Dialogue/Writing forum

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Gambit
Loose Screw

Dialogue/Writing forum

Post by Gambit »

I think there should be a new forum for discussing writing dialouge and storylines and wesnoth canon/history. We have them for art and code so why not for the scripts.

Quite a bit of the people asking for help are asking questions of canon and grammer.
And ive seen several people offering thier services as "writers".

Fixed spelling mistake in your thread title. -Turuk
DEATH_is_undead

Re: Dialouge/Writing forum

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Gambit wrote:I think there should be a new forum for discussing writing dialouge and storylines and wesnoth canon/history. We have them for art and code so why not for the scripts.

Quite a bit of the people asking for help are asking questions of canon and grammer.
Thats actually a good idea, and easy to do...
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Gambit wrote:I think there should be a new forum for discussing writing dialouge and storylines and wesnoth canon/history. We have them for art and code so why not for the scripts.

Let me fix that up for you:
Gambit wrote:I think that there should be a new forum for discussing writing dialogue, storylines, and wesnoth canon/history. We have them for art and code, so why not for the scripts?

Quite a few of the people asking for help are asking questions of canon and grammar.
And I've seen several people offering thier services as "writers".
Hmmmm. Come to think of it, such editing is just the thing a "writing" forum would be geared towards.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Sangel wrote:I think that there should be a new forum for discussing writing dialogue, storylines, and wesnoth canon/history. We have them for art and code, so why not for the scripts?

Quite a few of the people asking for help are asking questions of canon and grammar.
And I've seen several people offering their services as "writers".
And such a forum would allow multiple sets of eyes to edit and view the same piece. :lol2:
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

I think it is a really good idea, especially for those of us who have multiple campaign ideas in their head but don't either have the time or get way too frustrated coding. The thing is though some people may write on it and edit texts wrong...
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Akkarin345 wrote:The thing is though some people may write on it and edit texts wrong...
That's open-source for ya :lol2:

But overall I think it's a good idea (though when I see this I think more of lore).
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

A good idea - there are music and art fora, why not one for writers? At one point someone proposed a wesnoth "book", and there is a poetry section of the wiki if i'm not mistaken - ideas like these might actually go somewhere. And of course it would be good for pre-WML campaign design.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

/add support. I think that we could get some far higher quality writing into our campaigns is there was a dedicated place for it. And there are quite a lot of improvements which could be made.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

I agree this idea 100%. There is always place for another forum, isn't it?
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

I like this idea, a lot. That way, you don't have to be a programmer to pitch a story idea. This makes it very plausible for someone from coding, someone from art, someone from music, and someone from writing to collaborate on a single campaign. And maybe help to teach each other, too.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

CarpeGuitarrem wrote:I like this idea, a lot. That way, you don't have to be a programmer to pitch a story idea. This makes it very plausible for someone from coding, someone from art, someone from music, and someone from writing to collaborate on a single campaign. And maybe help to teach each other, too.
Yeah, people keep saying that, but honestly I doubt it's ever going to happen (at least not very often). Scenarios really aren't that interesting, coding-wise (at least most of the time) - it's a lot of grunt work, rather simplistic really. I'm pretty competent coding scenarios, but no way in hell I would do the grunt work for someone else's plot and characters. I think most WMLers would feel pretty much the same way.

If someone's in it "just for the coding", they would probably want to be doing something a bit more interesting than WML - maybe working on the actual Wesnoth engine or something. I know that's what I would do.

Also, WML's not that hard to learn; I find it hard to take seriously anyone who wants to write a campaign but can't be bothered to figure out how to use it. If they're not dedicated enough to do that, I want nothing to do with their storyline - it probably hasn't had a whole lot of effort poured into it either.

OK, end of rant. That said, I do think a writing forum could be a good idea - as long as it's not a place for people to write out elaborate storylines for campaigns that are never going to get off the ground, and is instead a place for people to work on the narrative and dialogue in campaigns that are already being worked on, and to work on flavor text for units and such. Not sure how that would be enforced; maybe there could be a rule that you would already need to have started working on the WML for your campaign before you can post in the writers' forum asking for help with your story. :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Akkarin345

Re: Dialogue/Writing forum

Post by Akkarin345 »

I have been going through the writing for a new campaign out on the server. I think some of the problems aren't to do with writing but with some people starting off writing their campaign in english when they don't know it very well. Don't get me wrong i think people whose first language isn't english but still try to learn it and use it campaigns etc is a great show of effort and determination. However, for a person who is English i feel that sometimes it is nice to help those people, as if some other players can't pick up the thread of the campaign they will just quit it, mearning less feedback.

I'd actually prefer to do a lot of writing for the campaigns, i enjoy writing. A lot of the time i come up with ideas as well but which i have no idea how to do in WML. I don't think its we can't be bothered with WML some of us, as i am attempting it myself at the moment, but that some people find the writing easier as WML can be a bit confusing sometimes.

I'm sure we could try it for a few months, if it goes wrong we delete it, if it goes well then its a good addition.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Turuk wrote:
Sangel wrote:I think that there should be a new forum for discussing writing dialogue, storylines, and wesnoth canon/history. We have them for art and code, so why not for the scripts?

And I've seen several people offering their services as "writers".
And such a forum would allow multiple sets of eyes to edit and view the same piece. :lol2:
Alas! I missed an error! :o
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

turin wrote:OK, end of rant. That said, I do think a writing forum could be a good idea - as long as it's not a place for people to write out elaborate storylines for campaigns that are never going to get off the ground, and is instead a place for people to work on the narrative and dialogue in campaigns that are already being worked on, and to work on flavor text for units and such. Not sure how that would be enforced; maybe there could be a rule that you would already need to have started working on the WML for your campaign before you can post in the writers' forum asking for help with your story.
Agreed. It is so easy to write out a "storyline" for a campaign, be it good or bad, that I feel that this forum would become quickly cluttered with oooo ooo use my story, it is way better that his/hers! While I can see the validity of the claim that maybe someone who can code WML will be so moved/interested in a story that they will offer to do the coding, I feel that those pairings of people are rare, where one person codes and the other writes. So the idea of instituting some sort of rule that the campaign has to have made some progress before going into the forum is a good one, but then it starts to become a grey area as to how to measure the right level of progress, and if it could be a campaign with one scenario and no dialogue or at least this done or that done.

All told, as much as it might devolve into pointless noise, if people just wanted to post up their story ideas in a separate forum, there's no requirement for others to read them. While the good work may be buried in tons of drivel, you can expect that someone will take notice of quality writing/ideas and so those threads would survive.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Well if there were specific people ( mods ) to make sure it doesn't get out of hand then they could clear out the old or non working progress, also help by asking about progress. Additionally there could be a FPI for writing ideas. Like we have had loads of people ask to do a campaign about this and this, why not try and think of something new? Also a what is under work at the moment thread?