another idea.. and a question..

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
enclave

another idea.. and a question..

Post by enclave »

Question: when a developer sees that some thread is locked, what is the chance that he reads it?
Answers:
a) 100%
b) 50/50% (depends if the subject is interesting)
c) 1% (doesnt read it, because what is the point if it is locked already)

busy developers can just put a single "a" "b" or "c" as an answer...

Another idea: Why not to make it allowed to be locked only if 1 other developer agrees? to make it more user friendly...
a) No way
b) Go away
c) Ok
What doesn't kill us makes us stronger!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

1) Depends on who exactly it is. Developers in general tend not to read the forums at all - they're a waste of time. Personally, I read every thread that looks interesting, including locked threads.

2) No. It's not more "user friendly", even if it was that wouldn't be a reason to do it, and it would be a waste of everyone's, mainly the developers', time - whatever you may think, threads aren't locked capriciously, and if one developer supports locking a thread chances are about 100% that at least one more developer will do so. Essentially, this is the most inane suggestion I have seen in a while for how to fix a problem that doesn't exist, so, uh, it's not gonna happen.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Question: B. I'm not a developer but from my personal viewpoint that is about it.

Idea: I can only say maybe. But you don't have this as one of your answers.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

turin wrote:1) Depends on who exactly it is. Developers in general tend not to read the forums at all - they're a waste of time.
One look at how many locked threads there are in this forum gives a very good indication of that.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I'd say that as most of the time threads here are locked for a reason, usually FPI, but also WIN_, meaning that devs don't really need to read them.

For such threads that are locked for a clear, obvious reason, making to mosd/devs have to sign off on a lock would simply delay the process, as it will still end up being locked.

In less clear cases, we do discuss whether it should or not before going out and actually acting ;)

Btw, I read all locked threads, to see why they were locked...so A I guess
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Noy wrote:One look at how many locked threads there are in this forum gives a very good indication of that.
It should be noted that a number of locked threads are locked because the discussion has come to a halt, not necessarily because they're a bad idea. Sometimes an idea is okay but it's not the right time to pursue it (say, just before a stable release), sometimes an idea is okay but is relatively minor so Devs aren't currently making it a priority.

Good ideas are also sometimes locked due to the thread running away through no fault of the original poster (or original idea).

That's why I started the Good Ideas register on the wiki (after which I promptly got distracted and let it slide :roll:).
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

irrevenant wrote:Good ideas are also sometimes locked due to the thread running away through no fault of the original poster (or original idea).
Well that's simply something that should never be done. Otherwise any idiots can come flood your thread with inanities and get it locked. What should one rather do in such a case? Split, of course.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

zookeeper wrote:
Irrevenant wrote:Good ideas are also sometimes locked due to the thread running away through no fault of the original poster (or original idea).
Well that's simply something that should never be done. Otherwise any idiots can come flood your thread with inanities and get it locked. What should one rather do in such a case? Split, of course.
Oh, agreed. But moderators are human too, and it happens sometimes - especially if a thread is long and the meaningful stuff is a few pages back.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Re: another idea.. and a question..

Post by Noyga »

enclave wrote:Question: when a developer sees that some thread is locked, what is the chance that he reads it?
Answers:
a) 100%
b) 50/50% (depends if the subject is interesting)
c) 1% (doesnt read it, because what is the point if it is locked already)

busy developers can just put a single "a" "b" or "c" as an answer...
Who cares ?
enclave wrote:Another idea: Why not to make it allowed to be locked only if 1 other developer agrees? to make it more user friendly...
a) No way
b) Go away
c) Ok
Often, the lock is a result from a discussion about the thread on IRC.
If only 1 dev agree for the lock you can expect the thread to be unlocked (after some discussion on IRC or/and the mods forum), but in reality this is rarely the case because usually when a thread is locked, it is for a good reason.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
enclave

Post by enclave »

well ok then.. Locked
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

enclave wrote:well ok then.. Locked
:roll: Nice try.

I'm going to not lock this thread just to spite you. :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
enclave

Post by enclave »

i said Locked :P :D:D:D
What doesn't kill us makes us stronger!
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Tip: you'll probably get it locked faster by asking rather than ordering and doing the lock in the style of a moderator.

Only moderators get to use green text and mean it. :P
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
db0

Post by db0 »

Hey everyone! Unlockable thread! Quick Derail! Throw bad ideas! Quick before they change their mind!

Alright, I want to see the initial era rebalanced. I've said it before that the orcs are not orcy enough. Since I'm here, lets make the vampire bats a bit stronger, since they were nerfed at they don't do anything.
Btw, when are the 1.3.16 windows binaries coming out?

:P
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

db0 wrote:Hey everyone! Unlockable thread! Quick Derail! Throw bad ideas! Quick before they change their mind!

Alright, I want to see the initial era rebalanced. I've said it before that the orcs are not orcy enough. Since I'm here, lets make the vampire bats a bit stronger, since they were nerfed at they don't do anything.
Btw, when are the 1.3.16 windows binaries coming out?

:P
The Windows binaries are out now, check the thread. :P
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]