The Princess of Wesnoth suggestion for serious discussion

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

The Princess of Wesnoth suggestion for serious discussion

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

In The Princess of Wesnoth, I was kind of annoyed that I had to spare Li'sar with no excuse. I think that there should a more obvious reason not to kill her.

Delfador could say at the beginning, "We must not kill Li'sar. The princess is as much an heir to the throne as you, Konrad, and that must not be taken lightly."

I hope this thread doesn't get sidetracked like the other one.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Mutxiko
Location: Neuilly, France OR Basque Country, France OR Taniquetil, Aman :p

Post by Mutxiko »

I agree with you : the transition from "Li'sar=target" to "Li'sar=spared unthreatening girl" is really quick, and even annoying : when I saw the reaction of Konrad and Delfador, I just thought "They must be drunk indeed !". Moreover, I think that the "secret" plan of Li'sar appears like a big cliché, thus it should be told in a different way.

Your idea ( of making Delfador tell Konrad it is a bad, unfair and naughty idea to kill Li'sar ) is probably a very good solution, Elvish Pillager.
Mutxiko

Namárië! Nai hiruvalyë Valimar.
Nai elyë hiruva. Namárië!
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I still say the sick joke ending I proposed earlier. And no, I'm not joking.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

In fact, I'd suggest introducing the "we can't kill Li'sar" element right at the beginning. When the characters first arrive and see their foe, we should have a dialogue. I'd volunteer -

Kalenz - "It's Princess Li'sar!"
Delfador - "Confound it. If we kill the princess, Ashviere's wrath will be incalculable. We're going to have to take her alive."
Konrad (Medium, Hard) - "Then take her alive we shall."
OR
Konrad (Easy) - "That won't be too hard."
Kalenz (Easy) - "Careful, Konrad. The Princess can draw upon far more forces than any mere general, and is skilled in combat as well. She could prove a formidable opponent."
Konrad (Easy) - "Then let's get going!"
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Stosswelle

Post by Stosswelle »

ok, ill keep from sidetracking this thread, but i cant promise neorice wont
Hard/Melodic Trance, other Electronica:
http://www.musicv2.com/artist/stosswelle
Play Blood Series Maps!
--- ~WAY~ We Are Yousnoth---
<Li`sar> he likes it when i stand up with the remote held high "I am the princess"
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

Yeah you tell 'em bro! That dialogue will easily explain the point without enfuriating users. Having different dialogues for the different difficulty levels is a great idea.

P.S. My brother is smart! :D :wink:
Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else! :)
Elvish_Pillager

That gives me an interesting idea. Instead of using the standard "Kill them to capture them," how about the goal is to surround Li'sar with units?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

of course, the real reason that they can't kill Li'sar has nothing to do with Ashievere's wrath; it is because she is (?) the true heir to the throne. Since Kalenz knows this maybe he should say something (but not too revealing; save that for Elven Council)...
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Elvish Pillager wrote:That gives me an interesting idea. Instead of using the standard "Kill them to capture them," how about the goal is to surround Li'sar with units?
because if you do that you have to find a way to prevent the player from killing her :wink:
Elvish_Pillager

Boucman wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:That gives me an interesting idea. Instead of using the standard "Kill them to capture them," how about the goal is to surround Li'sar with units?
because if you do that you have to find a way to prevent the player from killing her :wink:
That's pretty easy. Just make you lose :twisted: or make her 'not die' when you kill her, by making a new version of her. Or maybe not.
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Surround totally? So you need 6 units? If you only have 5 left from the fight, that could be really annoying. And what if Li'sar is on the edge of the map?
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
Elvish_Pillager

Invisible Philosopher wrote:
Surround totally? So you need 6 units? If you only have 5 left from the fight, that could be really annoying. And what if Li'sar is on the edge of the map?
Well, it could be "Have units on opposite sides of Li'sar at the beginning of the turn."
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Invisible Philosopher wrote: Surround totally? So you need 6 units? If you only have 5 left from the fight, that could be really annoying. And what if Li'sar is on the edge of the map?
Well, it could be "Have units on opposite sides of Li'sar at the beginning of the turn."
And how would you code that?
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
AT

is now

Post by AT »

I seem to recall killing her, and having her just stay alive anyway. Whats wrong with that?
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
Elvish_Pillager

WML to check for units in each of the six positions around her and if there is a unit in one, check the opposite side. Not particularly difficult.