ability - multi hex berserk

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Elven

ability - multi hex berserk

Post by Elven »

one of the ideas... in games like Heroes of M nad M are some special creatures with ability to hit multiple units, such a hydra.

what about adding a unit with devastating attack for multiple hexes?

an unit with attack for example 20-1, what damages anyone in the 6 hexes around this unit.

after attack (axe, so blade attack) all of the units will repeat that attack with their melee attack.

So... an example...

playing as knalga, a player will sent this unit between some of the elven units. for example fighter, hero and shaman. fighter and hero has been hitted by dwarven attack, and losed some of their life. all units than attacked the dwarven unit what cannot reply.

good idea?
Creator of Greenie knižnica and Greenie Linux and Wesnoth unofficial LiveCD; Slovak/Czech translator and creator of many campaigns. Everything is here on one place.
mowerpower

Re: ability - multi hex berserk

Post by mowerpower »

It looks to me that there is something like a consensus that these are bad special abilities for units to have.

I wonder, though: maybe it would be a good thing for some monster units? It could really crank up the "uh-oh" factor when you encounter these beasts in campaigns.... One could devise a game mechanic where monsters with our all new gigantic trait can attack in succession as many neighbouring units as they please.

Adding the beserk special to some of those sea monsters with swarm attacks might be good for the same sort of reason...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Elven wrote:good idea?
No. If it's not an FPI then it should be. Do some forum searches.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

mowerpower wrote:I wonder, though: maybe it would be a good thing for some monster units? It could really crank up the "uh-oh" factor when you encounter these beasts in campaigns.... One could devise a game mechanic where monsters with our all new gigantic trait can attack in succession as many neighbouring units as they please.
I think it'd be pretty easy to throw in an ability that sets attacks_left to 6 at the start of every turn...
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

AI wrote:
mowerpower wrote:I wonder, though: maybe it would be a good thing for some monster units? It could really crank up the "uh-oh" factor when you encounter these beasts in campaigns.... One could devise a game mechanic where monsters with our all new gigantic trait can attack in succession as many neighbouring units as they please.
I think it'd be pretty easy to throw in an ability that sets attacks_left to 6 at the start of every turn...
Then what stops it from attacking the same unit 6 times?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Gauteamus
Translator

Post by Gauteamus »

Aethaeryn wrote:Then what stops it from attacking the same unit 6 times?
...its berserker ability?

EDIT: I see now that the OP mentions nothing of the attacks of the unit actually having the berserker special.
Sum: Bad, bad idea for mainline, probably easy to implement for UMC.
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Hurray for WML.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

You could also implement this as an inverted healer... I have often thought about that.
Like a curse that decreases the health of all around.

But anyway, there are soooo much possibilities... best would be that campain-maintainers can create such stuff for their campains for some cool creeps.
-> WML
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

mameluke wrote:You could also implement this as an inverted healer... I have often thought about that.
Like a curse that decreases the health of all around.
Now that's something I'm actually kind of surprised no one has at least attempted.

The problem is healing takes place at the beginning of the turn, so it couldn't move then attack...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Sounds like a good way to force enemies to either get away or kill him though...
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

This ability smacks of being too powerful to use. The only way I could possibly see it used is 1) If the berserkers hitting percentage for this attack is reduced to half of normal and 2) No matter what, the berserk creature/being using it is "fatigued" to the point of having only 1 hp after utilizing it.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Last edited by kshinji on November 9th, 2010, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Can this already be done? (Zookeeper, Mist, anyone with good WML knowledge?)

If so, I have something to remind people:

If it's intended for a monster, it doesn't matter how overpowered it is. Don't let that factor into an arguement. Because Campaigns aren't balanced like MP is. Campaigns are balanced through win objectives, turns, gold, and things like that. It's balanced by the campaign author as he sees fit, and they have a ton of options, besides limiting the abilities the units get.

This is ideas, so play with the idea, discuss it, don't just discount something because it won't make its way into main-line MP units. The point is to have a ton of options open to campaign designers, because for them it's about flavor and story, not strict factional balance ... ...

re:coming up with a way to give a unit more than one attack per turn (rather than a multihex attack). If you had 6 heads, why wouldn't you attack just one person to wipe them out? I would. Just because it has the option of hitting more than one unit doesn't mean it has to. I actually think that that would be a much better way to depict a multi-headed monster than a simple mult-hex attack.

re: inverse healing. I agree, I remember it being brought up awhile ago, and considered an interesting idea at the time.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If you have an after_attack (or whatever it's called) event where you store and then unstore the attacking unit, it can attack again. :eng:

(Learned from writing a scenario where you're not supposed to get XP from killing a certain level 0 unit. My plan was to store the unit that got the kill, take away 4 XP, then unstore them. When I implemented it, I found that they ended up 1) not getting the XP from the fight, so they got -4 XP total, and 2) they could attack again afterwards, so if a unit was surrounded by these level 0s it could kill all six of them.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Below: "Harm -8" (damages enemies by up to 8 HP (can't kill them)) and "Restore +4" (heals self and friendly undead by up to 4HP)

Code: Select all

#define ABILITY_UNDEAD_HEAL
    [heals]
        value=4
        affect_allies=yes
        id=Undead_Heal1
        name=_"restores +4"
        description=_"Restores +4:
This unit, through knowledge of the very essence of life and death itself, is able to prolong the unnatural life of itself and those around it.

Undead units in the vicinity of this sorcerer may heal up to 4 HP per turn."
        affect_self=yes
        poison=cured
        [affect_adjacent]
            adjacent=n,ne,se,s,sw,nw
            [filter]
                race=undead
            [/filter]
        [/affect_adjacent]
    [/heals]
    [heals]
        value=-8
        affect_allies=no
        affect_self=no
        affect_enemies=yes
        id=Undead_Heal2
        name=_"harm -8"
        description=_"Harm -8:
This unit, by channeling the dark energies through living units around it, is able to cause great pain to them,

Living units in the vicinity of this sorcerer will take up to 8 HP damage per turn."
        [affect_adjacent]
            adjacent=n,ne,se,s,sw,nw
        [/affect_adjacent]
    [/heals]
#enddef