loaded with Combustibles to cause a strong single Attack against a heavy protected naval Unit or Harbort.

B4W can't and don't ignore the Need for naval Units but leaks in Support for mechanical naval Units for my Understanding. I see three Races with clear Relation to SeaFaring: Humans, Elves and Orcs. Dwarves should rudimentary as well but they are more known to be related to Mountains and Caves .. and Gryphon-Riding, of course. :)

*edit Campaign-Name fixed
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Naval warfare is not the same as aquatic creatures fighting each other, and even then you might have noticed they don’t make for interesting scenarios on their own. This is also by design.

Using transport ships and the occasional warship for plot purposes doesn’t make Wesnoth a naval warfare game either. In fact, most instances of these in mainline act as props, not gameplay elements.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Hi MetalKing,
giving ships names is more or less easy, please have a look at data/core/units.cfg and at the [race] tag in the wml reference wiki.

If you do that work and send in a patch it will most likely be accepted, just naming a ship will not hurt much, especially since the few appearances in core can be named manually, this won't turn Wesnoth into a "naval warfare simulation".
Depending on what you expect from a "naval warfare simulation" you might have enough possibilities with the 1.12 engine, since I am working on similar gaming aspects.

The different movement/vision proposal will be possible in the upcoming 1.11 dev and 1.12 versions.
But don't expect the core ship units feature it, it's pure UMC only.
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

Thank for Answers. I'm really curious about Changes in 1.11 and now 1.12, too. I expect that with new Vision-Behavior and jamming Units the Game gets more Interesting. I did download the actual Trunk and wonder what I can already figure out.

I understand the Point UMC. Is it possible for UMC to create Files/Data necessary to auto-generate Unit-Names for orcish/human/elvish Ships when such an Unit gets "recruited"?
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

Units.cfg contains the data for unit names determined based on race. In theory you can include this kind of data in a UMC units.cfg, depending on what names you list you may get some weird-sounding output though - reading the file, it looks like it just picks a name at random from a list. But in reality, that list contains the data-set for a Markov text-generator, which semi-randomly generates new names similar to those in the list (it recently gave me an Elvish Shaman named Eleleleleliel!)
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

The_Other wrote:.. (it recently gave me an Elvish Shaman named Eleleleleliel!)
Sounds like a critical Bug. ;D