Walkthroughs?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Bablefish

Walkthroughs?

Post by Bablefish »

I have noticed that a lot of people have been asking the same questions on the forum about various general stratagies to use in certain levels. Perhaps it might be worth while to creat a walkthrough for each campain on med, or easy. This way people will be able to go to there for suggested stragaties instead of continually posting the same thing over and over. Hard should be left without a walkthrough, so that people have something to look forward to. Just a suggestion.
scott

Post by scott »

http://wesnoth.slack.it/?ScenarioDiscussion

I think Fulk started working on this, but I think his goals were not to make a formal walkthrough, just scenario notes.

However, this page would be more useful as a walkthrough.

I think it should be written ONLY for medium difficulty. Reasons: Easy allows you to use some sloppy strategies sometimes, and it should be there for players to get the flavor. Hard is for those who graduate to advanced strategies. Thus it would also avoid 2 or 3 sets of strategies for each level.

So, get going! Try to be concise.
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

I guess a Walkthrough makes more sense when 1.0 will be released :)
Bablefish

Post by Bablefish »

Well now that I think about it, creating a formal walkthrough isn't really going to work as well as I thought because of all the random things that can happen, however I did take a look at his notes, and I think I will continue them in that sort of fashion. However this is going to take me a while. Guess I will contact the moderators and dave when I am finished. See if they want to use it.
scott

Post by scott »

I like what he did, but I wish he could have been more concise to improve readability. However, it's nice to read about how 'tinkerbells' come in handy.

You can edit the Wiki. If the powers that be don't like it, they'll just delete it. You have going for you the principle that if X is better than Y, even slightly, then X should be used even if it is not as good as Z, the eventual goal. Since X is better than nothing, go for it.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:Since X is better than nothing.
Don't make assumptions like this. In this situation, it probably is, but not necessarily - it does depend a lot on what X is.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I still think the best thing is to teach the AI to play the 'human' side and win, at least on easy level. This was discussed a little in this thread:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1692

This way newbies could flip a switch and see what the AI would do. There are many other benefits to this as well (a way to define what 'easy' means for example...)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Darth Fool wrote:I still think the best thing is to teach the AI to play the 'human' side and win, at least on easy level. This was discussed a little in this thread:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1692

This way newbies could flip a switch and see what the AI would do. There are many other benefits to this as well (a way to define what 'easy' means for example...)
HELL YEAH Great idea!

(this will have the side effect of making easy ... well, "easy.")
Roel

Post by Roel »

Jetryl wrote: (this will have the side effect of making easy ... well, "easy.")
I'm not playing games to be the best player ever and beat everybody else, I just want to have a good time and get away from real life for an hour or so. Most of the times I like games that are easy enough to walk trough without ever having to start a level over.

I'm finally getting the hang of wesnoth and I'm enjoying it more then I used to just because I can actually beat some levels from the first try. It's no fun having to play on easy and having to try the first scenario of a campaign 5 times without beating it, easy should be easy, hard should be for the die hards trying to be the best player ever.