[interface] Option in preferences for "Delay Shroud Updates"

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
TheBladeRoden

[interface] Option in preferences for "Delay Shroud Updates"

Post by TheBladeRoden »

Sometimes I'll restart games or reload games in shrouded maps and I forget that doing so resets the "Delay Shroud Updates" checkbox, and my units end up doing an automove at the beginning of turn that moves the shroud that I can't undo. So I think there should be a way to make "Delay Shroud Updates" a sticky option instead of a temporary one.

And speaking of automoves, I think if if you press U in the middle of them it should immediatly halt them, instead of having to wait until they're all completed before you can undo them.
Founding Father of Columbia
rchandra

Re: Option in preferences for "Delay Shroud Updates"

Post by rchandra »

I thought I already replied here, but I don't see it now.

Sounds like a very good idea, I make the same error a lot.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

A straightforward and nonintrusive suggestion that provides a small convenience to a significant number of players. I like it.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

It's been a year, time to offer up this suggestion again
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

TheBladeRoden wrote:It's been a year, time to offer up this suggestion again
Better would be to post a Feature Request. If you want the feature, that's the next step. ( :hmm: Ideally, you'd have done this a year ago; there would have been a chance we'd have seen it by know.)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Molean

Post by Molean »

I was just talking to someone about that need for being able to keep shroud delay on or something like that.

How is one to know if something belongs in feature request? How does one even know about that, unless someone like you posts about it?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Molean wrote:How is one to know if something belongs in feature request? How does one even know about that, unless someone like you posts about it?
Well… more visibility to the process may not be a bad thing here, but it's simply the last step to let the developers know it's a wanted feature.

Generally, here's how things work:
  1. Do a quick search on the forums to see if it's been discussed before, and you may also want to check the bug-tracker as well to see if it's already been proposed.
  2. Start a topic here on the forums after reading the list of Frequently Proposed Ideas and the thread "Giving your idea the best chance of being accepted."
  3. If the idea passes favorably, or there is no staunch objection to it, then you (or someone) may submit a Feature Request at the bug-tracker.

Mods/devs: Maybe we could amend the Giving your idea the best chance of being accepted page with the process like I have detailed here (or as written here, perhaps?)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

Months ago, Gabba submitted a patch for this and it was committed in trunk (edit: which means that it will be in 1.9 and is already available for svn users)
https://gna.org/patch/?1556
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Alink wrote:Months ago, Gabba submitted a patch for this and it was committed in trunk (edit: which means that it will be in 1.9 and is already available for svn users)
https://gna.org/patch/?1556
Thanks for spreading the news, Alink. I imagine a number of Wesnothians will be happy with this addition.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Most usefull, IMO. Thanks.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

TheBladeRoden wrote:Sometimes I'll restart games or reload games in shrouded maps and I forget that doing so resets the "Delay Shroud Updates" checkbox, and my units end up doing an automove at the beginning of turn that moves the shroud that I can't undo. So I think there should be a way to make "Delay Shroud Updates" a sticky option instead of a temporary one.
I would find this useful.
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

So it's been another year and it seems things have moved backwards on this issue, as the delay shroud update checkbox itself has been removed. I don't think planning mode is a good replacement for this feature, as it has its own problems with multi-turn moves.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

But there is a "Cancel Orders" button on the load screen that solves your original problem a different way.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

That may be true, but DSU is very useful in 1.8 multiplayer games (in which you can’t legally save/reload for obvious reasons) when one wants to try possible moves with the ability to undo regardless of the fog/shroud status.

I haven’t really played MP in 1.9.x but the last time I checked the whiteboard alternative seemed to be over-complicated.

Just my two cents.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

shadowmaster wrote:I haven’t really played MP in 1.9.x but the last time I checked the whiteboard alternative seemed to be over-complicated.

Just my two cents.
I second that. Planning several moves with all the arrows going here and there and overlaying each other is too complicated for a mp game with time limit.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign