Fantasy creatures/historic units not in Wesnoth

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Here's an idea for a mage class of Summoner.

They'd be similar in stats to Silver Mages, except instead of teleport, they recieve leadership, as common sense dictates they'll need it to control their summonings.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
waw

Post by waw »

I like both your ideas.

Have you ever played Ogre Battle? The hawkmen you mentioned are similar there... Hawkmen to ravens or vulcans....

Anyways...

I think both are potentially good and again, I would volunteer to try and script some. I couldn't draw...

This thread bounces around a lot of ideas but has anybody really done something with them?
What would you give for your freedom?
cretin

Post by cretin »

i was just thinking back to the Gargoyle and that campaign that was mentioned how it froze in place for the day. That would make an interesting gameplay with them... walling off places for day lol. course you could surround them if they were isolated and kill them when darkness came.

pushing on to the Gorgons. When i first ran into the Dnd gorgons i found it funny that medusa had somehow changed into a bull. but i accepted they were different and so didnt care.

Getting to my point is that this is all fantasy, who says we have to follow Greek mythical rules and have only one Pegasus. Who says we have to follow Dnd rules and say Minotaurs are pure chaotic evil. (in dragonlance they are just... well just fighting, and they are seafarers very different from your run-of-the-maze Mino's) This is wesnoth is it not? can we not make them what WE want them to be? Could Medusa just be a pissed off forest Witch? Could flying hawkmen steal into villages to take to steal all the children? Could Hydra's be loyal guardians to the halls of a gentle mage? why not?

Im sorry to post such a long point is that i just see that very few people are willing to go off the beaten path. They dont want to create a new idea out of an old, but somewhat cut and paste it. and i know some people might view that taking something and changing it is destroying it but i disagree. Its still there, we just made a new version of it. (at least this is my view of it)

Oh well making a mystical force i would throw Minotaurs as heavy infantry, maybe gargoyles the fast scouts (kinda like ghosts). I would still throw my weight behind the idea of many Medeusa's, maybe on an evolution tree where their final form is a "stone gaze" which is naturally stronger. I still like the idea of Dog headed warriors, though Hawk warriors are cool too.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Yes, a lot of people are under the impression that change is evil. They don't want to "mess up a good thing". The problem with that is they adhere to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it". They don't realize that progress is a human trait and that if we'd adhered to that rule, we'd have never discovered fire in the first place as we have "warm caves to stay in".

I agree that change shouldn't be fast. That's why this thread focuses on finding just what people want and how to make them work. From this, we can get working models of play.

Minotaurs to Gorgons to sky gorgons. THat's the progression of them in Master Of Monsters, an inspiration to Wesnoth along with Warsong. They don't have the ability to turn enemies to stone, but rather get better attacks and traits as they go along.

And like Cretin said, there's no written law that says a creature HAS to be good or evil simply because fantasy has always made it thus. In Dragonlance, they skim the lines of neutral more than anything. Neutral Evil as a race I believe. They tend to have a code of honor similar to knighthood.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I personaly, don't think it makes sense for minotaurs to become or create gorgons (minotaur breath *probably* isn't that bad).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
ael193

Post by ael193 »

as said before we need a basilisk, not just a petrifying chiken of doom. preferibly it be the eglish mythology style serpent, like the one in harry potter, not the DnD style pudgy lisard wiht spines
cretin

Post by cretin »

alright i was starting to forget what everyone was posting as ideas so im just going to list some of the ideas i could find through all these pages.

Gnolls, Elephant, Hydra, Chimera, Manticore, Cyclops, Giant, Mummie, Jabberwock (hehe), Lobster, Wyrms (though i think someone said someone knew someone who was working on making these), Centaur, Hawkmen, Minotaur, Satyre, Pegasus (Flying-Horses if you really prefer it), Rocs, Gorgon/Medusa, Gargoyle, Basilisk, Sphynx (this would be a great monster for a puzzle in a campaign.

There is also a few i didnt add here which are easy to find on the first post

i would like to add well little fire breathing lizards. well not that small about the size of a small pony. I wouldnt know what to call them though.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

ael193 wrote:as said before we need a basilisk, not just a petrifying chiken of doom. preferibly it be the eglish mythology style serpent, like the one in harry potter, not the DnD style pudgy lisard wiht spines
The Wesnoth one isn't a basilisk per se, on English you would call it a cockatrice (that also petrify with its gaze) while the basilisk is the lizard thing we already know and love.

tought, on certain lenguages the basilisk is the chicken thing and they don't recognise the lizard one, heck I even didn't know the lizard was the true thing until I saw on a book of mytical monsters what it was :P
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
waw

Post by waw »

I agree on the Basilisk. If someone wants to help, here is what I am willing to try to program, will take a bit though:

Mythic Faction

Centaur (Cavalry, may be a bit more like Elvish scouts, close and long range attacks, probably carry a bow, or a spear and throw them like javelineers)

Minotaur (Heavy Infantryman, able to take on most units close range but lack long range)

Salamander (lil lizard that breathes fire, sorta like mage) Mayhaps third stage will be a dragon/wyvern/drake unit that people can use.

I'd probably mix Giant into the Cyclops evolution tree much to everyone's chagrin because it makes more sense.

I would have a Gorgon tree that was basically archers, they do not turn people to stone and do not turn into Medusa (Medusa would be a special one in the campaign story that does have the Stone Gaze ability!)

Basilisk as another special monster (see Medusa)

Mummy->Pharoah

(maybe something else there) Definetly the leaders of the group, they would use magics.

Scouts would either be Gargoyle or Pegasus. Gargoyle would have amazing defense and move as a scout, but in the day would either have nothing or not be able to move. Essentially making them highly vulnerable.

Pegasus/Flying Horse may just have a rider on it or be its own unit... not sure on that yet.

Need a good regular infantry force but I think they are fairly balanced. Sphinx can get thrown in there as an alternate for a mummy.

I'll try to do what I can with these but please realize I've never scripted a unit... I'll try to do one today and post it up.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

As mosters go, we should probably have heffalumps and jagulars.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
hjwn

Post by hjwn »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:As mosters go, we should probably have heffalumps and jagulars.
Are these Finnish monsters? There aren't any yet in Westnoth as far as I know. They could oppose the Mediterranean ones:
waw wrote:Centaur (Cavalry, may be a bit more like Elvish scouts, close and long range attacks, probably carry a bow, or a spear and throw them like javelineers)

Minotaur (Heavy Infantryman, able to take on most units close range but lack long range)
Don't know where the N00botaur fits though.
waw wrote:Mummy->Pharoah
uhhh, normally the Pharaoh levels to a Mummy (when he dies), but if game play requires, this is ok with me too.
just blame it on the rng when you lose
waw

Post by waw »

I was thinking more along the lines of the movie the Mummy...

See in the undead faction, dark adepts eventually turn into the undead or a still living sorceror...

I was thinking the opposite for the mummy

A unit that hates being undead so they take the 'souls', or whatever way you phrase it, of their enemies and try to become living again. If so, they are a powerful sorceror, the Pharaoh.
cretin

Post by cretin »

personally i think sphinx should be like the basilisk and medusa, special monster that doesnt show up every day.

you could have someting like a lesser mummy which evolves into a greater mummy. then it could split through a more sorcerous mummy or poisonous or combat. So:

Lesser mummy --> Greater mummy --> Pharo or Other Guy
waw

Post by waw »

The other guy would probably continue being undead.

You are right, my wife would kill me if I made sphinx something mundane! (She's big in mythology)

Lesser mummy--> Greater Mummy --> Pharoah/ ???

No idea what to call it!

EDIT:

Instead of trying to do a separate Hawkman faction I am going to see what happens when I try to add them into this...

I am going through basics right now and will post later in their own thread about my version of the mythic faction
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Are these Finnish monsters?
No, they are mythical beasts of the Hundred Acre Wood.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.