Recalling Units After A Few Missions

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Zajoman

Recalling Units After A Few Missions

Post by Zajoman »

After several missions in a campaign, you may recall a throng of units at the beginning of next mission. That, of course, in order to play more effectively, forces you to recall rather than recruit. I find this a bit tedious. I have to search through the list and pick units by their XP and other parameters to the point that all units with at least 1 XP (which is more than recruits have) have been picked, and so I start recruiting rather than recalling. Even though there is the sort function, I find it tedious.

The solution would be to limit the number of recallable units to some reasonable number. Recalling is a great feature of campaigning, I'd just limit it a bit.
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

you can send the units you never want to recall home, if you want that empties your list quite a bit.
Zajoman

Post by Zajoman »

The problem is that, being logical, I want to use them. Those who have more than 0 XP, which is majority in the recall list, are suitable to recall, thus forcing me to spend a few turns searching and recalling.
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

My method is send home any O XP , than only keep those with at least half there xp otherwise recruit a new one it's cheaper....
And my recall list isn't jammed.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Actually, i'd say that unless the unit costs 20 or more gold from new, you're wasting money on units with only a little experience - as a general rule i won't recall anything with under ten XP at level one unless is cost me 20 or more gold in the first place. Clearing your recall list of useless units is usually a very good idea (but there are exceptions, notably when you lose the ability to recruit some units, such as Dwarvish Fighters in Northern Rebirth. In situations like that, keeping all of them is much more useful, as you can't replace your losses.

I've never had mcuh of a problem with long recall lists. I don't thnk there's a lot of need for this.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Zajoman

Post by Zajoman »

I didn't know recalled units were more expensive than recruits. I don't see any information about the price in the recall pane.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Recall cost is 20 GP as standard, and i don't think it can be changed. Therefore, units such as Mages, Horsemen, Gryphon Riders etc either cost equal to or more than the recall price, so you save by recalling them, either money, XP or both. But when you recall a 16-gp unit with minimal experience, you waste 4 gp (for example). I'm sure the recall cost is mentioned somewhere, possibly in one of the tutorial campaigns (Two Brothers and An Orcish Incursion) or in the Tips on the main screen.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Zajoman

Post by Zajoman »

I see. I take back the proposal. I've played the tutorial and The South Guard campaign and I haven't noticed that. Maybe my fault.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Don't forget, you may occasionally want to recall a unit because it has a specific trait - most notably fast, but sometimes resilient or strong, or fearless, if you had fearless lawful units and a cave scenario to play. It's sometimes well worth paying a premium to know in advance what traits the summoned unit is going to have.

That's another tip for the Wesnoth hints file, I reckon, if it's not there already.

So overall, I'd generally advise tolerating a long recall list even though it is sometimes a pest/
Zajoman

Post by Zajoman »

Yeah, I agree.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think somehow sorting the recall list would be nice though.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

1) You can sort the recall list, both by name and by XP by clicking on proper column header

2) Limiting recalls is easily doable with WML, it's not, and won't be used because current campaigns are balanced for unlimited recall
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Mist wrote:1) You can sort the recall list, both by name and by XP by clicking on proper column header
I meant "sort" as in "categorize", not just "order". ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

That's a totaly different thing I wouldn't mind myself ;) Excuse my coment then, standart coders response when he sees 'sort' (as in quicksort, bublesort and all the other ;) )
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Recalling Units After A Few Missions

Post by irrevenant »

Zajoman wrote:The solution would be to limit the number of recallable units to some reasonable number. Recalling is a great feature of campaigning, I'd just limit it a bit.
Unless you want it to drop units from your recall list at random, this is going to require you to manually prune your list anyway.