Screenshot feature

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Zamael

Screenshot feature

Post by Zamael »

This... may have been suggested before. I made a quick search with the "screenshot" word, didn't find anything from the first couple pages, made this thread.

Anyway. It'd be awesome if there was an internal "save screenshot" -button, especially with the map editor: if I want to take a shot of the map I've made and show it to you, I'm forced to zoom it out until it's so fuzzy you can barely make out anything of it, in order to make it all fit on the screen at the same time. This is frustrating and looks silly.
This is a shameless ad. It contains my campaign. Please enjoy it. All comments and feedback much appreciated.
Max

Re: Screenshot feature

Post by Max »

there's a hotkey for that in 1.6...
Zamael

Post by Zamael »

There is? Why was I never informed of this?

Can I use it in the map editor too?
This is a shameless ad. It contains my campaign. Please enjoy it. All comments and feedback much appreciated.
Max

Post by Max »

that's a feature for the map editor (which has different hotkeys)...
Zamael

Post by Zamael »

You're not helping.

If you don't tell me those hotkeys I will be forced to look at the manual! (Wherever that is. I don't think I ever even found the manual.)
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

The hotkey is called "Map Screenshot", seems clear enough to me, so I suppose you didn't searched very long :roll:. Check hotkeys settings to assign one for this. And yes, it works in editor too (maybe need to set the hotkey there too, not sure). Also, using it in editor allow to hide units from the screenshot. One current flaw of the feature is that it creates heavy .bmp file.
Zamael

Post by Zamael »

Alink wrote:One current flaw of the feature is that it creates heavy .bmp file.
But the .bmp file can be opened in MSPaint and saved again as a .jpg, no?

Regardless, this is useful information, and I thank you for it.
Max

Post by Max »

Zamael wrote:But the .bmp file can be opened in MSPaint and saved again as a .jpg, no?
why don't you just give it a try?
Zamael

Post by Zamael »

Max2008 wrote:
Zamael wrote:But the .bmp file can be opened in MSPaint and saved again as a .jpg, no?
why don't you just give it a try?
That one was more of a statement rather than a question.
Max

Post by Max »

paint also supports png btw, at least in xp...
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

You should open it in at least Paint.NET, Photoshop, or GIMP, and you should save it as either a .png or .gif. If you can't use anything but MS Paint, you should only save it as a .png (MS Paint saves other formats in extremely low quality).
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Zarel wrote:(MS Paint saves other formats in extremely low quality).
See my avatar? Originally, the clouds were one color... Thats what MS Paint did to it, although I saved this as a Gif.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

jpeg is not the best format for storing screenshots. Gif has the problem of being restricted to 256 colours. I recommend png.

Ah... Ms Paint should be deleted from all computers over the world.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Lord Ork wrote:jpeg is not the best format for storing screenshots. Gif has the problem of being restricted to 256 colours. I recommend png.

Ah... Ms Paint should be deleted from all computers over the world.
I don't understand why you're so critical of one of the core software programs bundled with Windows. According to Wikipedia, MS Paint now defaults to PNG as of Windows 7. It only took them ten years, that's innovative!
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Aethaeryn wrote:I don't understand why you're so critical of one of the core software programs bundled with Windows. According to Wikipedia, MS Paint now defaults to PNG as of Windows 7. It only took them ten years, that's innovative!
Not surprising. BMP is simply a memory dump of the bitmap information used internally inside of Windows graphic subsystem, GDI.

Same thing happens with their document formats. And in their most evil incarnation, they transformed said memory dump into XML, and got it approved as a standard. :x